RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Duratrax Warhead EVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
jimbo_98
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax Warhead EVO

Wanting to see your opinions on it, it sounds like a great truck with reverse and all that great stuff I want to get it for christmas

Thanks James
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax Warhead EVO

Read the wardhead thread first. For the money I would buy a MGT, savage x, revo, tnx, first though all are tried and proven, and will cost you the same. Please look at the warhead thread first.

good luck
Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
DaveG55

My opinion is - DON'T.

Revo, T-Maxx, Savage, MGT, LST2, Aftershock, pretty much anything else.

As Silverman1 said, read the "Anyone own a Warhead" thread. The EVO is not much, if any better.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Flyer2k5

The majority of post in the "Anyone own a Warhead" thread, as I can tell, are from the first version not the EVO. I have tried to ask the same questions as you, but I get the same warhead stories nothing about the EVO because I think it is kind of new. To be honest, I don't think half the people who commented in the " Anyone own a warhead" thread even has a Warhead. I ordered a Warhead EVO today from Tower hobbies they have a good deal. I will let you know how it turns out on Tuesday when I get it. It had good reviews and a great article in the RC Driver magazine its on the front page of the January issue.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Chronic

Have you ever seen ANY RC get a bad review in the magazines? The RC could blow up, permanently disfiguring the tester, and they would still give it a "8" for durability and ease of maintenance...

Lots and lots of problems with the first release, let's hope the EVO is better...
Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
DaveG55

RC mags never say anything bad about the RC's they review. Why would they want to piss of their advertisers?
That said, no I don't own a Warhead. I would have if Duratrax had gotten their act togeather and shipped it when they said they would. Instead it got pushed back for like 10 months. When asked, a Duratrax engineer said the problem was with a "new" manufacturing process. I canceled my order and am glad I did. My LHS, which sells a lot of Duratrax stuff, refuses to sell OR repair the Warhead and that extends to the EVO too. I also don't own a EVO, and won't. I've known the owner at this LHS for a couple years now and I trust him. He's always been helpful and truthful with me. I also have yet to see a single good post about the EVO on any board I watch - but have seen several bad ones.
So, I hope your new truck arrives and you have zero troubles. I don't expect that to be the case but truly hope I'm wrong.
Good Luck
In any case, remember, Tower has a good return policy.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
savage_2.5

Here's the low down on Warheads, i just bought a mgt 4.6 but i really wanted a warhead after reading about them and my own dealership telling me that 4 the same price as the warhead i could get a mgt and that the only reason why they had it in the store (warhead) was because duratrax was giving dealer's them for free cause no one would put them in there stores. Im not trying to bad mouth Warheads i dont know how the new ones are but the old ones had alot of problems.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
bbmods

ORIGINAL: jimbo_98

Wanting to see your opinions on it, it sounds like a great truck with reverse and all that great stuff I want to get it for christmas

Thanks James

Hey there jimbo_98
i owen two warheads and i love them. i have a all alum warhead which is a show truck. Then i have a one that i race which is only 8.5lb in weight. i race against all the truck on the market today. i spank them all weekend and week out. there are some small mods that you can make to the truck and make it much better. if you have any more ? about the truck just ask. ill tell you all my tricks. o yeah ill have pic of the race truck this week. i have to clean it up for this weekends race.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
DavidMartin

I just bought one and had the reverse go out but can't see why. There are no broken parts in the tranny. I like the truck and would love to know some of your mods to make it better. I got it now so got to make the best out of it. It seems like a very strong truck.

Thanks
David
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Flyer2k5

Savage

You should have asked the hobby shop to let you get the warhead Evo off their hands for half price. I bet he would have said no because 9 times out of 10 HE IS lying about getting them free!!!!!
Buy all 4 for about 150 each then sell them on ebay for $350 each!!!! If they are that worthless and he got them for free he shouldnt mind making 600 dollars for all 4!!!! In my opinion.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
bbmods

ORIGINAL: DavidMartin

I just bought one and had the reverse go out but can't see why. There are no broken parts in the tranny. I like the truck and would love to know some of your mods to make it better. I got it now so got to make the best out of it. It seems like a very strong truck.

