Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

** Newbie Question ** help on what to get...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

** Newbie Question ** help on what to get...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM
kantotboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Newbie Question ** help on what to get...

Hello...

I am a newbie to all this stuff and I have been lookin at gettin a nitro truck. I am lookin for a truck that I can take a beating, easy for a newbie to manage and not wanting to spend to much money on one.

Went to a local hobby shop and found a T-Maxx and Savage. $30 difference to get into the T-Maxx.

I am wondering if anyone can help me out as to which one to get or is there something better out there for me?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ** Newbie Question ** help on what to get...

If you're on a budget, and want something for bashing around and that can take a beating, get an older version Savage 25 or Associated Monster GT 4.6.. If you can squeeze out a bit more dough, get a Savage X SS + radio/servos..
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Uglysteve

If I were you, and I had to choose between the T-maxx and Savage, i'd pick the savage. It is a tough truck. You really can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
89ram

that's quite a can of worms you're opening here! i'd suggest a 3.3 revo. but i'm sure you'll get lots more info from others here.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
kantotboy

Cool... thanks for the replies!

kinda looking like it might be the Savage...

Any thoughts on the Aftershock?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
HerrSavage

All anybody ever seems to say about the Aftershock is that you might as well get an LST2, cuz that's just what it's a (very) poor man's version of, apparently.. I personally would never buy one - because I've heard too many people say it's basically just a way for Losi to get rid of parts from the old LST1 - a notoriously brittle truck..
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

All anybody ever seems to say about the Aftershock is that you might as well get an LST2, cuz that's just what it's a (very) poor man's version of, apparently.. I personally would never buy one - because I've heard too many people say it's basically just a way for Losi to get rid of parts from the old LST1 - a notoriously brittle truck..
[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/lst/bloopers.wmv]Here what I did with my 'notoriously brittle truck' the first two weeks I had it....(LST1)[/link]

The Aftershock is easily upgradable to LST2 a-arms and CVD's/axles later and I would take a serious look at it at your price point. I would not buy a Tmaxx.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
HerrSavage

OK, I admit, that's not bad. But all I ever seem to see of LST1's is what you can see on the second vid here:

http://www.slapmafro.com/

Number "11"

Good vid BTW..
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
2DMaxLST!!

A slapmofro basher I'm not, and neither is 95% of the rest of the bashers out there, but few will admit it. I will hazard a guess that they break a lot of R/C's in their videos.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
HerrSavage

I don't claim to be either(but I aspire to it........) But that jump wasn't THAT huge..
Old 10-16-2006, 03:45 PM
kantotboy

crazy video!
man... I wanna get one soon! Looks like sooo much fun!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 AM
kantotboy

Ok... so i went looking around last night and found a really cheap SAVAGE but with a Kawasaki ATV body. The Dude at the hobby shop said its the exact same thing as a Savage 25. Just need to get a different body on it and it would be good to go.

I am wantin to get this today!! Should I do it?
Since this forum has been really helpful and people are really friendly on here I thought I would post this so that I can get some feed back...

Thanks for all the help and I am lookin forward to hearin what your thoughts are.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM
RCtruckRacer

Way to use emperical evidence to prove your point. NOT!

HEARSAY: rumor: gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
heard through another rather than directly; "hearsay information"

Whenever I see anyone make a 'this vehicle is crap' post, and its obvious they have little or no experience, I wonder why I still bother to try and help people on these boards. All of these trucks will break, and all of them have weak and strong points. Those who prefer to badmouth any particular truck/brand are no help to anyone, and their advice should be avoided like the plauge.

The Savage is a fine truck, and you will have tons of fun with it. Whatever weak points you may find in it will be far outweighed by the fun you have. And they can easily be fixed, with the help of those over on the Savage board if needed. Same goes for the Aftershock. Get the one you feel has the best cost to value ratio. Remember these things have ridiculous 'scale' speeds and they can and will break. A 1:1 version of an 1/8th scale MT would do well over 300 MPH. How often do you think one of those would break? With that comparison, ALL of these trucks are extremely tough. How often you break will depend on whether or not you hit a tree (or curb, big rock... etc), or land that big air jump wrong. If you never hit anything, and always land your jumps perfectly, then probably nothing will break.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

Way to use emperical evidence to prove your point. NOT!

