Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT Tranny Gears stripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:42 AM
MTObsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT Tranny Gears stripping

I have a 2 week old MGT 4.6 SE and twice now have stripped the 1st and/or 2nd "driven" gears in the tranny.
I see that AE makes the p/n 25018, metal "drive" gear but I do not see anything but stock plastic for the 1st & 2nd gears.
Any ideas please?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Bria1

Default RE: MGT Tranny Gears stripping

The only thing available for the 1st and 2nd spur gears is plastic. Is it mainly the 2nd gear spur stripping like the picture below. I've only stripped the 2nd gear spur on mine, never 1st. I recently put the plastic 1st/2nd pinion drive gear in to see if that helps. The teeth don't look like they were cut correctly on my steel gear. From searching around, no one with the original MGT .21 had this problem with their trans. That steel 1st/2nd pinion is the main difference between the 2. If your stripping 1st also, you may need to loosen the slipper a little bit. Either way contact Team Associated about this. I've called them twice and left a post on their forum and each time my response is "We have never had anyone call about this before". Maybe if enough people call them about this crap they will do something about it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18903.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	558656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28792.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	558657  
Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
MTObsession

Thanks! I will definately call them tommorow morning. If this happens again I believe I will try the plastic gear you mentioned.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Bria1

Another thing, I found the T-maxx 2.5 2nd spur gear will fit the MGT like it was made for it. I know it is made for a small block, but I've beat on my MGT pretty hard this weekend and it held up to having a LRP .28 spec 3 without any problems. The best part is it is only about $4 for the gear. The 1st spur gear for the T-maxx is the same number of teeth as the MGT also, but I haven't tried it to see if it will work because I've never had a problem with 1st on mine.