Thanks
David

When i get my truck all cleaned up from racing this past weekend and ready for next week. ill get pic on the computer of the truck for everyone. i dont have reverse on my truck i locked it in foward only. so around thurday or friday ill have pic to help people. you will really like the truck. dont listen to all the people that talk bad about the truck beacause i know that they dont own one so they dont know what is going on. And ****ALL**** r/c cars and trcuks have there problems thats why they call it a hobby. You will have to work on them. i know people that have the other trucks and they are have problems too.; there isnt a perfect truck out there everthing has there issues.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:36 AM
Chronic

That's true, but some have more issues than others. Any of them can be turned into a killer truck that's capable of doing anything you want to do... if you throw enough time and money at it.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Misbehavin

ORIGINAL: Chronic

Have you ever seen ANY RC get a bad review in the magazines? The RC could blow up, permanently disfiguring the tester, and they would still give it a "8" for durability and ease of maintenance...

Lots and lots of problems with the first release, let's hope the EVO is better...
I think RCU gave it a fair assessment. Several items that caused concern were pointed out. Need examples?

The motor mount itself is cast aluminum, and while I agree cast aluminum is generally the best material for a motor mount, I think there may be too much of it here. Cast aluminum will generally not handle as much stress as machined aluminum, which does provide some measure of protection to the motor in the event of a top-down landing. It's better for the mount to break, than the motor block itself.

However, the motor mount for the Warhead also provides some support for the twin vertical plates of the truck itself. While it may not cause any issues, it would appear that there is the potential for some chassis stress here. This could manifest itself as a break in the part of the mount that stretches from one vertical plate to the other. I would have preferred to seen the main part of the mount machined, while the smaller mount sections that tie the motor to the main mount left as cast aluminum. Time will tell how well this part of Duratrax's design works out.
I spent a good portion of the afternoon bashing in the backyard with the Warhead, and having a ball. I only ran into one issue which was quickly resolved. This issue involved the small tank, and the fact it seemed to act up as the fuel level started to get low. I'm guessing it was related to a backpressure issue, and I simply removed it from the truck and just used the large tank.
I did have one driveline issue however, which involved a pin from the rear dog driveshaft sliding out. This ended my day, after a run up to the triples caused it. While in the air clearing the first two jumps, I grabbed some brake to bring the nose of the truck down slightly. When I did this, I heard a pop. After landing, and running down the straightaway, I noticed that most of the truck's power seemed to go only to the front wheels. Since I had spent the majority of the day at the track, I decided to go ahead and call it a day. Later, while examining the truck at the house, the cause of my woes earlier would be found in the form of the aforementioned pin. The pin on the other end of the driveshaft had a little play as well. I'm assuming this was just a fluke, as this is not a common occurrence in my experience.

The pop I had heard didn't involve the driveshaft pin, at least not directly. As the pin just slid out, it left the driveshaft undamaged. However while the driveshaft was spinning, with the pin loose and extended, the pin contacted the case of the throttle servo and shattered it. This was likely the pop I heard just before I noticed the power to the rear wheels was lost.
With the exception of what I mentioned, the truck held up fine for me during testing. Was I supposed to make up stuff if enough didn't break?

I do my best to tell what I experience, and what I think. Does that mean I'll come out and call a vehicle "utter crap". Not likely, as most vehicles out there still have their merits too. What makes a vehicle "crap"? Durability? That would be a closed minded stance, as many of your competitive racing platforms aren't the toughest vehicle available, as they sacrifice some durability for all-out performance.

So you have to point everything out as well as possible. In the overall scheme of things most vehicles are put together for their intended purpose very well overall. Especially considering what we expect out of these vehicles. However, remember that nothing is indestructible. I have yet to test a vehicle that would be given an "all negative review", but I have tested some that do need some improvement in certain areas. When I see that, it's mentioned. What's "crap", and what works well, is often different from person to person.

A good example of this would be the XTM X-Factor 2 I reviewed. It's not the toughest, or best, truck for jumping that you can find. However if you like the solid axle approach, and the clearance it offers, that might outweigh and disadvantages the truck has in other areas.

