RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hitec servo good for Tmaxx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 07:56 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec servo good for Tmaxx?

Hi, I just ordered a Hitec 5645 servo for my Tmaxx, supposed to have like 168oz torque, wow, and it was only $55 shipped! I couldn't resist, anybody running Hitec, are they good and/or reliable? I know I already ordered it, but I'm curious how the quality of these are cause the prices are great. Thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 01:29 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

They are not bad at all. Some people love them and some hate them but you can't beat them for the price. And they have an awesome warranty.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 AM
BIGDADEPUMP

I just got a high speed hitec servo the other day to give the new Maxx more responsive steering and to keep it under control when hitting top end. I did notice a difference in control, but one bad thing is that the stock servo saver will not fit on the Hitec. You have to experiment with a couple different horns. I find that the Aluminum arm that comes with the Hitec works best and will not break like the plastics. A good upgrade if you ask me and it is often an overlooked upgrade.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:58 AM
old skool

The analog ones are okay, I guess, but avoid the digital Hitecs like the plague! I've had four burn out on me in a row, they were returned to the factory for repair and when I got them back two still didn't work. Hitec digital servos are garbage, and I know I am not the only one to think that about them. You're better off with Airtronics or KO. I am running an Airtronics 94358 for steering in my Mad Force. 200oz/in. of torque, can't beat that with a stick!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:39 AM
astronut30

Awww Man, I ordered a digital one, I guess I'll try and contact them, hopefully they haven't sent it yet, Old Skool, U burnt out 4 in a row? Man I hope I can switch it, do you think the analog ones will be alright? Any experiences with those? Hey Bigdadepimp, so the horn that came with the servo will work? Do I have to get any other parts? Thanks Guys
Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

This guy must be doing something wrong I have 25 Hitech didgital servos in my planes right now. Havent a single failure. I am trusting $4,000.00 worth of airplanes to Hitech digital servos and I sleep well. I think Hitech digital servos are the best made.

Joe Brannon

"The analog ones are okay, I guess, but avoid the digital Hitecs like the plague! I've had four burn out on me in a row, they were returned to the factory for repair and when I got them back two still didn't work. Hitec digital servos are garbage, and I know I am not the only one to think that about them. You're better off with Airtronics or KO. I am running an Airtronics 94358 for steering in my Mad Force. 200oz/in. of torque, can't beat that with a stick!"
Old 12-29-2002, 01:01 AM
BIGDADEPUMP

Yeah, I am going to have to agree, I have the Hitec Digital and have not experienced any difficulty with it. As far as the Servo horn is concerned, go with the servo saver that came with the Maxx. You have to get the adapter so the head of the servo will fit the saver. It is a small plastic piece. Do not use any of the pieces that came with the servo. The screw in the head of the servo will keep backing itself out. I just realized the fix today and take the advice to save yourself the aggrevation. I like the Hitec and I reccommend it. Big difference.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:04 AM
astronut30

Hey , where could I get the adapter from? Thanks for the input......
Old 12-30-2002, 01:32 AM
spliff
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hitec

Does anyone know the amount of torque on the standard t-maxx included steering servo. I've got a bunch of 100 or so ounce fma and hitecs from planes that I would change out if it would help. Not that I am complaining about the standard one. In other words, is it even useful to change out the steering servo at all? If so, I'd also like to know where to get the adapter mentioned in the previous post. Also, if the steering would be "improved" with a higher torque/faster servo, would the throttle benefit from a high speed throttle servo?

BTW, been flying for a couple of years, but got a t-maxx for christmas.......what a blast!!!!!!!! Love it.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:51 AM
BIGDADEPUMP

Default Adapter

When I got the digi Hitec, I was kind of iritated that the stock servo saver would not work with the Hitec head. I put the Aluminum horn on the Maxx that came with the servo. Unfortunatly the Horn sat to low on the head of the servo and caused the screw to keep working itself out. All my buddies said just loctite it. But loctite on the servo head just doesn't sound right. So I went down to the hobby shop and picked up the Traxxas Servo Saver. Yup, it's the same saver that comes with the Maxx, only in the packet Traxxas was thoughtful enough to include adapters for different servos. Problem solved and the screw does not work itself out. You gain better control and less pushing of the truck in turns. You get a more powerful and responsive control of your truck. Worth the >50 ducketts, NO, but a good upgrade none the less.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:34 AM
old skool

Originally posted by JBrannon
This guy must be doing something wrong I have 25 Hitech didgital servos in my planes right now. Havent a single failure. I am trusting $4,000.00 worth of airplanes to Hitech digital servos and I sleep well. I think Hitech digital servos are the best made."
I think that perhaps, short of a crash, it may be that the harsh conditions of off-road driving may cause premature failure of the circuit board on the Hitec digitals? On-road cars are a little more forgiving but I have still heard of the Hitec digitals failing, at a still unacceptably high rate. Every other brand I have so far tried, in both analog and digital versions, have been much more reliable. This includes Airtronics, Futaba and KO.

And FWIW, yes I had the end-points set correctly.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:22 AM
himark
My Feedback: (9)

Spliff...
I heard from a LHS the output of a stock servo is 78oz. Seems high to me.. I swithed mine to 6 volts and that seemed to maybe acheive the 78 that they are claiming. Made a huge difference would reccomend to anyone as first upgrade.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:50 AM
astronut30

Default Does anyone know the amount of torque on the standard t-maxx included steering servo

yea, I believe the stock 2055 servo has 80 oz torque........... Well I ended up sticking with the digital, I did contact servo city, the people I ordered it from and was able to change my order if I wanted but they said that the earlier digital's had a problem, but the problem was taken care of and that i won't have any problems with it now, so I went ahead and stuck with the digital servo, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed...........
Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 AM
pirate man

good servo's . i have never had hitec servo fail on me . I us it on my rc heli. loops & rolls no problem. I also just bought my MT (pirate monster) six months ago and us it for steering the big wheels, no problem there. you wont be disapointed by going with hitec servo's . good choice

cowboysfan
Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 AM
astronut30

Cool, I'm happy to hear the good news.......
Old 01-09-2003, 03:17 AM
maxxman
My Feedback: (4)

i just want to ask another question, can this servo be used with the tq radio? i get upset all the time cause my maxx's low speed steering sux! the servo barely wants to turn the wheels unless they,re moving quick. thanks
Old 01-09-2003, 03:23 AM
astronut30

Yea, that servo can be used with the TQ radio........ I just put in the servo yesterday HS-5645MG, it's pretty strong, can pretty much turn the wheels at a stand still, I think it'll be a little better if I put in a hump pack though, I'm only running the alkaline batteries still. Well I guess time will tell how reliable it is for me, so far looks good!