Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Radio Glitches! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 PM
poohenry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Glitches! Need Help!

When I turn on my transmitter and then the receiver the wheels right away turn to the left. Then I can't turn them back with the radio. I've tried everything I've changed the batteries checked for damage etc. I'm confused and don't know what to do. I need help as quick as possible. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Sugafree

Default RE: Radio Glitches! Need Help!

What Radio is it?
And Did you Check the Steering Trim.......it could be set to All on the Right?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM
nkbrisson

what type of radio do you have, is it a crystal style, synthesized or DSM, if it is crystal make sure they are in place, the reciever x-tal in the car/truck and the transmitter one in the radio in your hand, if they are in correctly them replace them, if you have a synthesized type then make sure your on the same channel, if you have DSM make sure you marry the radio to the receiver via the manufactures instructions. If all that don't work, its time for a new radio and receiver.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM
poohenry

i tried to upload a picture of the radio. The truck is brand new and i am new to nitro rc cars. i checked the crystals they are all in place. i know it has to do something with the radio or the receiver. Because once i turn them both on it turns to the left and wont turn back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64450.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	591614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74934.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	591615  
Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
poohenry

here is a pic of the truck it is called a power racing valiant. I think if i get this radio problem fixed it would run awsome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51047.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	591635  
Old 01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Sugafree

I've never seen that Radio before.......But I'd Look for a Steering Trim Button on it and See if it's set to one side.......
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
poohenry

yeah i checked that and it was set perfectly since the last time i drove it which was only a day ago. then i went to go turn it on now it has problems im so confused[sm=drowning.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Sugafree

Are Your Batteries at Full Charge?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
poohenry

yep
Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
poohenry

im gonna try to go to my local hobby shop and see if they can figure out whats wrong.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 AM
DaveG55

Almost sounds like the steering servo is plugged into the throttle channel. You haven't changed any wiring around have you?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

wouldnt have gotten water into it would you?

last time that happened to me the servo would hard over and not come back.. was condensation in the reciever
Old 01-06-2007, 01:12 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

It could be anything from a bad TX or RX, bad wiring, bad crystals, bad wiring, battery problem or a bad servo

First
check all of the wires and crystals (im sure you probably already did)
then switch the steering and throttle servos plugs on the RX, and see if the instant turning to one side has transfered over to happenning to the throttle servo instead (if it does, then it is probably a bad TX or RX (possibly crystal but less likely)
if the glitching continues to only happen on the steerin servo after you switch the plugs then you probably have an issue with your steering servo

it could also possibly be the servo horn being improperly installed
remove the steering servo horn or servo saver, then turn on the radio, center the trim on your TX and reinstall the horn

If you still don't pinpoint it, the hobby shop might be the place to go to, as they will likely have known good servos, crystals, TX and RX to try so they can figure out what is bad.

All that being said, if the thing is brand new, go to to seller or manufacturer and get a warranty replacement if possible.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:19 AM
poohenry

thanks everyone im going to try all of your suggestions and see if i can find out what is wrong. if not im going to take it to a hobby shops.
Thanks Again!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
javaplus
My Feedback: (3)

It could be as simple as a stripped servo horn... I've had this happen before... You could have hit something that just stripped the servo horn and pushed it around... Now it's twisted over to turn the wheels' real hard to the left... If you take your servo horn off, and turn the wheel on the transmitter left and right does it look like it turns both ways???

Look at the servo horn and see if the teeth looked stripped.

With the radio on and the wheel in the middle put the servo horn back on.... with the wheels straight... see if you have steering again... If the horn is stripped, it may work normally for a while and then get knocked back again after a little use.

Let us know what you find...
Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Coder_TimT

I'd love to hear what you find out. I just received my Cross Tiger "Bonzer" truck today and to my dismay have the exact same problem out of the box. Steering shoots all the way to the left when powered on. I can almost correct it back to center if I max out the trim the opposite way. I was so looking forward to playing...I truly hate to have to immediately box it back up and send it back...

Good luck in finding a fix for your truck...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Coder_TimT

I'd love to hear what you find out. I just received my Cross Tiger "Bonzer" truck today and to my dismay have the exact same problem out of the box. Steering shoots all the way to the left when powered on. I can almost correct it back to center if I max out the trim the opposite way. I was so looking forward to playing...I truly hate to have to immediately box it back up and send it back...

Good luck in finding a fix for your truck...
There is an easy fix for your problem. Remove the servo horn and turn on the transmitter and reciever. Re-center the trim and re-attach the servo horn so that the wheels are facing forward....

No need to send it back for something so simple
Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Coder_TimT

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

There is an easy fix for your problem. Remove the servo horn and turn on the transmitter and reciever. Re-center the trim and re-attach the servo horn so that the wheels are facing forward....

WARNING...WARNING...Complete RC newb here. Thank you for the reply. I was going to ask about that...I didn't know what the range of motion on the servo was. In other words, once I recenter it, will it have enough travel to turn fully left? I will surely give it a go before paying to ship it back...now to figure out how to get the servo out...I assume you just remove the steering arms and it should lift out once unscrewed...

Sorry for the slight threadjack poohenry, it is on topic at least...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Coder_TimT

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

I assume you just remove the steering arms and it should lift out once unscrewed...

Sorry for the slight threadjack poohenry, it is on topic at least...
The steering arm is all you should have to remove, not the whole servo. As already stated, just pull that arm off, turn your radio on, center your trim and then reinstall the steering arm ligned up to have the wheels centered.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
poohenry

all i did to fix the problem was unplug the servo from the box and took off the steering arm centered it and now it drives straight but i have to have my steering trim set all the way to one side in order for it to run straight. I would really love to know if there is a way to fix that.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

repeat the process again .. make sure your trims are centered .... seems you may have had the trim all the way one or the other.. MAKE SURE ITS CENTERED take off the horn turn on the car and radio the servo will center.. reinstall the horn with the car on and radio on this will hold the servo at its center point while you get the horn and things on.. turn it all off and tighten the screw
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
poohenry

thats ok coder_timt i hope you fix the problem. all i did was take off the steering arm and recenter it and it runs straight now but i have to have the steering trim al the way to one side. Also you might have to replace some of the half shafts because those have broken on my cross tiger while i was driving it. If you have that problem PM me and i will explain where to get new ones and how to fix it. If you have any other questions about the cross tiger PM i will do by best to help because im sort of new to RC Trucks as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
poohenry

thanks turbotb0205 i will try that so that i dont have to have my trim set all the way to one side in order for the truck to run straight. thanks again everybody.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Coder_TimT

And a big thanks to everybody in this thread from me too. I'm running straight and true now. Now for some moonlight playtime...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
poohenry

no problem. if you have any questions about the cross tiger just pm me i will do my best to help because i also have the cross tiger.