Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which Nitro Monster Truck to Buy?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which Nitro Monster Truck to Buy?

Old 01-31-2003, 09:07 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Nitro Monster Truck to Buy?

Hi All, I am fairly new to radio control cars but have been flying for 18+ years. I have two electric cars one Associated FT TC3 and one FT T3 Truck that I am building now. And I would like to pick up my first Nitro Monster Truck. Of course I imediately think of getting the new TMaxx 2.5 but I am wondering if there is a better truck to buy. I want a powerful and fast auto shifting two speed with good suspension and a reverse option. One thing I want to do is replace the receiver with a Novak XXtra Syntesized FM RX because I will be getting the Novak Switch for my New M8 soon and would like to use my M8 in the truck. Also I have a Hobby People that is very local so I need to buy a truck that they stock parts and upgrades for. Another reason why I am thinking Tmaxx. Any Ideas would really help and all your Tmaxx drivers do you like your new 2.5 trucks. Does the 2.5 really have enough power without buying a big block truck?
Thanks Much
Joe
Old 01-31-2003, 09:48 PM
creeping death

dont know much about the tmaxx..have read that it is very fast... i have the hpi savage.21...it is a true 1/8th scale monster truck, with huge suspension travel(6+ inches), handles awesome, and has a reverse option, which I don't have and probably wont get since i'm used to not having one anyway...pretty fast, but needs 16 tooth clutch bell for more top end...it is also a 2 speed auto...good luck!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
viper21

Default Savage 21

Yes I was just reading about your truck in the new issue of RC Car Action. It looks awesome and like it would run over just about anything? One very cool looking truck. I could swap my radio into the truck from what I saw when I read the review and reread it a couple of times. How is durability of the truck any problems with it yet?
One thing I wish the manufactures would do is offer their trucks without radios for those of use that have them already. I did read that HPI may be bring out a kit of the Savage now that would be cool. You have a very nice truck and thanks for the help.
Joe
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
SINNER

the tmaxx is a very good truck. So is the savage. Either one will put a big smile on your face and thats what counts. The tmaxx comes with the two speed and reverse that you mentioned, and a lot of aftermarket parts are available everywhere. A word of caution though, the old tmaxx parts don't always fit and traxxas is slow in putting out parts for it because there is so much demand for the truck itself. On a possitive note, I don't think anyone is left wanting when it comes to the engine. It was just dynoed in rc nitro magazine at almost 2 hp. and it goes over 40 mph. Get plenty of fuel for either you get cause you wont want to put em away.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:22 PM
savageone

RC Nitro magazine just did a match-up between the Savage and T-Maxx. T-Maxx won because it's faster (stock, anyway-gear the Savage like the Maxx and I think the tables would turn) and they're about even from there. They rated the T-Maxx better in terms of starting because of the EZ Start system, but my Savage usually starts in one pull and my buddy's T-Maxx consistently takes longer to start. The Savage handles jumps better - is more likely to land on all four wheels - and (I think) is better on the track. But perhaps you'd like the T-Maxx's included reverse module- putting one in the Savage cost about $50.
Short answer: I think you'd be happy with either of the two trucks. Have fun!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
viper21

Default Tmaxx

Yes I am kind of leaning towards the Tmaxx for one good reason the Hobby People 15 minutes from me sells them and all the spare parts along with the up grades. I think that the first thing I will do is install my Novak RX so I can use my M8 in the truck.
THanks Again
Joe
Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
LandShark

i highly recommand Savage 21.

but, even i dont have a 2.5 t-maxx, i still believe it is a good truck.

but(again), i feel its design is out of date.

look at the chassis design of savage 21, no wonder it handles

much better than Tmaxx
Old 01-31-2003, 10:29 PM
creeping death

I have about 20 tanks through it and have taken it offroad twice(live in the city), at a bmx track, jumped it several times up and off hills over 6 ft. high, and havent broken a thing, and am only on my second glow plug. the savage is a handfull to start when new(pullstart). bloody knuckes and all! :cry:
Old 02-01-2003, 03:49 AM
stadium-truck1

savage is defantly a great truck (so is the t-maxx but everyone has one) with the savage you have a unique desighn good speed and you could get the reverse module that is out at tower hobbies now
Old 02-01-2003, 05:49 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

ANOTHER TMAXX OWNER!

