Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Beginner here, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Max_Tamiya_Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner here, need some help!

Hey everyone, i just joined RCU about an hour ago and so far all i can say is... WOW! This has gotta be one of the best RC related sites ive seen. I am just getting into this, so sorry if i ask a lot of questions heh.
Well i have decided that i want to buy a truck, and the one that has really caught my eye is the Tamiya TXT-1. From what i have heard, electrics are a little easier to maintain and whatnot, so i figured i would start out with that. I knew this was gonna cost a bit of money to start out with, but i totally forgot that you have to buy the charger, battery pack, and controller seperate. So i have decided to buy the kit, and then get the rest afterwards. I am looking for any tips that you guys and gals have for me, and i am also searching the forums for anything that will help me. Glad to be hear and hope to hear from y'all soon!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 AM
JFACKY

Default RE: Beginner here, need some help!

Well Max, First let me Welcome you to the site. Tamiyas are great kits . I'm on my second Thundershot. The first one I owned was WAAAY back in 88 just after they first came out. I got interested in the hobby again about a year ago and picked up another one.

The kits are pretty easy to assemble, if you follow the directions.

As far as the rest goes.
1) Get a middle to upper end FM computer radio. You'll be better off in the long run. They are far more adjustable then the cheaper AM ones and you can, if you get more than one vehicale you can set up different models on the same radio. I have a Futaba 3PM
2) batteries. read around the site and you'll get an idea of witch ones are better.
3) chargers. get a digital charger that peaks the packs rather than uses time. the batteries will last a lot longer and give better performance. I have the dura-trax piranha digital AC/DC peak charger, about 50 bucks on towerhobbies. It can charge all of the batteries for my R/C equipment. TX,RX PPs.
just my 2cts. I'm sure other people will pipe up before too long

HTH

Jim
Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Max_Tamiya_Fan

THanks for the tips so far, and yeah i do hope some other people pipe up haha. Like i said, i am just getting into this sport, but am looking for opinions on the Tamiya TXT-1, and any other tips, Thanks again
Old 06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

for a cheaper route id rather get the traxxas E-MAXX its around 330s ready to run..well u still need batteries and the chargers ..unless your more into crawling then ill get the txt..emaxx is the electric version of the tmaxx ..it has a lot of parts support and hop ups too..
check out ultimatehobbies.com for a cheaper price and i think new world hobbies is cheap too..goodluck
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Max_Tamiya_Fan

Yeah i dunno, ive been thinking about it some more... maybe the TxT isnt for me... its not fast at all, but i do love how it looks, and from all the movies i have seen of it, it looks like a great crawling/climbing truck... *sigh* this is a hard hobby to get into lol.. Maybe i should go with gas... or stick with the electric like i planned... like i said before, any tips are more than welcome ( Tips / opinions on Tamiya TxT 1 or any beginner advice )
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
badboy2

nitro is more exciting than electric..the sound of an engine running makes u get more excited lol..theres a monster truck in kit form and its one of the best too its the savage x ss ..in case u wanna try nitro instead that will be a good pick
Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Max_Tamiya_Fan

i cant decide lol... one day im saying to myself... ok im gonna get the txt 1 and thats it... but then sometimes im thinking i wont enjoy it because of the speed.... one of the videos i saw, they upgraded it ( not sure with what ) but it seemed to get some decent speed... And yeah im looking at savages and revs right now... i kinda like em but i dunno...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:38 AM
badboy2

if u want speed txt is not for u..for electric choices u got ezilla and emaxx and then u got a lot of choices when it comes to nitro..
Old 06-30-2006, 03:29 PM
skeeter1255

well tamiyafan dont worry I had the some poblem starting this hobby.first I had to decide nitro or elecrtric I ended up going with nitro here it is electric is alright but nitro is better look nitr is gas just put the gas and go electric as soon as the battery runs out your dun for the day till u charger and those batteries from what I see a expensive well the good ones. also nitro is much more popular and most hobby shop have more nitro items. the thing about nitri is that u have to do maintenenece yes it will be hard at fisrt but later on it will get much easier. if you do go with nitro the best truck will be the Savage.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Nebukatnizar

geta emaxx.......if you were planning to go electric, don't switch ove to nitro, their 2 tottally diffreent machines. i would have to put my vote up for the e-maxx...hands down...dont go to nitro if you're not 101% sure on your pkan to do so

E-Maxx all the way!

haha[8D]
Old 07-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Max_Tamiya_Fan

Thanks for the input everyone, but i have decided to start out with the Tamiya TXT 1. The only reason i am getting into this hobby is because i saw that exact truck on a magazine cover, and said to myself " i want one! " lol. I was goofin around with my $20 wal-mart truck the other day, and realized that i do like the climbing and crawling... maybe i'll get a fast truck / car later on. I'll try and post some pics of the build process / finish, and i'll keep this thread going because i am sure i will need some tips when building. Should get my truck in a week or two... and thanks again guys