I do point out issues that I encounter, or areas that I don't care for. Read through some of my reviews, as you'll note that I discuss what I break, and whether or not I consider it a freak accident or an area that needs some improvement. A good example is the 20mm hex adapter used on the LST 2. I mentioned that I didn't see the point, as it severly hampered the wheel selection that was available because of the proprietary size that was used. I was offered many explanations as to why Losi felt their 20mm adapters were "better". However, I held my ground and you'll see I mentioned that in the article for it. IMO, the limited wheel selection you have just wasn't worth the route Losi took. Especially, when early on, their wheels were very hard to obtain.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Let us know how it goes, and be sure to visit the guys over at bayvale Park.....off-road track, oval track.....BIG open feild....
http://www.augustarcers.proboards81.com/index.cgi?

The web site ain't too active, but hey, it's just a bunch of local guys.....check 'em out. Bayvale Park is just off Milledgeville Rd @ the Bobby Jones over pass.
ORIGINAL: Flyer2k5

The majority of post in the "Anyone own a Warhead" thread, as I can tell, are from the first version not the EVO. I have tried to ask the same questions as you, but I get the same warhead stories nothing about the EVO because I think it is kind of new. To be honest, I don't think half the people who commented in the " Anyone own a warhead" thread even has a Warhead. I ordered a Warhead EVO today from Tower hobbies they have a good deal. I will let you know how it turns out on Tuesday when I get it. It had good reviews and a great article in the RC Driver magazine its on the front page of the January issue.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Chronic

Misbehavin I was referring to the printed rags. I often look at the RCU reviews and specifically the vids that go along with them. I like how you usually take each one and run it around the same racetrack too. I've often thought about suggesting that you also include a couple of timed test laps around the track, just for reference and to standardize the testing procedure somewhat. It would be nice to see how the same driver did on the same track with the various vehicles. But really, I do find those reviews on this site to be more informative than a lot of others I have read, and the vids are very nice. You at least seem to bash them all in the same spot and you run them around the same track for your testing, which gives us the reader a little bit of info we can actually use for comparison. I wasn't slinging rocks at you by any means.

Anyway, back to the mags... I do read most of the reviews in the printed mags when I get them, but they are really of little value other than getting a peek at the vehicle. They usually have a couple of good tid-bits of info in them too, but it's hardly an in-depth review and they always seem to be set up in a favorable manner for whatever vehicle they are testing. I just think it needs to be pointed out to people that most of the reviews they will encounter are intended to showcase the vehicle, not critique it.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Ken448

Well the LHS may have been "given" Warheads to stock, but nothing is free. Chances are Duratrax issued a few on a "net 30" basis. Meaning they are free until it sells, then payment is due. So no LHS will be giving them away for $150 LOL.

That said, Id STILL be VERY leary about getting the EVO until some real time reviews are out. Perhaps keep an eye on the forums and see what people are complaining about. BUT remember people yell the loudest when they are unhappy. How many threads do you see of people asking why their diffs work so well, and never need a re-build?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Misbehavin

Chronic, that's good to hear. Just wanted to make sure that the RCU reviews didn't get lumped into that category. I try to be fair, from both perspectives. In short, just the facts, LOL!

I've often thought about suggesting that you also include a couple of timed test laps around the track, just for reference and to standardize the testing procedure somewhat. It would be nice to see how the same driver did on the same track with the various vehicles.
I've thought about that myself, but at this time it hasn't really proved practical. The first reason is that sometimes I'm out there with only someone standing in as a cameraman. Even if there are other people there, there's usually not anyone available to man the scoring station or to even open it up.

Aside from that, when it comes to comparing times, the track will undergo some minor changes every few months and bigger changes in the off-season. So times may not compare well either. I belive the video helps in this regard though, as you can get a feel for how the vehicle handles the terrain or track. Print mags have the lack of video as a tool for showing the vehicle, although sometimes they do post them separately on their site. RCU throws them front and center in the review article. I even watch the video several times during the writing phase, as it helps me focus again on exactly wht the vehicle is doing out on the track.