Sorry....I couldn't resist since I read that everyone has one.

I don't think because there are allot of TMaxx owners out there that you should then buy a Savage. As has been stated before....they are both good trucks...and that is what you are asking for.....is to have each of us offer our input based on which MT we have. That being said....let me offer some info on the TMaxx.

I own the 2.5 TMaxx and have found it to be an awesome truck. It has power to spare....and is just plain fast! Listening to the two speed tranny shift and watching it haul is something to behold.....as it would be with any MT.

Points that I seem to always remark about are the two speed tranny with reverse for when you need it. The EZ start makes it a breeze to start the engine. It's actually quite a concept when you think about it. How many of us want to go out to our real cars/trucks and have to pull on a rope to get the engine started? Well....the EZ start is to the TMaxx as the electric starter is to the automobile engine. Once you've tried it....you'll always have fond memories of it and how well it works.

I also like the paint scheme...it looks very nice. The truck handles well....drives well....is very durable....you can upgrade it until the cows come home with after market parts found most anywhere....has an easy to tune engine....excellent support staff at Traxxas if you ever need to call them for assistance or warranty work....and it really does offer allot of value for the $$$.

I am glad that I bought one....someday I will buy a Savage....once HPI has enough available parts for the Savage and I have saved enough money to buy it.

Either way....if you decide on the TMaxx....or the Savage....you'll get a nice MT. It just depends on what is practical for you and what your hobby store can offer you in the way of parts, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2003, 03:58 PM
creeping death

i know the reputation of the tmaxx...not a lot of bad things to say about it...however, i'm the kind of person who dosen't want what everyone else has, so i took a chance on the savage, thinking it looked more like a monster truck than a toy, and because its so darn impressive looking. power to me isn't everything.tmaxx is a great truck, but i think savage is too...maybe i'll just go pick up a tmaxx today so i have both!
Old 02-01-2003, 04:11 PM
LandShark

the flat panel chassis design is being used by all trucks, except

savage. the unique design made savage the best handling.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:42 PM
viper21

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys for all the help its really appreciated. If any of you need help with a plane of any kind just email me and I will do my best too help. I have made my desicision I am buying the 2.5 Tmaxx I dont really care that everyone has one I just care that I can buy a ton of parts and upgrades at the Hobby People store that's only 15 minutes away from my house Thats a big part of my choice and I do think the Tmaxx looks very cool even in stock form. And I am sure if the truck is anything like my planes I will be upgrading all kinds of stuff. Well first I need to get my two electric Associated cars running and then I will pick up a Maxx.

As for the Savage its super impressive and is a beast but I like the availability of parts for the Maxx.
Thanks Much Joe
Old 02-01-2003, 09:29 PM
creeping death

I would think in 30 to 60 days, you will see savage hop ups and parts everywhere.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:41 PM
viper21

Default Tmaxx

You know I was thinking about buying my Tmaxx after I build my two Associated electrics. But I figured what the hell I might as well get one now and roost the track or dirt around the house while I am building the Associated cars. So all I need is the truck and a XXtra Novak Receiver for my M8 and Switch. Stay tuned I am sure if cars and trucks are anything like planes I will be upgrading mine soon.
Thanks Guys again
Joe
Old 02-01-2003, 09:51 PM
LandShark

viper21, the reason you chose t-maxx is not good.

there are more and more savage hop-ups coming.

sure, there are alot of t-maxx hop-ups, but are you

going to buy all of them in one purchase?

i just added skid plate and oil tank guard for my savage,

and i am waiting for the alum shocks.

my point is you dont need all the hop-ups right NOW.

you can wait, then add them one by one. it is more fun

than installing all of them in one day.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:54 PM
LandShark

also, the easy break parts are available in my LHS already.

such as, uprights, shock shaft, dog bone, central shaft.

