Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

LST2 or MTA4/MGT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LST2 or MTA4/MGT?

Hi, sorry, but I just posted this in the MGT thread.. But I don't know how many people go there, and I want a new toy soon...

OK guys, I'm a Savage guy. Have a Savage 25 and really like it. Was wanting something a bit peppier..., so got a Savage X with a 3-speed and an Axial 28. Thing is, I just don't like the X, and based on videos I've seen, I decided to sell the X(unused, brand-new) and get an LST2... It's on e-bay now, and will hopefully be sold by the end of the week..

Well, I live in Germany and LST2 parts would be a pain to come by I thiink.., and the MTA4 is pretty popular here(and a good €120 cheaper than an LST2..) How do you think these two trucks compare out of the box?

I've never really considered an MTA4 before, but it might just be a more sensible choice. My Savage 25 is stock and really fun, but I want a second truck with a considerable speed and handling upgrade.. That said, my Savage has spoiled me with respect to toughness...

So, is an MTA4 4.6(or LST2, for that matter..) TOUGH out of the box, or do you have to do a bunch of upgrades? I should mention that I'm not the type who enjoys working on these things, but loves going out and thrashing. Then, coming home and throwing it in the corner til next time..(OK OK, I take care of my Savage, clean it, use after-run oil, etc.. I just want a tough, reliable, fast truck..) My Savage has been perfect for that. Wrenching for me is a hassle, a means to an end..

And what about handling and speed? At this point my only RC experience is my Savage 25 - about 2 1/2 gallons at this point..(BTW, I'm not selling the Axial - will either put it into my first Savage eventually, or maybe into whatever my second truck ends up being...)

What are the weak points? This is just a random idea(was set on the LST2 but just can't find the parts I'd want for it right away, like a roll bar - and ordering from the States is a pain..), but I saw a pic of an MTA4 and liked that it's so big(one of the main reasons I like the LST2 - and its speed of course...) Have to admit too, lots of people on lots of forums say it's a good truck..., but I never hear anything really specific.. I've never even seen a vid of one..

Thanks..

And no, I won't be racing. Just bashing - how hard depends on if I can ever find some good spots...(not so easy thus far. Where I live is flat as a pancake..)

Old 05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
redfox03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LST2 or MTA4/MGT?

mgt is a pretty good truck. dont really have to do much to it out of the box, pretty good basher as well as racer (even though ya dont race). oh yeah, i posted a response to this in the mgt forum too. i dont have any experience with the lst 2, but another good site to learn about these two trucks is m****rum.com. pretty cool, they even talk about revos and savages. lots of tips and vids too.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
HerrSavage

Thanks. Now another forum to check out... Appreciate it.

ps One of the reasons I never really considered an MTA4 - at all - is because of how Germans love to badmouth Savages so much and praise MTA4's. Made me defensive I guess.. But all I really want in the end is the best truck for my money..
Old 05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
HerrSavage

And does anyone have a pic with both or all of these trucks in them to compare size? Thanks..
Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

And does anyone have a pic with both or all of these trucks in them to compare size? Thanks..
Difficult to tell, but the left hand-side row (as you look as it) has my MGT at the front, with 2 Savages behind. The second truck on the right is also an MGT. The MGT is noticeable bigger when the trucks are side by side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46372.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	461843  
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
blackrain

mgt is a solid truck i run a lrp spec 2 in mine only thing i suggest is use red loctite on center drivetrain.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
HerrSavage

Thanks. Yeah, looks huge..

This is the one going on sale here in Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Monstertruck-Thun...QQcmdZViewItem

Is it decent quality? And is 75kmh realistic, or just BS?..
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
snowbl!nd

Yes, it is very good quality.

75kph is'nt very realistic though - maximum you're likely to get with stock gearing is 35-40mph (55-65kph)
Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
HerrSavage

So, Savage SS territory.. But not LST2 territory?..
Old 05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
blackrain

for more speed do the forward only some of the hop ups i run are rpm arms and nuckles forward only and A.E. factory aluminum shocks and caps and there steering kit
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
snowbl!nd

It's not far off LST speeds. Just remember these things aren't built for speed, and you're making a mistake if you buy an MT just because it's the fastest.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
HerrSavage

Like I said though, I want something faster than my 25, but hopefully still as tough. I've seen some very impressive LST2 bashing vids, and they look very big and fast.. Problem is it's always hard to tell what's stock. I've never seen an MGT/MTA4 vid..

