Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New T-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Mudman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T-Maxx

I just got my new T-Maxx but I haven`t even started it yet it`s been to cold. I was wondering what are the first add ons you would suggest. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:00 PM
daaaaaan

Default New T-Maxx

Hey, I just got mine to...I'm on my 4th tank of the break in process....it's 22 degrees here, but traxxas said just run it a little rich, and the cold will do nothing to it.....and don't you dare say it's to cold for you to go outside But, I have yet to do any mods to mine, the first upgrade I am going to buy is probably a roll bar. I don't really feel like taking the time to make it, so I'll just get one off of e bay. But the very first upgrade I would say get rid of those plastic skid plates, and replace them with Aluminum. (I got a set for free, by my dad making a copy of them at his work) And also get a skid plate for the tranny.

After that, wait til' something breaks, and then you'll have money to repair it....
Old 01-18-2003, 10:27 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default New T-Maxx

Some guys have recommended putting on a different cooling head. I read about one that another person highly recommended to TMaxx owners. It's called the mini fridge. Just scroll down to TMaxx 2.5. Here's a link to the head:

http://www.msjproducts.com/pages/565163/index.htm
Old 01-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Alteramod

Default New T-Maxx

lol. It was -10 here the other day and i was ganna try to start it but then i decided that i couldnt feel my fingers as soon as i went out side that it wouldnt start for me. Then i got it to run the next day under 16 outside for about 5seconds, As soon as i seen it start i seen the huge gap in the fuel line where there was air and it stalled. Then it wouldnt start. Then fuel (gallon bottle half empty) was about 5-10 years old and no good so i went and got some more, ill try to start it again today.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 PM
blangle

Default Tmaxx Mod's

I have a gallon through my 2.5, but more importantly I have two crazy neighbors with multiple tanks through multiple cars. There's treads (probably buried by now) in here that can speak in more detail, but.....here's some quick answers based on this tread:

-The cooling head works but is not recommended for cold weather, premis is you could lean it out (damage it) below the 270 mark.

- I have a role cage and again works fine, but the sr. guys says it adds too much weight and a hard body will protect as well. I'm going to keep it on until I master jumping and/or begin serious racing.

- It seems the first thing to go is starter ignitor and the stock shocks. I'm keeping the start till it dies, but I have the aluminum shocks, the big bore's. They're the simple upgrade from the stock plastic.

My suggestion:
Decide on a game plan for what you want to do, like race, jump, cruise, display(ha...but some people do), etc. then be selective on the upgrades that match your plan. Unless of course you don't care about the money spent on them....It adds up quick!

Also, do research on what upgrade you decide on, there's ton's of opinions on which/how to do it and this forum is a great place to do just that!
Old 01-21-2003, 01:16 AM
SINNER

Default New T-Maxx

The first thing that went in mine was the spur gear. I got a metal replacent. The first thing I wanted were new tires. The stock paddles cause some handling problems for me. 3maxxman suggested the proline maxx mashers, but I think and more reasonably treaded tires would be an improvement over stock if you're trying to turn without flipping.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Mudman

Default New T-Maxx

Still have not started my truck the low tonight is going to be -15 and it`s not suppose to get above 0 until next week.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 AM
forcelite
My Feedback: (1)

Default New T-Maxx

I will try with all my heart not to live somewhere that gets that cold. I dont want a place that regularly gets below 50
Old 01-21-2003, 01:33 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Default New T-Maxx

I got a Tmaxx about a month ago. I have lots of experience with nitro airplanes but this is my first r/c surface vehicle.

My first add on was a temperature gun

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUX04&P=7

Its really the only way to tune your engine without a dyno. You can tell if your tom lean or to rich by the temperature. Traxxas says never go above 270 on a hot day. Its cold now so I have been staying around 240. Thast after full breakin of course.

Airplane engines are much easier to tune because you can run them at full power while holding and tuning them in your hand.

