Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

? about "Blue" locktite

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 02:35 AM
NDeedOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about "Blue" locktite

What strength is the Blue locktite? Stronger than the green, or not as strong as the green?

Thanks again, later
Old 01-02-2003, 03:55 AM
3maxxman
My Feedback: (2)

Stronger than Green, not as strong as Red.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:22 AM
NDeedOne

Thanks 3maxxman,
I was just wondering. I guess that I will be using Blue (on all metal to metal connections) since everybody recommends it.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:36 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Blue Loctite

Blue is commonly called "hand tighten" because it holds but can be broken with the human hand.
Other forms of loc tite bond so well that you will have to put them into an oven to get them to let loose.

Dbow
Old 01-03-2003, 04:28 PM
RS4_3_ss

I use the red on all my rc cars and it is the only thing that has actually held up. The blue is good if you only want it on there for a short amount of time. So I would recomend the red!
Old 01-03-2003, 04:39 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default lock tite

a quick search found more info that I can post here

Threadlocker 222MS - Low Strength meets MIL SPEC
Threadlocker 242 - Removable Grade
Threadlocker 262 - Permanent Strength (up to 3/4")
Threadlocker 290 - High Strength, Wicking Grade
Primer N 7649
Old 01-08-2003, 06:40 AM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ? about "Blue" locktite

Originally posted by NDeedOne

What strength is the Blue locktite? Stronger than the green, or not as strong as the green?

Thanks again, later

Hopefully it's not to late here. Yes, blue loctite is removable ....but, it is not removable when used on the small screws that we use on our RC's. If you want confirmation on this, check out their website.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:37 AM
NDeedOne

Thanks, godlyone

and no, its not too late.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:11 AM
}{unter

Blue loctite is removable But i wouldnt recomend useing red lol you really whould have to put your car in the oven to get it just to losen.

Blue is good i dont get where he says they arnt removable

}{unter
Old 01-12-2003, 02:32 AM
dbow

Default Blue

Originally posted by godlyone
Hopefully it's not to late here. Yes, blue loctite is removable ....but, it is not removable when used on the small screws that we use on our RC's. If you want confirmation on this, check out their website.

This kind of thing strikes a nerve with me on many forums.

If you dont know what you are talking about, then dont post on the forum.
If you are unsure ask someone before you post.

Thanks

Dbow
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 AM
godlyone

Anyone fluent in the uses of Loctite knows that blue loctite (Removable 242 formula) can permanantly lock a ¼" thread. Any screws smaller such as the tiny M3's that we use in our RC's don't have much of a chance. I have warned against this in other forums as well as to the kids at our local track.

I can't tell you how many people I have seen apply blue Loctite simply because it says "removable" on the front of the bottle. Applying this formula to aluminum chassis supports and bulkheads will absolutely ruin them. Sure you may eventually get a few of them out but the ones you don't are nothing but grief.

For anyone visiting this forum post in the future, here are some tips if you find yourself in this situation. If you are patient and you have a good drill or drill press and some good drill bits, you may drill them out and re-tap the holes (I recommend this as a last resort!). The first thing I would try is to heat the screws in the upwards range of 300° and up by means of a heat gun or Heavy Duty soldering iron. Either way, it's not an easy task and should be done with extreme caution as well as by an adult.

Some people laugh at the idea of using teflon tape on these little screws. Personally, I have never had to remove "crusty" old loctite from any of my threads and my screws don't freeze, strip out or fall out due to the use of teflon tape. It's cheaper than Loctite. It's certainly cleaner than Loctite and like I mentioned, there is no crusty mess when removing the screws which many of us do quite often. Hope this helps All!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:30 PM
}{unter

well if its not removable then there goes my aluminum shock towers and bulk heads

}{unter
Old 01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
dbow

LOL whatever, it will come loose with no problem.

I have been using blue loctite on these little screws we use in R/C for many years. Never once have I seen a screw not come out.

Experience prevails every time....

Work smarter not harder

Dbow
Old 01-12-2003, 08:25 PM
}{unter

i hope you are right

}{unter
Old 01-12-2003, 09:21 PM
dbow

Default Test

Hunter,

Test it out and let us know what you find.

I just removed 4 screws that had blue loc-tite on them for a few days, they came right out. This is no mystery to me, why is is to some is weird.
Maybe someone just trying to get a rise out of us.

Dbow
Old 01-15-2003, 01:10 PM
theramman

I think you're right, I've been using blue for about 15+ years now and have never had a problem, either getting the screw out or a screw coming loose. Now, I have acquired some vehicles with red used on a couple parts and it's heat or bust to get them out!!!!! DON'T USE RED............
Old 01-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Savage Nation

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbow
LOL whatever, it will come loose with no problem.

I have been using blue loctite on these little screws we use in R/C for many years. Never once have I seen a screw not come out.

Experience prevails every time....

