Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Old Electric Guy Wanting to get into Nitro Trucks...Help Please?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Old Electric Guy Wanting to get into Nitro Trucks...Help Please?

Old 02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Stingray
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Electric Guy Wanting to get into Nitro Trucks...Help Please?

Hello All,
I've been out of the RC hobby for close to 15 years now, but I'm feeling the urge to once again pick up the hobby that I loved as a kid. In my very early teens I used to race electric buggy's weekly and loved it. Once I got into high school the WOMEN and sports bacame priority over any hobby and I just sold off all of my stuff. Now I will date myself.....my first buggy was a Hornet. Stop laughing...you probably had one too. After burning through about 5 plastic cars I finally got the money saved for the "treasured" RC-10(with aftermarket graphite chassis). The was the car that I raced for 3 years with many trophies to show from it. Anyways, I want to get back to the hobby that excited me so much as a teen.
I've been doing a ton of reading and I'm really torn on how to spend my money. Here's what I know....I want 4 wheel drive, I want a truck that is known to be reliable, I'd prefer a "touch start" type of ignition, and I want speed and power. This truck will only be used for back yard and forest preserve type settings....nothing too hardcore. So here's where you come in. I need suggestions on what truck to get. I'm looking to spend around $500.00 total for the truck and radio. I've been reading that most nitro truck owners either have a Savage or a Maxx because of the part availibility and aftermarket parts availible. Are these two trucks the "cream of the crop?" I'm not really concerned about tricking out this truck, I just want reliability and power. At one of the big name internet hobby sites I was reading about the Kyosho Mega Force(.15). This truck looks like something that I would like. I was also looking at the Duratrax 1/8 Nitro Quake. I noticed in the description that the Nitro Quake had a bigger engine(.21) and a shaft drive system...Are all 4wd nitros shaft driven? I ask because back in my electric days all 4wd stuff used a flimsy chain drive system that would break quite often. I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I would have to post 10 times to get all of these questions answered.
So, in short....help. Please post your personal opinions and let me know what you would spend your money on. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:20 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Stingray....Welcome aboard!

Since I am at work and need to get going.....I would suggest the 2.5 TMaxx since what you have described that your looking for....the TMaxx has.

I also own one and am very impressed! I'll try and offer more info later when I have more time.

In the meantime.....here is what I am talking about in case you haven't seen it just yet.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXPW87**&P=0

Talk to you again!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:58 PM
LandShark

consider about Savage 21. its top end speed is lower than t-maxx.

but it beats t-maxx on track. it has good handling, and jumping ability

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZW1&P=7
Old 02-03-2003, 10:24 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Here's some info that may be helpful:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...64&forumid=216]
Old 02-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Stingray
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Crash!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:02 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

With a 3+ channel radio,m you can even rig the tmaxx to self start
just get it to hit the start button and if your car dies.. boom you can start it with your remote

I'm really waiting for the Monster Gt..
ITs gonna be killer!!
I'll reserve my judgement until I See that !
-ram
Old 02-04-2003, 01:46 AM
bueno_z

Hey if I were you I would get the Nitro Savage 21. I was faced with the same delema of choosing between Savage, or T-maxx.

I chose the Savage. Compare the two side by side, and onse you have seen them both I think you will agree the Savage rules!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:43 AM
SINNER

I'd have to say the Tmaxx based on what you said you are looking for. Electric start being hard to come by. All mt's that I know of have shaft drive. The Savage and Tmaxx are both "the cream of the crop" and Kyosho's megaforce is said to be underated and a good truck but parts aren't going to be as readily available. Associated is also coming out with an mt soon (you seem to be an Associated fan). All in all I don't think you could really go wrong. Almost all of the big name trucks are dependable and well built. Just go with what appeals to you the most and has the features you are looking for. Also pullstart isn't horrible after you get it broken in and you can always get a starter box. As for me, I have the Tmaxx and am very happy with it. I'm also saving up for one of each of everything else. Okay maybe two of each. Welcome to the insanity. Have fun.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:14 PM
bueno_z

I forgot about Associated, and ther new monster truck. Sinner is right. You might want to wait for this truck to come out. I t looks like a tough truck.

I am actually saving money to get this truck. The truck is called, " Monster Gt".
Old 02-05-2003, 05:56 PM
SINNER

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
With a 3+ channel radio,m you can even rig the tmaxx to self start
just get it to hit the start button and if your car dies.. boom you can start it with your remote
-ram

It doesn't quite work like that Ram. The batteries are in a seperate starter wand that you touch to the truck when starting It would save me a lot of running if it did.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 PM
FastAxis

Hey MAn,
The T-maxx is a great ride witha ton of parts, but it does have its downsides, plastick shock bodies for one , the reverse is kind of a scam if you ask me(un-necessary) but the electric start is nice, but there are so many more things to go wrong with that system. I prefer pull or drill start. The kyosho motor is awesome, but the truck that comes with it is so-so. The duratrax truck is junk plain and simple everyone will agree withthat. The decision to go 1/8 or 1/10 had to be made, so go with 1/8 bigger is better . If you have not seen them you should check out the Duratrax Axis(www.Duratrax.Com) it comes with a .21 motor, tons of hop-ups right out of the box. It has aluminum t6 frame and top deck as well as anodized shock bodies, dual brakes, three differentials, 4WD, and is fast and durable with little work. Priced at about 350 w/ radio gear it falls right tinto your price range. Just some advice. Love the unloved. Good luck and happy racing
Old 02-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

There is a dude that sells the "idea" of a remote starter.
The 3rd channal is used and the starter baterry/wand are all put on the truck.
When you stall out you hit you reverse switch and it will restart your truck.
Who knows how much weight it adds.

