Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

monster gt vs revo 3.3? what should i get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

monster gt vs revo 3.3? what should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
motocrosser74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monster gt vs revo 3.3? what should i get?

What are the good and badfs of the monster gt and the traxxas revo 3.3? And what one should I get? All I know is the Revo 3.3 is 1/10 scale and is alot more expensive and the monster gt is a 1/8 scale and it is alot less expensive.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 PM
duckedup

Default RE: monster gt vs revo 3.3? what should i get?

both are good trucks. IMO- the MGT is a better basher, the Revo is a better racer - also a good basher though ..... I like my MGT
Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Mechanicsn

I've got both and I run the MGT more than the Revo. I don't race, I just play in the local dirt pit and I find the MGT easier to work on. You really can't go wrong with either truck, they're both pretty tough. It's kind of a toss-up but I vote MGT, mainly because it's bigger!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
motocrosser74

or what about a scavage x?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Fiegs

ORIGINAL: Mechanicsn

You really can't go wrong with either truck, they're both pretty tough.
I agree...I chose the Revo 3.3 b/c im more of a racer. The MGT is a great truck.It just depends on what you want your truck to do.Also if you are buying from a local hobby shop,look and see what kind of parts they stock so if you need a spare part it is easily avalible.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:30 AM
duckedup

Savage is another good choice, probably the strongest of the bunch but not as easy to work on. It's much easier to put together a list of priorities and then ask what you want to know- then make a decision based on that. Everyone has certain preferences that are more important than others like speed, strength, ease of operation, cost, size, parts availablity and so on. If you're anything like me then you want all the above - all in one! lol... but thats just not the way it works[&o] I will say that if you just pick the one you like the looks of (excluding warhead) you will probably be happy with it because there are sooooo many good trucks out there. So consider some of the things I listed above, ask some more specific Q's and you should get MUCH better advice
Old 07-08-2006, 04:00 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me toughness is priority#1 - therefore I'm a Savage fan. My Savage 25 just continues to amaze me.. Nearly 3 gallons, and besides a OWB(probably my fault I heard, from running too rich..), NOTHING has busted. The thing just keeps running, and running, and running...

I'd like to try the MTA4 S28(=MGT 4.6) for something new though. I've heard enough positive things about it that I don't have any doubts about getting one.

The Revo on the other hand - well, sounds like you need upgrades right away, and given what these things cost, I personally find that a turn-off.. If you want to race maybe, or if your LHS has tons of Revo stuff(nothing here in Germany anyway..) Part of that I suppose I have to admit is a pro-Savage anti-Revo prejudice kind of thing, and I'm sure Revos can be good too - but if you want something that'll stay in one piece, then Savage all the way... MGT's are supposedly almost as tough - but they get extra points in my book cuz they're bigger, easier to work on, and cheaper. Still, a small notch under the Savage for me.... Toughness and reliability go a long way..
Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 PM
motocrosser74

ok you guys got me stuck between the savage and the mgt. this is my first truck so i want a truck that not much stuff will break on. and what is faster the savage x or the mgt.. it think that which ever one is faster ill get.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM
duckedup

they both do about the same, 37 I think.... the Savage will break less parts. Is reverse important to you? It's not to me and I took it out but the MGT comes with it and I'm pretty sure you have to purchase it separately for the savage
Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
motocrosser74

ok i think ill get the mgt then becouse its cheaper. and what type of pipe should i get if i want to upgrade it. or what should i upgrade first.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:39 PM
duckedup

1st thing I would upgrade would be a 5 cell hump pack for the receiver, the 4 AA's just don't have the power you need for good steering. Then go over to the MGT forum website and check out the "MGT pro tips" section, theres alot of cheap and easy mods you can do to improve the truck in little time.
Heres the pipe that alot of guys recommend; [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XTM-MAMMOTH-ST-Pipe-Tuned-Header-24-7-Engine-XM30_W0QQitemZ120002179742QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44028 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Click here (XTM pipe)[/link] .... another good choice is an OFNA Jammin JP-2 or JP-3 but they are more expensive - $50+

Old 07-08-2006, 02:58 PM
duckedup

here's the exact same hump pack and seller that I got mine from; [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-1200mah-Hump-Receiver-Battery-Pack-with-Charger_W0QQitemZ130005311768QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34 063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]OFNA hump pack[/link] ... he also has a 1400 nimh for about $4 more
Old 07-08-2006, 03:32 PM
motocrosser74

ok thanks i just bought the pipe so im comitted to buy the truck now. ill order it tomrow. and what exactly is a hump pack and where does it go and what does it do?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:37 PM
motocrosser74

o and one of the main things i want my truck to do is pull wheelies when i want to.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:19 PM
duckedup

You can get a hump pack instead of using the 4 AA battery holder that comes with the truck, that will give you 6 volts of power for your electronics. Alkaline power just doesn't cut it and the rechargable hump pack will save you $ in the long run also.

