Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The curse of the LST

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The curse of the LST

Actually I can't blame this one on the truck... ALL my fault. The curse part revolves around this trucks reluctance to make it to the racetrack. This is the third(yes, THIRD!!!) time I have broken this truck ON THE WAY TO THE TRACK. I was running late and knew I wouldn't have time to tune on the track, so I pulled over into a school parking lot to check it over and make sure all was right. Man this thing was flying with the newly swapped in LRP spec 2, and I was all jazzed up. Good weather, truck was right on, I felt good.... everything was just right in the universe for a couple of minutes.... then that damn curb jumped out in front of me.

It did surprisingly well considering this happened at WOT, top of second gear. Final part count(so far)-- bent main chassis plate, bent lower front chassis plate, bent lower mid chassis plate, bent upper front chassis plate, broken main chassis side rail, broken upper front chassis brace, all of the front pin braces are tweaked, four bent hingepins, busted fuel tank, broken radio box, several sheared or bent fasteners, two bent ball studs, screws were ripped out of the front bulkheads so they are junk, front bumper got cracked, One of the steering servos crapped out, my Spektrum RX seems to be dead, new battery pack is toast.... that's enough, I'm tired of looking at it tonight.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
duckedup

Default RE: The curse of the LST

Wow! that's a nice list there lol.. that sux..
Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Sugafree

You should have called your Thread "The curse of the LST Driver"
Good time for some Up-grades....
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Chronic

Yeah, for real! I am the curse on my LST2...

*** A word of warning: DON'T zip-tie your battery packs, or anything else heavy, to your trucks. That 5 cell 2/3A pack was fastened to the front of the shock tower with two 40lbs. tensile strength nylon zip-ties... it was laying about 15 feet in front of the truck. The outer filter on my Motorsaver actually came off from the impact and flew a few feet. The truck did NOT flip so there was no damage from any secondary hits. The fuel tank broke because it ripped off it's mounts in the initial impact.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
-SomeGuy-

Did you ever consider doing like 46u and racing your savage? Unless theres some kind of rule against that at your track.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Evader ---> MGT

At least the RPM's held up
Dang, the rx would be enough for me to cry about, besides a million aluminum things and billions of other screws and bits.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch... Sorry to hear that..
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Ken448

maybe your truck is a bit too fast for your driving ability? Im not trying to offend you but, Its been a LOOOOONG time since a curb has jumped out in front of me. Or any solid, stationary non race track object (anything goes on the track). In a school parking lot, there is just no reason to hit a curb at WOT. You really should either change your driving style, slow down your truck or both. When I drive, I dont often look AT my truck, I scan about 5 to 10 feet ahead of it depending on the speed and glance at the truck as needed. Again, no offence intended here just a couple tips. And faster isnt always fastest on a track! I still run the stock 427 (second one) on my LST with great results. Im not the fastest on the straight, but I make it up on the infield where it counts
Old 01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Chronic

I'm sure it seems like that, and I would think the same thing if I was you, but it was just a matter of me breaking from my normal routine and then not paying attention to what I was doing.

I looked at it again this morning before I left for work. It's not THAT bad. Most of my aftermarket parts survived without a scratch, and most of the stuff that did break was scheduled to be replaced eventually anyway. This truck served some time as a basher and the fit of most of the chassis parts was getting a little loose, so I guess some new plastic was in order anyway. This also gives me an excuse to whip up some 7075 chassis plates. I have to rethink my battery location now too, so I might make the new main plate where it lets a 5 cell AA pack sit where the reverse servo originally was.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
HerrSavage

I was wondering if you also do LST chassis plates...

Pics when you get 'em...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Don't let a high speed curb hit change where you mount a battery. A properly mounted hump pack on the front shock tower has some real benefits for racing.

The vertical ties are not holding it, they simply stabilize it. If they are too tight they will shear on hard hits. The beefy ziptie (actually 2 zip ties that are attached as one) run through the outer layer of the plastic covering and hold it firmly to the tower. It took me a while to come up with this configuration but I have never lost a battery a the track. This is a 2700mah Ballistics pack.

I should mention that I have noticed some zipties are not worthy of this application. I make sure the zip ties are not brittle...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Chronic

That looks good. I didn't know 5 AA cells fit there so nicely. I'll give your setup a whirl, but I still might make a little bracket to hold it on there...

Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Sugafree

I run a 5-AAs Hump Pack in the Rev Servo's spot,
Old 01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Vigilante212

Yea I plowed my xxx-nt into a curb at wot, broke the entire front housing cost me $60 to fix lol. I can only imagine what your little mistake will cost.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM
jombo

i dont think any rc would of survived that kind of hit. all i know is i hit a garbage can ( those 55 gallon ones) at the park once with the savage at 2 mph and broke the front steering hub and bent the axle and the dogbone and it was under braking. so far for me at least the only truck that has'nt broke yet is the lst2 and the mgt.
see now when i take them out they will break something, i just jinxed myself...
Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM
scottywilkes

MGT is one hard truck to break, of the 3.5 gallons ive run it so far ive only broke a a arm, once again curb jumped out in front of me at 3/4 throttle lol, and some transmission problems, solved with a FOC. Great truck, glad i picked it.

Thats some nasty damage there mate, Id be atleast happy that the LRP28 spec 3 didnt get damaged, that would be something to cry about
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Vigilante212

he has the older vs the LRP spec 2
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 AM
HerrSavage

Why does everybody change the location of the battery pack on their LST's?? Just for handling and ease of changing when racing, or are there other reasons??

BTW, I bought a 1600 Ofna flat pack from Killer, and it's got that weird end thing(Stecker, in German, can't think of the damn English word - so, not Bec for ex..) Is it OK to solder a Futaba(I think that's what it is) Stecker on there, and then connect it with a Futaba to Bec adaptor - or is that bad??
Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
duckedup

The battery pack up front is for better turning, keeping the front wheels planted.

and.. you can do whatever you want with your stecker, but we don't need to hear about it! LOL

No seriously, are you talking about the connector? ..ex. Futaba "J" type connector? ....I had to trim a little tab off of my battery pack connector in order for it to fit into the RS300 receiver... Is that what you're talking about? If so, I wouldn't cut anything, just trim it up a little..
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 AM
HerrSavage

"Connector" - yeah, that's what I meant..(there's enough to learn in this hobby in just one language...) Anyway, the problem is, the receiver for the LST2 has the socket thing that's rectangular, with a little piece off to the side down in the corner(Futaba??), but the battery pack has the connector without that little piece off to the side. So, it works, but it can come out easily - which ain't good.. I bought a Bec connector which I could solder to the pack, then use an adaptor to the receiver socket - but that all just sounds so iffy...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 AM
duckedup

Sounds like more points of possible failure....

Do you have a pic? On mine (same receiver as yours) my connector wouldn't fit because of the tab on the side (mines the "J" style, coming off the pack) I had to shave that down, almost completely off for it to fit, but I made sure it was still tight.. That's why I'm asking about a pic, I'm not sure which connector would be too small for this receiver..
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 AM
HerrSavage

It sounds like my problem is exactly the opposite. The receiver is for the J connector, but the batt pack doesn't have that little lip on it, therefore it's not secure in the receiver.. Sorry Chronic for hijacking..
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Ken448

I think he is saying it has the large servo plug on it instead of the small 2 pin battery plug. If you arent running reverse, just plug it into the 3rd channel. If you have a RS300, this will give you a full 6V to your servos instead of the BEC rated 4.5V.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
BigBadBuzz

LST-Maxx. Everytime I drove mine it broke.