Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Am I correct here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
jonnymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I correct here?

I've been reading through the forums a little bit and had decided on a savage 4.6 SS. On reading further I hear some quite good things about the Associated MGT. It is as tough as the savage? It has reverse?, It has the 4.6 engine?, Its cheaper?
Can someone tell me if there is a catch here? I know spares are less available localy for me but I buy most online anyway. Are strengthening hop-ups available? Is there older versions with smaller engines and without reverse?
Is this the one i've been searching for all my life?....lol
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Pyrotechnic

Default RE: Am I correct here?

i havent had experiance with a savage but i do have a monster gt 4.6 and its great. very strong and pretty fast. its very easy to work on and the engine is very reliable. there are tons of hop ups avalible for the mgt. i built a jump last week and i was jumping about 8ft high and 25ft long and didnt break anything even after landing on 1 wheel 4 times in a row from 8ft high. IMO its a very good truck that you cant go wrong with. and it does have reverse.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
redfox03

yeh, i also own the mgt 4.6. very nice truck, i picked it over the savage x only cuz of the dual start. both trucks are very good, and there are more good things heard about them than bad. only difference i can see between the savvy and the mgt is that the mgt is easier to get race ready than a savage. my mgt has held up pretty well, even going full speed into a tree, i hit the left front a-arm and it just bounce back. you know how those trees just pop outta nowhere.... stupid trees.

edit
i have seen a savage 25 run though, and it is a beast. my gf's neighbor has it, he put a picco 27 with a 3 speed in and it was just insane. it was keeping up with my mt 2, if he would glued the tires on his rims he could've really got more performance out of it. either way, can't go wrong with the mgt or savvy. oh and like ducked said below, the mgt is easy to work on too, and has plenty of hop ups available.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 PM
duckedup

the MGT is not as tough as the Savage out of the box but it is tough, all the other answers would be yes and there's lots of aftermarket for both. I've never owned a Savage but from what I've read, the MGT will give you less trouble and requires less tinkering. I've had my MGT 4.6 for 6 months and never had a major problem, I also bash pretty hard. Yes, parts have broken but that's going to happen with whatever truck you get - A-arms, turn buckles, bumper inserts, just stuff like that, nothing major so far and it's a breeze to work on.... I'm happy with it.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:03 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on what I've heard and seen , I'd get the new MGT 4.6(or MTA4 S28 in Europe..) over a Savage X, but a Savage 25 over either..

Why?? Well, I love my Savage 25 and frankly don't believe in even the possibility of a tougher truck, have heard lots of good things about the MGT, and lots of good things plus a few well not-so-good things but lately more good than not-so-good tihngs about the X...

That is just my opinion.

And it does of course depend on what you want to do and what your priorities are, etc..(for ex., do you want to race, do you like working on it, what are the tuning options??, etc.. - for me I want a stock truck that'll stay in one piece over anything else..)
Old 07-22-2006, 05:04 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

sav and mgt are both great trcks u wont be disappointed with either one...mgt is just more easy to work on .and it has the same aftermarket support like any other truck out there..
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
jonnymac

Cheers guys, at least it gives me a pleasant dilema. I've got a little saving to do before I buy but at least I have the info. It might be the MGT just because I could get it earlier