etc
Old 02-01-2003, 10:06 PM
creeping death

YEP! :thumbup:
Old 02-01-2003, 10:11 PM
viper21

Default Tmaxx

Land Shark, I did not choose the Tmaxx just because of its parts availabilitly. I chose it because I have read both reviews and it has the options that I want on it already. Electric start and reverse gear. I dont need to buy the reverse module. But their is some truth in the fact that Hobby People the closest Hobby store to me supports the Tmaxx much more than they do the HPI cars and that is important to me. So I dont have to drive to a hobby shop farther away to buy parts that had I bought another truck I could have had the parts in 15 minutes, So yes its a part of the reasons I made my choice but not the only reason.
Thanks Viper
Old 02-01-2003, 10:15 PM
LandShark

pull starter is more stable than EZ starter. i dont have problems

with pulling ,^^ strong arm, yea

anyway, new t-maxx is a good truck too
Old 02-01-2003, 10:40 PM
crash_me_over

viper21.....You'll enjoy your new TMaxx.

As you can tell....there are some very strong supporters of the Savage....and for good reason. It is also another winner MT.

Let us know how things are going with your engine break in and anything else you may encounter.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:54 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

BTW..
I'm kinda waiting for the TA MONSTER GT comes out
I want a monster truck.. but
B) Just spent 400 on a New Mugen 4XRWorks..(still shipping. )
C) Need to buy a motor.. ~$300 (nice one )

I'm gonna wait till the Monster Gt comes out so I can see some comparisons!
If I can fit a nice 3 HP buggy motor on a monster GT.. technically it should kick savage and tmaxx ass.. thats a big IF.. but I'm willing to wait for it
-ram
Old 02-01-2003, 11:07 PM
viper21

Default Associated Monster

Yes I forgot about the Associated Monster truck I remember reading about it in a past issue of Car Action. I have two Associated cars now that are still new in box. Both Factory Team cars one is a TC3 and the other is a T3 electric truck. I need to build them and drive them on the track but I dont want to tear them up by driving them off the tracks which is one reason I want a Monster truck. I am sure that the Associated will be trick but I think the Tmaxx will make me happy.

Crash, I have been flying glow airplanes for 18+ years so I know how to break in an engine is there something different with a truck engine especially the Tmaxx engine I should know before I break it in?
Thanks Viper
Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 AM
crash_me_over

viper21.....We have flying airplanes in common. I have been into airplanes for about 18 years also.

As far as breaking in the engine on the TMaxx.....it is a little different due to the fact that it's already installed in the rig (no bench break in) so you'll be driving it right off.

When you get yours....just be sure to follow the manual for the break in procedure. It's different as you'll see from how we would break in airplane engines....but it's also fun. When I was breaking mine in....I had a few guys come by and watch me as I was speeding up...and slowing down....(following the instructions)....and they seemed a little puzzled as to why I was driving the way I was. I finally explained to them that I was doing the engine break in and I assured them that I did know how to drive. They seemed amused and let out a hearty laugh. I took that as...they must believe me. Maybe they didn't!

Be sure to have extra glow plugs on hand. I went through 5 of the Traxxas brand breaking mine in and finally switched back to my usual brand of OS #8 and have not had problems since.

I'm using 15% nitro with 16% oil Wildcat fuel that I have been buying from Hobby Town locally. Some guys use 20% nitro....and some are using airplane fuel with 10% nitro. When I have used up the gallon of Wildcat fuel that I'm currently using....I'm going to try my airplane fuel and see how it does. The one thing I see when switching fuels is to make the necessary needle adjustments so you don't damage the engine. That's a given so nothing earth shaking about that.

Be sure you have a fully charged 7.2 volt battery for the EZ Start controller. If you need to buy one...or two...let me know as I have a good source for very good NIMH batteries at great prices.

I think you'll do fine. You have skills to depend on....the rest is just plain fun!

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:56 AM
viper21

Default Tmaxx

Hi Crash, well thanks much for all the information on breaking the Tmaxx engine? I had wondered which fuel and glow plugs to use. It would seem that the OS # 8 is a universal plug as I run them in most of my airplanes unless they are fourstrokes and then I run an OS type F fourstroke plug of course. I am really looking forward to getting my truck and will let you know how it runs once I do get it!@
Thanks Again Viper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.