And blackrain, do you run those hop-ups because you like them, or because the stock parts need hopping up?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
blackrain

just buy choice over time since i race my mgt because rpm stuff are guranteed for life since they never break and if the do they replace for free. i also like having the larger nuckle bearings since the handle big power better as far as shocks after a few gallons on them the plastic ones would pop open. but these are things i did down the road after i had it for a while to give it my own personal touch.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
HerrSavage

So a .28 MTA4 is good to go right out of box then? I always thought they were cheaper cuz the quality was less....

But don't really know what to think anymore after this ridiculous Savage X..
Old 05-15-2006, 02:02 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

You can't go wrong with either an MGT or an LST2. The LST2 will beat the MGT out of the box and has a nicer radio, but the MGT is cheaper so you would have more money for upgrades etc.
They are both faster and better handleing than a savage.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:11 PM
HerrSavage

Thanks. And, as tough?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

I have drove my mgt 3 full gallons. I have broke two a-arms ( my fault, hit a stop sign.) and one grub scew pin. And i have had some bad crashes. I really love it. I have the .21 enigine and i think it has good power. I assume the 4.6 is much better. Cant go wrong with the mgt.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
huw4027

Hey Patrick both the MGT and LST2 are good trucks but the MGT is US200 plus dollars cheaper.
If cost is not a factor you would have to look at parts availability and hopups.
I own a MGT but i also really like the LST2.
Monster trucks were designed to bash and have fun and in my opinion should not be purchased
for racing only. If racing is what you want it for buy a truggy like i did.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
HerrSavage

Racing is not in the picture.. Just fun for me - but for me working on and fixing these things isn't fun(compounded by the fact that I have no available space to work on them really..) Going out and driving a reliable, tough truck that won't constantly have problems is. That's why toughness is so important.. So far my Savage 25 has fit the bill perfectly. As already stated, I just want something a bit faster, and preferably bigger and better handling - but still tough.

I have to say, I like that the MTA4 is so big, but I have doubts about quality - at least compared to the Savage. And most of all, I have doubts about durability.. Seem to be quite a few parts available though. The Germans seem to have a prejudice against Savages, and praise MTA4's instead.., so they're pretty popular here(at leat on the internet - never seen one in person..)

The LST2 I really like, but availability of parts is a major concern..

For about the exact same price BTW, I could get the MTA4 .28 AND a Nosram .28(supposedly the same as the LRP Z.28R Spec 2) for the same price as an LST2...

I want something soon, but damn this is a tough call. Really don't want to end up with a €700 broken down truck, having to wait a month for parts from the States to get here...

Course I could always get a new Savage SS kit without engine (€299)and drop my spanking new Axial .28 in there...

The Axial is just sitting there at home with Mugen shoes, 18T HPI vented clutch bell, Savage motor mount - all already installed by Slapmafro.., and I've got a new motor-saver air-filter for it PLUS BOTH new ribbed and polished pipes just waiting for it..
Old 05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I want something soon, but damn this is a tough call. Really don't want to end up with a €700 broken down truck, having to wait a month for parts from the States to get here...
I think that should rule out the LST straight away. If there is little/no support in your area for the LST take it off the list. Every truck will break eventually, and if your waiting weeks for parts it'll seem like a waste of money.

I bought the MGT because of (what i believed to be) good parts support in the local area. If i was buying another truck i'd consider support before anything else. If everyone near you has AND praises the MGT, there must be a reason why.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
HerrSavage

Well, LOCALLY, it's only Savage(and Kyosho). I really f'ing HATE my LHS guy.. But in Germany there are lots of MTA4 enthusiasts, and parts are fairly easily findable...

I did just find a German online shop with RPM arms for the LST...
Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
snowbl!nd

Unfortunately though, you'll need more than just RPM arms for spares - and that goes for any truck.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 AM
huw4027

Patrick, the answer is steering you blatantly in the face..buy the MGT !!!!!!!!
Honestly at the rate you are going you will end up buying nothing at all because guess what,
there is no such thing as a perfect indestrutible truck.
Things will break that is why it is crucial that parts can be had easily.
You have heard my views as well as many others and we strongly feel that the MGT is a good
choice.
Take the plunge.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah, it's all starting to seem that way. MTA4 is looking like the way to go..

Thanks though for all you guys' patience..
Old 05-19-2006, 08:45 AM
huw4027

Please let us know when you get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.