You won't be able to pull wheelies with the stock blue suspention springs (once in a blue moon maybe), you'll need to get the red ones all the way around (about $10 give or take) the truck will handle a ton better also, it's a little roll over prone and bottoms out easily with the stock setup ...... also, the forward only conversion makes a big difference, it will make the truck quicker and faster and wheely better - mine wheelies on command w/the stock motor.... $15 (give or take) for that kit
Old 07-08-2006, 05:28 PM
motocrosser74

ok thanks. last question and sorry for all those questions. how long do the batterys last 5cell reciever batterys. should i get two?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:41 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: duckedup

You can get a hump pack instead of using the 4 AA battery holder that comes with the truck, that will give you 6 volts of power for your electronics.
4 AA batteries are 6V...
4AA @ 1.5v = 6v
5 cell rechargable @ 1.2V = 6V

A hump pack is still a good idea, being that AA batteries are stupidly expensive and the pack will last longer.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

ORIGINAL: duckedup

You can get a hump pack instead of using the 4 AA battery holder that comes with the truck, that will give you 6 volts of power for your electronics.
4 AA batteries are 6V...
4AA @ 1.5v = 6v
5 cell rechargable @ 1.2V = 6V

A hump pack is still a good idea, being that AA batteries are stupidly expensive and the pack will last longer.
lol.... ok ok .... what I was trying to get at was Alkaline vs. nimh or nicad, AND, I used 2500nimh rechargable AA batteries at 1st which = 4.8 volts
Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: motocrosser74

ok thanks. last question and sorry for all those questions. how long do the batterys last 5cell reciever batterys. should i get two?
you shouldn't need to get 2, just charge the pack after each day of use (or before). I've never ran my pack out in a single day BUT I've never ran more than 7 or 8 tanks in a day either..... also, if you have or get a quick charger, it'll either come with or you can get an adapter to charge receiver packs -- I use the charger that I used to use for my electric STs, a Dynamite twin peak and it came with the adapter --- fully charged in 15 minutes!
Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A fully charged good hump pack is definitely a difference-maker. Get it.. Wakes the whole truck up..
Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 PM
motocrosser74

ok thanks weres a good place to pick everything up im thinking towerhobbies.com
Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 PM
3spdsavage

Between the two MGT or revo 3.3..i would choose the revo..cuz well its fun on the track and still bashable. you get alot more with the 3.3. Only thing with the revo is that its kinda weak stock. you will tend to break parts on a revo. i have a 3.3 it runs awesome just it breaks few parts here and there. IMO if i were you i would go with the savage x ss. the kits with the LCG chassis and the 4.6 motor. i think its a good match for the revo 3.3. and savages have the capabiliyt to be heavily modded to fit you driving style.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: motocrosser74

ok thanks weres a good place to pick everything up im thinking towerhobbies.com
tower is expensive, I would shop around if I were you. You can find a new MGT 4.6 on ebay for $380 or less .... tower is a great place for replacement parts but their RTR's are overpriced

ORIGINAL: 3spdsavage

..... IMO if i were you i would go with the savage x ss. the kits with the LCG chassis and the 4.6 motor. i think its a good match for the revo 3.3. and savages have the capabiliyt to be heavily modded to fit you driving style.
the savage x ss isn't even out yet and it's going to be spendy when it does hit the market
Old 07-08-2006, 10:08 PM
motocrosser74

yes tower does seem more expensive but they have a coupon code that you put in and all orders over $225 save $30. so its accually more like $385. I think ill get it from there but if you have any websites that you like just put the link down it will save me alot of surfing on the web. Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Bria1

If you get the MGT, swap the brake spring for a piece of fuel tubing before ever driving it. The spring doesn't allow enough pressure on the brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.