Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice trucks

very nice.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:48 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default dominator/thunder quake

trey3670.....Which one gets most of your attention?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:43 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

the dominator right now its new but iv only had the thunder quake for a coupla weeks too got in a trade,but with all the stuff in my shop iv allways got a project,they arent just models to me they all have a story and a personality,sounds weird huh?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:57 PM
crash_me_over

No it doesn't sound weird to me. I think it's like most anything we own for a period of time.....like power tools for instance. I have used mine on several projects and after wards think about how much wood I have cut with them and just admire how great they work and last. I can see the same thing with RC cars /trucks/airplanes, etc. It builds good memories!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 PM
trey3670

i know what ya mean,a tool is the hardest thing to throw away after its worn out i mean theres nothing you can do with it but i jus keep puting em further under the bench heheh
Old 12-27-2002, 10:21 PM
mountainbiker
Banned
My Feedback: (29)

Default juggernaut

hey do you have a e-mail to send pics to??
Old 12-27-2002, 11:48 PM
WeirdKooKy

I never thought I would ever say this after owning a Duratrax Maximum ST, but I think that Thunder Quake is pretty cool. The two speed forward and reverse is nice and sounds like it is well built, and they apparently used ball and pivot suspension! Gee whiz, that truck has it all, including the fact that the wheel base appears wider than the Dominator. Does the Thunder Quake have any short comings?
Old 12-28-2002, 01:51 AM
trey3670

it does have pillow ball suspension,and yeah its wider than the dominator but quite a bit slower,i just leaned out the dom an its hyper .21 t-day that thing is faaaasst no need for a second gear its just got the one,it reminds of a 1/8th buggy the way it handles and its speed tried to turn it over just to see what the limits where and on dirt it is very hard to roll the suspension just soaks up everything,it has front and rear sway bars and i think that makes all the difference,the thunder quake has a slower top speed even with second gear,its gotta be the big tires! both of these trucks have the same size power plant but the dom is alot lighter,by looking at them you can tell witch one was made for racing,i think the quake would be a monster t-maxx killer with a .40 4-stroke on her! its built better than a maxx,i bet the only reason nobody hopped on the monster truck boat when it came out was the durratrax name
Old 12-28-2002, 03:09 AM
WeirdKooKy

I have the Monster Pirate and I agree that it handles better at higher speeds than other monster trucks (ie. T-maxx and Savage) but those trucks are better for crawling. The Duratrax Torq .21 is probably a weak engine compared to the Hyper and most likely is the reason for the speed difference. I love the MP or Dominator trucks, they are geared really well for lots of torque and getting the most out of your engine.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:52 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Thats whats so cool about RC trucks.Some people spend hours and hours building models just to look at them.
With our creations we not only get to look at how rad they look,we get to drive them to boot!
BNZ'
Old 12-28-2002, 04:36 AM
trey3670

yeah thats it bones everyone a those cars i have driven,cept the dragster its diecast,but they are cool the samurai iv pent hours putting together,had to build it from peice's on e-bay that was my first car
Old 12-28-2002, 04:44 AM
trey3670

has any body really looked at the body that comes with the dominator? ill get some pics and post t-morrow but this thing is cool its roll bar is alot like a clods and it has mirrors to mount to!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:27 PM
crash_me_over

trey3670.....Are you running the stock Torq 21 engine in your thunder quake? If so....can you tell me what your high and low needle settings are set at? I have one here that refuses to fire. I suspect the needles may be off but want to check with you to see if you can give me a clue. I've tried it all and this bad dog is not budging.

Yep....I've done all of the other "tricks in the book" just in case you ask.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:12 PM
WeirdKooKy

Try using a blow dryer to warm it up, and then when you get it running you can adjust it from there. Normally needles are adjusted 3 turns out from seat. Here's a really dumb question, how is the compression, also is the starter shaft worn out so bad that crank case pressure is being lost? Try putting your finger over the carb. opening and see if there is a vacuum occuring, this will also prime the fuel a little. If all else fails, tear down the carb. and check seals and passages.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:48 PM
crash_me_over

Originally posted by WeirdKooKy
Try using a blow dryer to warm it up, and then when you get it running you can adjust it from there. Normally needles are adjusted 3 turns out from seat. Here's a really dumb question, how is the compression, also is the starter shaft worn out so bad that crank case pressure is being lost? Try putting your finger over the carb. opening and see if there is a vacuum occuring, this will also prime the fuel a little. If all else fails, tear down the carb. and check seals and passages.

Yep....I've done all of the other "tricks in the book" just in case you ask.

No dumb questions when it comes to nitro engines. You know how these little buggers can make you bite fingernails!

It's brand new....so lots of compression. I've checked everything and it all looks as it should. Turned the plug 1/2 turn for lose to help with starting. Did the blow dryer job without luck. Tried several different glow plugs.....different fuels.....different needle settings.....you name it.....I've tried it. It's just one tough cookie that won't get up and go. Since I don't have a starter box I have been wondering if it would start with one. The pull starter works fine.....the engine just won't light up. I think it has the flu!
Old 12-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Bluehydro8

Default Yeah I agree

I agree with you crash, nitro engines do give you a whole lot of trouble. take for example my ofna titan, I couldn't get it running for about 3 days after I got it. I finally did, I guess it just takes some getting used to. give some after run oil a try, that helped me with the .25. It may also be the elevation and the temperature of the climate you are in so try adjusting your high and low speed needles. good luck
Old 12-29-2002, 02:48 AM
trey3670

ill get the needle settings for you t-morrow,i turn out the plug about 1 full turn to start it to,and my starter box works ok its not got quite enough power for the 21 engines it wont even budge the new one on my dom,im useing a os #3 and 20% nitro in mine its hard ta start but after it warms up if it quits(rarely does) its easyer to start than when shes cold ill get the needle settings tomorrow
Old 12-29-2002, 04:08 AM
crash_me_over

Hey guys....What's a modeler to do? I made the journey to the hobby store and bought "the only one" starter box. It's an Ofna 1/8 - 1/10 scale starter box with 12 volt hookup. It came as a kit so I'm going to put it together tonight and the try it tomorrow.

Ya know....I actually got two blisters pulling on that pull starter. I had to get my leather work gloves on to keep the blisters from growing.

Bluehydro8....I did not try the after run oil so I'll give that a shot tomorrow also. Good Point! Thanks.

trey3670....I went to Tower's website and looked at the Torq 21 engine and it listed the needle settings there. It says 2 1/2 turns on the high speed....and low speed should be flush with the body. That is where I have the settings for now and will see tomorrow if the starter box will bring this dog to life.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:15 AM
trey3670

good luck!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:26 AM
trey3670

Default needle settings

hey crash the needle setting on mines is,high speed 3 1/4 out and the low range/midrange needle is flush with housing of carb,hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2002, 03:51 AM
crash_me_over

Default Re: needle settings

Originally posted by trey3670
hey crash the needle setting on mines is,high speed 3 1/4 out and the low range/midrange needle is flush with housing of carb,hope this helps!

trey3670....Thanks for the info. Here's an update.

NO GO!!!

This has to be a first for me. I have enjoyed many engines over the years and NEVER...have I ran across an engine I could not start. My only conclusion is that there is a defect in the engine and since I just got it.....I do not intend to tear it apart and go hunting for a manufacture defect. It's going back tomorrow by UPS per instructions of Tower.

I thought the strong torque of the 12 volt starter box would make the difference but it had no affect on it. Hey....the good news is I now own a nice starter box!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys....I always appreciate how generous you all are with your help.