Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Diff Locking Grease - FOUND IT !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Diff Locking Grease - FOUND IT !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 08:27 PM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diff Locking Grease - FOUND IT !!!

I have been trying to get my hands on the OFNA Diff Locking Grease for months now with no such luck. Did they stop making it?? Who knows. What I do know is that I found something by far much better. This stuff is great!

Check it out www.badhorsie.com

Careful though, it is seriously sticky!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best diff locking fluid is 2 part epoxy. solves all your climbing, crawling, or pulling needs. That grease sounds like it would work pretty good though.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:36 PM
godlyone

Two-part epoxy, shoe goo, clay hardened by a catylist, a spool. These things all do about the same thing, they lock up the axles. The cool thing about OFNA Diff Lock Grease (which I can't find anywhere) and this badhorsie Diff Lock Grease is that you can add a light coating to your gears and get a partially spooled effect or you can pack it in there and get a very nicely spooled effect. The benefit is that you don't hammer your drivelines and where down your tires so quickly because the grease is much more forgiving. I only put it in the rear for purposes of powering out of corners at the track (WAY COOL) but when I was messing around in a parking lot yesterday, my T was climbing curbs quite effortlessly with its new found traction and turning was not a problem at all which tells me that the wear effect is gonna be much less than the spool I had been using. So we are looking for some fresh tires now

For anyone who doesn't know of this trick, you might ask around with the old-timers, they seem to have been doing this for years.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:08 PM
dbow

Default Diff

I use the Mugen silicon diff grease, its not really grease but more of a taffy looking substance.
You can set your diffs to any point with all the different viscosities that they have. To lock it up you could use say 100,000 which would not totally lock it up but would be close.

Try it out, you might like it.

Dbow
Old 12-23-2002, 08:20 PM
T-machine

I have been trying to find an alternative to OFNA grease for a whiles , didn't know Mugen made some?. I checked out the badhorsie site and what they have seems pretty cool. Where are you guys getting your heavy grease from. I thought about using some heavy automotive grease but my friend told me it wouldnt work like anything close to a spool. The badhorsie site claims that their grease is so sticky that it will work like a spool but without damaging your drive-lines and stuff which is a huge problem my friend has. After seeing his frustration with breaking things because of his spool I'm definately not going there.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Isphius

i glued mine up becauase i dont really care about tire wear. if you look at the giant ofna lug wheels the have about 1/2 inch of tread on them. i could do laps on dry street for the life of my truck and i dont think they will wear out. I am getting a txt1 and im going to try some of those heavy greases out.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:58 PM
jefx

Default RE: Diff Locking Grease - FOUND IT !!!

godlyone, I just bought some OFNA Diff Lock Lube from my LHS. This stuff is incredibly nasty. I've got it now in the rear diff (but haven't ran it yet), but I am hesitant about putting it in the front diff. If you have tried it, then what is your opinion?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
godlyone

That stuff is absolutely gnarly! I was told that it seeps out so I was hesitant to try it but when I did finally get some and tried it out for a few months I went back to the Bad Horsie grease because the OFNA stuff did seep out over time. Probably not enough to be a problem for most, I just didn't like the idea that it ended up on my ring gear for obvious reasons. The whole idea of a limited slip diff is definately worth it's weight in gold, the traction is sweet. As for the front diff, I wouldn't do it unless all you do is hill climb, it will seriously kill your turning abilities. Actually, the diff locking grease idea was meant to help turning capabilities and offset the "pushing" effect that many T-Maxxers have when they drive into a corner. With the added traction of the limited slip diff you get a better chance of powering through the corner and leting it just "hang out there". You'll love it for sure!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 PM
BigBlocked

In my X I was running the 100000 wt Mugen before I made the lockers. The Mugen dif oil is good stuff. I may try some of the Badhorsie grease in my Savage....
Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 PM
jefx

I don't do much hill climbing. When you said it "was meant to help turning capabilities and offset the "pushing" effect that many T-Maxxers have when they drive into a corner." Do you mean that this effect is achieved when the grease is placed in the rear diff, the front diff, or both? I was thinking that since the front inside wheel raises off the ground during most sharp high power turns, eliminating the front wheel drive, that "greasing" the front diff may actually help gain traction and pull the truck through the turn. I figured that since it is limited slip, even low speed turns wouldn't be too badly affected. Am I wrong?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:53 AM
BigBlocked

Locking, either the front, or rear difs will cause a dramatic decrease in turning. Especially when locking the front.

In a normal slip dif the inside wheel pivots. When locked or semi locked this pivoting is slim to nil.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:04 AM
jefx

I'm not sure what you mean. When turning, the outside wheel has to spin faster than the inside wheel because it covers more ground (if they're both on the ground), but since the diff isn't actually locked, one wheel can still travel faster than the other. Especially when you consider the three-wheel-motion.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:09 PM
godlyone

jefx,

The initial reason behind slowing our rear spider gears down was to allow us to fly into a corner and set up for it like you would on a dirt oval track. Slowing the spider gears down enough gives us just enough added traction to hang out the rear end and "power" through the corner at full throttle all the while others are forced to slow down and brake. Aside from this technique, the added traction is just plain fun anyplace you go.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:17 PM
jefx

Awesome. Power slides. This stuff sounds great, I can't wait to get out and try it. I've got the rear diff packed full, I'll leave the front diff empty, and see how it goes. Maybe later I'll experiment with just a little in the front. Thanks for the input.

One more thing, does anyone have any tips for removing the stuff from hands, tools, diff, milk jug, cat, etc. It sticks to everything. What a mess. The only thing I have strong enough to remove it is automotive carb/choke cleaner spray, but it eats your skin off as well, plus the cat doesn't like it.