HEARSAY: rumor: gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
heard through another rather than directly; "hearsay information"

Whenever I see anyone make a 'this vehicle is crap' post, and its obvious they have little or no experience, I wonder why I still bother to try and help people on these boards. All of these trucks will break, and all of them have weak and strong points. Those who prefer to badmouth any particular truck/brand are no help to anyone, and their advice should be avoided like the plauge.

The Savage is a fine truck, and you will have tons of fun with it. Whatever weak points you may find in it will be far outweighed by the fun you have. And they can easily be fixed, with the help of those over on the Savage board if needed. Same goes for the Aftershock. Get the one you feel has the best cost to value ratio. Remember these things have ridiculous 'scale' speeds and they can and will break. A 1:1 version of an 1/8th scale MT would do well over 300 MPH. How often do you think one of those would break? With that comparison, ALL of these trucks are extremely tough. How often you break will depend on whether or not you hit a tree (or curb, big rock... etc), or land that big air jump wrong. If you never hit anything, and always land your jumps perfectly, then probably nothing will break.

Sorry, but that's just not quite accurate. I SAID it was based on what I've heard(and THAT mostly in Losi forums..) On the flip-side of what you're saying, anybody can read my post and see for themself that it's just hearsay - what I have heard said. Maybe I AM wrong.. I didn't say though "Aftershocks suck!". I said "I've heard" they're this and that..(didn't think I was overly negative about it - as in "it's a total POS.."..) But whenever anybody attacks me in this way on this point, I just bring up the Warhead. Based on what - yes - I've heard on forums, I would never buy one.. Simple as that. And on the flip-side of THAT, I did a lot of research before ever taking the (for me) huge financial plunge of getting my first RC - a Savage 25. And I have been VERY VERY happy with that decision - a decision based largley on what I read on forums. That is, after all, precisely what forums are for - to serve as a FORUM where people can exchange opinions, experiences, insights, etc.., or - in the case of my previous post - what I happen to have heard about a particular truck.. Take it for what it's worth. There are plenty of people around saying Savages are tough, but they don't have one.. It's really more up to the individual who comes along and reads a particular post to decide what's credible and what isn't. A year ago I came across plenty of posts along the lines of "Savages ROCK, bud!!" - but I didn't base my decision only on those posts..(not entirely..)

Anyway, not trying to start an argument or anything - just explain why I don't think I deserve THAT much criticism for what I said. If Aftershocks are that awesome, then Aftershock owners should be here saying so.

Now, moving on, kantotboy, yes, the ATV Savage is exactly the same as the 25 RTR(I never owned one though - I just read it on the HPI website..) If your feeling is to get it, just get it.. If you're not sure, wait and hear what more people have to say..

'Course, then you'd be basing your decision just on hearsay.....
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
jombo

ok guys, hear say said this and that ,whatever, this is the facts about the aftershock. its based on the lst1 yes, but there is a kit to upgrade to the lst2(130.00). now that being said this kit in my eyes is a racers dream truck. forward only, no reverse or high low, plastic for everything, lighter the better. also all the parts taken off can be sold on ebay and then you can upgrade to lst2 parts. the only downfall is that the radio is am, but you can sell it on ebay and it will cut the cost of a new radio system. this is why i call the aftershock the racers dream truck, it has everything a racer wants less the radio, but most racers have a good fm or ppm radio system anyway.
just my $.02
Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
RCtruckRacer

It's really more up to the individual who comes along and reads a particular post to decide what's credible and what isn't.
And apparantly up to you to make sure everyone knows what you hate. Hate based on what someone else said. On a forum that makes up about 5% of the actual users of said truck/car.

Sounds reasonable to me!