Work smarter not harder

Dbow
[/QUDITTO........ OTE]
Old 01-24-2003, 06:15 AM
godlyone

You are all full of yourselves! How can a forum like this continue to allow jokers like you kids to continue to post mis-informative information? Mis-informative information which shall cause some poor kid grief by damaging his RC. Do you feel pretty good about yourself because you have lucked out in the past while using Removable Loctite? Can none of you read? Like I have mentioned before, anything under ¼" can be permenantly Loctited with blue Loctite. Period. Look at the back of your bottle! Yes kids it's true. You can even look at the back of the bottle and it will tell you the same.

...hmmm, what's this?

The biggest reason many people grab for the Loctite for use in their RC is because their threads are worn down from either excessive use or over-tightening (which BTW is the biggest reason). Loctite 242 needs approximately 50 microns of airspace within the threads to work as it is intended to. For people not so savy, thats about the equivelent of .002" of an inch. This is much more gap than you will find in any of your new RC vehicles thus, you apply 242 into your much tighter threads and wallah! You now have a permenantly locked screw. So for anyone following this thread, if you get anything from it, remember this, when you pick up that $50-$75 dollar set of aluminum bulkheads and them $50-$100 aluminum or titanium skid plates and grab for the 242 blue Loctite, don't say I didn't warn you when it comes time to remove them screws!

Now if you have rattling screws that don't seem to want to stay put like apparently some people here have then by all means try the 242. It will probably work fine. But for all the kids that are just getting into RC or just got one for Christmas, take it from a machinist of 15 years with over 10 years of metrology background, I wouldn't steer you wrong!

...BTW, for all of you who still childishly disagree and feel as though you are right when we know better, here's a link for YOU

More on Loctite for the less knowledgable

Have fun ALL! RC anything ROCKS!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Savage Nation

I have a BRAND NEW bottle of 242, NO WHERE does it list the info that you have on your label.

Your packaging looks dated.....How old is it?

Personally, I have broken loose dozens of machine screws (3mm) that have had blue Loctite used, and a few with RED....

To each his own....

My Nutz will never come loose
Old 01-24-2003, 06:53 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Hmmmm.....We have two points of view here.

Maybe we should do a Poll and see what the users think about using....or not using blue loctite on their rigs?

After all....when many people get polled to see if it's a good or bad idea....and the people "HAVE EXPERIENCE USING LOCTITE".....then it should be evident if it is in fact.....a good...or a bad idea.

What do you all think? Should we start a Poll?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:12 AM
godlyone

Old 01-24-2003, 12:51 PM
theramman

Default Experience

So, does experience or a product datasheet prevail? I'm sure that 99% of "EXPERIENCED" R/Cers use "Blue" 242 Loctite on their R/Cs. So, godlyone, what would recommend to lock threads? Maybe CA? Try it, you'll break off a 3mm fastener quicker than you can say $&%^. Not to quote an ol' cliche' but "you can't believe everything you read". You have 15 years in machining and metalworking, but can you deny that a majority of us have used 242 on our R/Cs for the same or longer amount of time with no ill effects? I can.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:17 PM
godlyone

....hmmm, another mis-informed RC'er.

Try going back a couple posts and re-reading the FACTS as to why people use 242 and what it is made for.

What would I reccomend to lock threads with? Why you would say something so ignorant as CA is just embarrassment on your behalf. Our little RC related hardware falls into a category ideally intended for use with 222. There is simply no math here to do. It just amazes me how people can get so misled over thinking something is OK when it really isn't.

Continue to make your posts whining about how long you have been using it with no problem. The facts have been posted a few threads back that not only come from experince but come from the company who manufactures it. Are you stuck on the 50 microns of gap required for 242 to work properly? What part of 242 locking a gap which is smaller than 50 microns do you not understand? Do you really think it is "grown-up" of you to say that it's OK for our kids to go out and ruin their new RC trucks because of your ignorance and misconceptions? Their trucks DO NOT have the worn out thread gaps that you guys are clearly used to.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:38 PM
theramman

Default Assumptions

Why all the assumptions floating around? You assume people asking questions are "kids". You keep saying that..... Why are we assuming?????? This thread has become quite childish and un-important. Worn threads are not the issue here. It is a known FACT that nitro vehicles are subject to vibration from the motor, and thusly any non isolated fastener is subject to those vibrations. Screws with short thread count will definitely come loose, you WILL need to locktite them. My OPINION is that "blue" loctite works just fine and it is readily available from auto parts and hardware stores, so please keep in mind these are opinions not personal attacks, so please orient your responses to the like. I have said my peace and will not comment on the subject any further.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:34 PM
godlyone

Let it flow man! The truth will set you free. Or the Whaaaambulance will come. One or the other.

Don't feel bad because you don't know. Feel good because light has been shed on your misconceptions that you did not know existed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.