Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Rear steering rate

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 PM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear steering rate

Am I wrong or the rear steering system has a shorter (than the front one) rate, as apparently seen in some real monster trucks videos?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear steering rate

I would say yes, although I don't have much specific technical knowledge on the subject.

All vehicles with 4-wheel steering that I've seen (monster trucks included) seem to have a much smaller amount of steering throw in the rear wheels than in the front. The reason for this is that steering action by the rear wheels has a much greater effect on the vehicle, particularly at speed. Just guessing I'd say rear steering action would be anywhere from 25% to 50% of front steering action.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
JFACKY

What Taffey said is basically correct. the only time I have seen a rear steer set up that had as much throw as the front is a purpose built rock crawler. They don't go fast, but do need to be able to move the rear of the vehicle at extreme angles to clear obstacles.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point - I forgot about rock crawlers.

Hey, I just found this on Wikipedia. Interesting: [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering#Four-wheel_steering]Four-wheel steering[/link]
Old 11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: Taffey

Good point - I forgot about rock crawlers.

Hey, I just found this on Wikipedia. Interesting: [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering#Four-wheel_steering]Four-wheel steering[/link]
That's a good article, and thanks for the link. :-) I used the same rate on the front and rear steer on my project, mostly because the steering angle is limited, and the combination of the two allows for a tighter radius. In the beginning it was to be front steer only, but my design went haywire.