Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Who's new lid do you like more? Dale's or Britney Spears?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Britney Spears bald lid
27.03%
Dale's F150 lid
72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Who's new lid do you like more? Dale's or Britney Spears?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's new lid do you like more? Dale's or Britney Spears?

I just finished painting my new LST top. The funny thing is, I sold an LST with an F150 body painted blue with black stripes. Well, the new $200 LST I bought came with an unpainted F150 body, and I still had blue and black paint leftover, so what the heck. I am completely happy with how it turned out. All it took was 2 cans of paint and some masking tape. I am not airbrushing yet, so I am pretty stuck to basic designs. This is the best lid I have done yet. I just turned a $200 LST into a $300 LST with 2 cans of paint!

Dale's new F150 lid-

Vote which one you like better!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Who's new lid do you like more? Dale's or Britney Spears?

Nice lid..
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Hmm, I think Britney's might shine more. [X(]
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The links to the F-150 lid don't work for me []

I still prefer two little boxes with red X's to Britneys head though...
Old 02-18-2007, 11:52 AM
ssj2

Dale's lid looks way better by a milestone! Nice job!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:15 PM
jombo

i would have to say your lid dale, no contest.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
duckedup

LOL... one more vote for Dale's lid
Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
[email protected]

Nice job on the body, now Britney is crazy as a bag of cats, that girl is gone!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:47 PM
mordraid

No offense here, but the body on your truck will get beaten up and will eventually look bad...

Britney can only look better... so vote for britney. Hair can grow...
Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Vigilante212

pff britney is long past her prime . I vote for dale's lid
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: mordraid

No offense here, but the body on your truck will get beaten up and will eventually look bad...

Britney can only look better... so vote for britney. Hair can grow...
yeah, but she is always going to get older, so im voting for the truck
Old 02-18-2007, 09:20 PM
[email protected]

did you see the photo of her box, that girl is one wacked out chick. lets see drugs, going both ways, has kids but don't care, shaved her head and don't forget CRAZY!!!! There is a lot of girls in phila like that there called trash.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man, very nie job. You should have made a how to section from start to finish to help us painting noobies. I have about 4 bodies to paint when the get here in the mail. I definately have no idea how i cam make them look THAT good. Very nice job!

What was Brittney thinking? lol
Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 PM
JUCD VPR

I can't believe 4 people actually voted for Brittney lol
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 AM
WarRaven

I own a few bow ties 1:1 and prefer them to others, But i would take that Ford top/body over Britney at ANY point in her life.

In other words, nice job dude.

Peace

WR
Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Dang, thanks for the compliments guys! I didn't know if that vote was gonna favor me or not!

JUCD VPR, shoot if I would have known somebody could learn something from me, I would have done a write up. I consider myself very beginner at body painting. Here is a newb to newb write up though.

1. When I pull the body out of the bag, I get it under some water and hit it with a paper towel and some dish soap. That will get rid of anything leftover from the body manufacturer and give the paint something to stick to. The paper towel will actually lightly scuff the body's surface so be careful around areas you intend to keep clear.

2. Second, I always mark the body for body mounts while it's still clear. You can do this by putting the body on the body mounts of the vehicle and mark the body mount spots on the outside of the body (writing on the actual protective film); also mark the cutouts for the cooling head and gas tank lid if necessary. Sometimes you can actually put the new body right on top of the old body and all of your cutouts are ready to be traced- I put this F150 body right over the LST stock body and literally traced the body mounts and cutouts.

3. Mask off your pattern. I use the Tamiya body masking tape; I am not sure if it's any better then the normal 3M blue masking tape at Home Depot or not; it does seem to work well and has very low adhesion when it comes off. Apply the window masks that come with the body. On all masks, be very sure to double check the edges of the masks. Don't use your finger because of the oils, but use a paper tower or something and press all of the edges down.

4. Cutoff most of the excess body material. I usually cutout most of the excess material, but I usually leave the wheel wells intact until after I paint. Use some compressed air and do a final blow out before you spray. Save this excess body material!!!

5. Spray model paints are VERY sensitive to the temperature they are used in. It will spray like crap and not stick well if you try to use it in cooler temperatures (I have had adhesion problems even around 55F). The cans usually recommend room temperature (75F) and they don't even give a temperature range. Again, it will spray like crap if you try and shoot it in your cold garage. I have found that if you leave the body and the can in your house until you shoot, run out in the garage to shoot a coat and then bring the body and can back in the house that it will do ok. Be sure to ventilate well- it stinks.

6. Ok, body is sprayed. Pull the masking tape and spray any additional coats necessary. I usually always back up the base color(s) with a black coat at the end. A red without a black backing and a red with a black backing look quite different. Most colors are translucent and need a final solid coat to bring the color out. Otherwise you can still shoot like 4 coats of red or a metallic and still be able to see through the body. Don't get too excited and DON'T PULL the outer mask off yet because you haven't drilled the holes yet! I have done this. Also, make sure you give the paint time to dry before pulling the inner masks.

7. MUST HAVE BODY TOOLS- I can't iterate this enough CURVED LEXAN SCISSORS and a dremel with the smaller sanding drum. If you have ever done a body with regular scissors and then specialty curved scissors you know what I mean. It makes trimming the body so much easier and it looks so much better. No kidding. For $6, the scissors are 100% worth it. Use the curved scissors and cut any more excess material off of the wheel wells and cleanly trim the body. Use the dremel for final clean up.

8. Drill the body holes. This is tricky. Start with a smaller bit and support the body from the other side when you slowly drill through. If you don't drill with even pressure, the drill bit will just rip right through the body and make a mess. Been there done that. I usually do a pilot bit and then follow up with a bit the same size as the body mounts themselves.

9. I usually drill a small hole to begin any extra cutouts I need; For example, for a cooling head, I will drill a small hole at each of the corners and use the scissors to make the cutout. I will then clean the cutout up with the dremel.

10. What to do with excess body material. I always cut a few pieces of leftover material to stiffen and strengthen the area directly under the body mounts. I cut a single piece of material to go under and between the body mounts (about .5" extra material beyond the holes). I then glue the extra material to the body with shoo goo; You can get this at Home Depot. Wait for it to dry and redrill the holes. This will save the body if you ever take any hits on your lid.

That's it. Newb body painting tips for newbs! I hope it helps someone...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Vigilante212

Dales stuff is pretty good. Heres the mot comprehensive instructions ive ever found.

[link=http://www.rctech.net/articles/painting_hauntedmyst.shtml]http://www.rctech.net/articles/painting_hauntedmyst.shtml[/link]
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
JUCD VPR

Thanks man, very informative description. We will see how it goes once all my stuff gets here. I'll post pictures when i finish in a few weeks!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
farknben

I voted for Brit. Sorry Dale, your paint job is very nice[sm=thumbup.gif] but Id still rather look at her body then yours anyday! heheha