The next upgrade I am going to do is thick grease in the rear differential. You will notice when you go around tight turns, if a wheel or 2 lift off the ground the truck will slow down and the engine will speed up. Thick diff grease will stop that.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZT4&P=0

Joe Brannon
Old 01-21-2003, 05:55 PM
daaaaaan

Default New T-Maxx

So far with my t maxx, I have bought a tranny skid plate (a full one, not just a plate that covers the tranny, but one that connects to the front and back so no stick or anything go up and get stuck in the drive train), I have got my stock plastic skid plates (F&R) made out of aluminum, and I got an on board temp guage for it. I would really suggest a temp guage becausey ou can tune it so much better, and quicker with one. I have never thought of that rear dif grease, but it sounds like a good idea. that may be next, and maybe a roll cage? I am not sure.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Mudman

Default New T-Maxx

Do you guys use the stock radio with your trucks or do you upgrade to a Futaba or JR 3 channel?
Old 01-22-2003, 12:08 AM
crash_me_over

Default New T-Maxx

I'm using the stock radios with all of my rigs. Since I have blown so much money on the rigs....I can't afford to upgrade the radios....yet.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:24 AM
SINNER

Default New T-Maxx

Originally posted by crash_me_over
I'm using the stock radios with all of my rigs. Since I have blown so much money on the rigs....I can't afford to upgrade the radios....yet.
Yeah, me too. They always go where I point em. Sometimes thats the problem . Most people say a higher torque servo is a great upgrade. Haven't tried it myself cause they cost about 100. bucks and if it worked I'd want one for the rest of my trucks.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:11 AM
Alteramod

Default New T-Maxx

I supose you could start you rig when is below 0, just heat your engine with a hair dryer that what i did and it worked.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:18 AM
crash_me_over

Default New T-Maxx

Unless a person has "unlimited funds"....it will take most of us awhile to accumulate our rigs....upgraded radios....upgraded servos....upgraded parts for the rigs....and so forth and so on. It's like a bottomless pit! As much money as you want to put into this hobby......it'll take all and then some!

I'll just keep plugging along at my snails pace and being grateful that I even have these awesome rigs to enjoy.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Bandwidth

Default Rough Newbie / TMAXX

I recently bought a TXMAXX, Awsome Truck.

I tend to be a little rough and with bad depth perception and letting someone else drive my truck..... The second day in one crash I broke Upper A Arm, Lower A Arm, Right Bulk Head, and 1 shock cap......

After all that was fixed, the next weekend.... I broke the screw where you adjust the mixture (carb?)

And since I had no idea what I was doing.... I am REALLY worried that I messed up the engine from running it too hot?

I know have one of those temp guns and plan on switching to a different fuel, but as far as first upgrades....

- Bottom Skid Plates and Servo Cover are a must have (DAY1)
- Heavy Duty A Arms

HOWEVER.... I would have saved alot if I would have started out with a roll cage... hehehe

BUT what an awsome TRUCK....
Old 01-22-2003, 04:08 PM
crash_me_over

Default Re: Rough Newbie / TMAXX

Originally posted by Bandwidth
BUT what an awsome TRUCK....

Agreed! The TMaxx is really a winner in many respects.

Hopefully you did not damage your engine. If all of the parts have been repaired/replaced.....just be sure to set the carb needles rich....you should be fine.

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Mudman

Default New T-Maxx

I finally started my T-Maxx today outside temp. was about 10. I ran 3 tanks of fuel though it before I thought my fingers might fall off. This thing is a blast to drive even during the break in procedere. I don't think it's suppose to get above 0 this weekend so I will probably have to wait until next week to run it again.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:48 PM
crash_me_over

Default New T-Maxx

Mudman....Man o Man.....you've got nerve being out in those kinds of temps!

I'm glad you finally got to experience how it is with your new TMaxx. It does get better also....once the weather gets nicer....and you can enjoy being outside.....your going to have allot of fun with it.

Thanks for the feedback and keep us posted on how it's coming along!

Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:40 AM
JBrannon

Default New T-Maxx

Here is a great page courtesy of Traxxas on tuning your tmaxx.

http://www.t-maxx.com/support/pub/trx_sl_tuning25.htm

Joe Brannon
Old 01-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Mudman

Default New T-Maxx

Here is a picture of my new T-Maxx body. I had to get a Ford body so it would match my real pick-up of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50267_25214.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	29839  
Old 01-26-2003, 03:39 AM
delcampo

Default New T-Maxx

Very nice truck!
Old 01-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Bluehydro8

Default New T-Maxx

Nice truck and body Mudman, I especially like the body, I see your a ford man, Im a ford man too.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:10 PM
JBrannon

Default New T-Maxx

Here is a picture of my new Tmaxx. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I have about 3/4 of a gallon of fuel thru it.

I really have a good time with it, but it would be more fun running with other people.

I am a member at a model aircraft field and we have plenty of room. I am going to try and build a track there.

Joe Brannon

Name:	50468_6350.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	29840  
Old 01-26-2003, 09:13 PM
JBrannon

Default New T-Maxx

Here is another picture with the body off. I just got home from running it. Of course I will spend an hour making it spotless again.

Joe

Name:	50469_6350.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	29841  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.