I also like to think that the desktop wallpaper I'm starting to add to the reviews will be a welcome addition to those who take an interest. Nothing helps you save your cash for your next ride like a desktop background of your dream vehicle blastign through the dirt!

As far as the EVO goes, I was told that one should be headed my way. As of right now, it hasn't shown up for testing. Once it does, I'll start a thread for comments as I have started doing with the other recent vehicles I've been working with. I would like to get my hands on it and see exactly how it does now, and what all Duratrax has changed. I do think the long delay hurt them when it was first released. It's often a tricky line to walk when deciding whther to postpone a truck's release or take a chance with something not being up to the level they wanted.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:17 PM
NitroBurn1

I am in the market for an MT, and the Warhead EVO is one im considering. It looks like T-Maxx wheels might fit this truck, does anyone know if they will?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Misbehavin

The first version of the Warhead used a 14mm hex adapter, same as the Maxx line of trucks. I imagine that hasn't changed. If it hasn't, you can use Maxx wheels.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Flyer2k5

WOW!!!!!!

I got the Warhead EVO by UPS today and man it is awesome! So far I am 1 tank into the break in but it got dark and I did not want to alarm the neighbors. The engine started on or about the 3rd try. I am trying to follow the dvd for the engine break in but it seems to be getting a little hot. I turned it all the way clockwise (needle all the way inside its housing) then 4 1/2 full turns counter clock wise. Am I doing this right? THANKS OH yea my rev and forward is switched on the futaba remote is this a problem? To be honest this truck is way too fast for me right now but maybe after 5 tanks I will get ride of the jitters!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 AM
DavidMartin

Thanks

I don't mind tweaking small issues out and so far I do like it. Look forward to the Pics.

David Martin

ORIGINAL: bbmods

ORIGINAL: DavidMartin

Thanks
David

When i get my truck all cleaned up from racing this past weekend and ready for next week. ill get pic on the computer of the truck for everyone. i dont have reverse on my truck i locked it in foward only. so around thurday or friday ill have pic to help people. you will really like the truck. dont listen to all the people that talk bad about the truck beacause i know that they dont own one so they dont know what is going on. And ****ALL**** r/c cars and trcuks have there problems thats why they call it a hobby. You will have to work on them. i know people that have the other trucks and they are have problems too.; there isnt a perfect truck out there everthing has there issues.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Misbehavin

I turned it all the way clockwise (needle all the way inside its housing) then 4 1/2 full turns counter clock wise. Am I doing this right? THANKS OH yea my rev and forward is switched on the futaba remote is this a problem?
If that's the default setting, then yes. I cannot remember the default off the top of my head though.

Also keep in mind that it's possible you may have to richen further than the default settings. The settings are not "one size fits all", but merely a point that the engine should fire. Several factors could necessitate the need to richen the needles further, including weather conditions and elevation.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Flyer2k5

This is what I get for rushing!!!!!!!!! While trying to run my 2nd tank of nitro for break in before work this morning, I decided to make a hard left around the corner of my brick house. While turning at almost full speed I hit wheel first into the side of the house. The truck was still running and ready to go but I could not turn in reverse or forward. After shutting down, I notice I had broken the right bell crank Part 72 (dtxc8877) $3 and some change. I am surprised after hitting a brick house at just under full speed the damage was this minimal (hopefully after replacing it I wont find other damage). I will post pics when I get home.

What should I remove to replace the bell crank? Has anyone ever replaced one, if so how long did it take? THANKS
Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Rice_slayer

Ever?!?! LMAO!!!! That has been one of 2 things on my truck to break! All you do is take off that skid plate that covers i and you have acess to it!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Flyer2k5

While waiting for my parts I decided to crank the engine, I noticed it is still running hot after a few minutes. When I accelerate to full throttle it cuts off! Anyone know why this would happen? I have it about 7 turns from the dvd 4 1/2 first tank break in ( rich) and its still hot. My temp gage and bell crank will be here shortly. Thanks

Any engine suggestions on running hot is appreciated!!!!!! First tank of nitro.

Why does my engine stop when I have my filter on and when I take it off it starts and stay started? Is it possible my filter does not have enough oil? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.