Go w/ the T-Maxx.More upgrades are available.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:24 AM
jeeptuff

TMaxx all the way, very reliable, has the ez start system, upgrades galore and available at any hobby shop, and don't exclude there customer support it's outstanding, also the have the engine trade in deal.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:48 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

check out terra crusher ...it could handle rough landing on jumps and has good handling too
Old 02-15-2003, 12:19 AM
bueno_z

Ya, Terra Crusher is good. If all you want to see is dust from other monster trucks ahead of you! That .18 engine in a 1/8 th scale truck just does not cut it. .18 engine in a 1/10 th monster truck O.K.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:04 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

its ok i can still catch up with the tmaxxes that rolledover after they jump hehehe seeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaa
Old 02-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Alteramod

bueno_z,
Hey, dont put down the terra crusher. Just like badboy2 said he will catch up after they roll over after hittin a jump lol. Also, the terra crusher can take a .21 without haveing to buy anything else, the t-maxx you have to buy a kit and the engine!!!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:42 AM
bueno_z

Diamondback,

I thought that the TC needed a kit for a .21 to fit?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Alteramod

i heard that it dont..... Anyone else please help us here lol.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:48 AM
bueno_z

Diamondback,
Do you own a TC? If so how do you like it so far? I was telling badboy2 I was thinking of getting it for my second truck for my son.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:29 PM
vonster

Stingray,
Based on what you want there is really no question of what to get. The T-MAXX is the truck for you. It is true that the t-maxx is hard to jump but i have yet to see any monster that jumps good. ( with stock suspension)

I have put the factory Team Associated shocks on my maxx. The shocks are mounted all the way in on the top of the shock tower and all the way out on the a-arms. I use 50 weight shock oil in all of them. And use the #2 piston in all of them. But these shocks only cost $60 for all 8.

As far as part availability, T-Maxx parts can be found in almost every hobby shop.

I like both trucks, T-Maxx and Savage but ifyou are just getting back into the hobby you will probably break a few things and rather than getting disgusted because you have to wait a week for a part just get the T-maxx and drive and have fun!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:16 PM
bueno_z

Vonster,
The SAVAGE jumps awsome with stock suspension. I guess you have not tried one yet.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:42 PM
vonster

Bueno_z,
yeah, I havn't got to try one myself. I plan on buying one eventually. The only thing I have to go on is the guys who have them at the track where I race. I havn't seen them run enough to get and idea. Out of all the monster trucks out I think the Savage has the best stock suspension. I'm anxsiuos to try one.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:09 AM
mtmiller302

Default You are as old as me!

My first RC was a Falcon in 1987! I had that and an RC12 in late '80s. Then, 13 years later, me and my bros and friends got back into RC in a big way late in 2000. Now, we have well over 40 RCs between of us, and 3 of us have almost all of them (37 at last count).

I'll be 40yo next month, but don't feel a day over 23. Good thing about age is that I don't pay much mind to what is "cool" and what is not. I stick with what works... or at least I try! As you can guess, we've learned a lot since going back into RC head over heels over 2 years ago.

Included in the fleet are two Savages, two older T-Maxxes, two older E-Maxxes, and a few Duratrax 1/8s to boot (Axis, NQ, TQ). I must say that the Duratrax stuff gets a bum wrap. Oh, their stuff is far from perfect. But, we own and have dismantled many, many 1/8 scale things and none of the mfr.s make perfect stuff. Like Ford vs. Chevy - it would be nice to take best parts of all and make one. Actually, I often do that... but that's another story.

If you want e-start then you've painted yourself into a corner. You're pretty much stuck with the Maxx. That's not a bad thing. But if I were you I would prefer the Savage. It is geared so well for tackling hills and forests as you describe. You don't need top speed with a MT. Or, why don't you wait for the Associated Monster GT? That should be nice. and BTW one of our Savages has a .25 in it - now that is a great pkg! Savage can be a pain to tinker with though - chassis is tight, esp.ly in engine area.

You mentioned NQ. The NQ is from an older school of MTs of which I would say the OFNA MP is also one (though MP enjoys better support and has seen nice updates along the way). Both need better diffs (ring and pinions really). Unless you install TQ diffs in the NQ, stay away from the NQ (though proper shimming and support of pinion bearing will increase ring & pinion life tremendously). The TQ has some of the toughest diffs we've seen - especially when set up properly. Like any RCs, some attention to how your RC is set up and tweaked will go a long way in both performance and longevity.

At this point, my favorite overall MT is still anything buggy-based. They just don't tip over as much as the Maxxes and clones. They are also much easier to work on. But, if you are doing a lot of root hopping and won't see many full throttle corners, then maybe tipping won't be an issue.

Well, that's enough for now... can't wait to here what you pick!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:29 AM
Alteramod

bueno_z,
nope sorry I dont have one but it looks great. Im still trying to decide if I want to get the TC or the new Monter GT that is coming out soon. Depends how much the GT will cost, and how much im wanting to spend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.