Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best plugs for the 2.5?

Old 02-09-2003, 05:23 AM
SuperMaxxMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best plugs for the 2.5?

ran my truck today (8th)..and i destroyed 2 or 3 glow plugs...they were mcoys mc-8..i have been lookin for the traxxas heavy duty plugs..but cant find.Well what are the best plugs besides traxxas heavy duty ones?...thanx
Old 02-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Dlock

I have been using OS #8 plugs. I hear that the OS #3a plugs are the same, except they are cheaper. I have not seen any documentation saying they are the one and the same, but others have posted that they are similar. I use the OS #8 plugs though....
Old 02-09-2003, 05:58 AM
forcelite
My Feedback: (1)

os 8 are great
Old 02-09-2003, 06:35 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

OS #3 & #8 plugs....#3 are cheaper.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:36 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

The OS plugs are short plugs and will lower your compression. Which wont cause any harm but will reduce power some. Also thee OS plug tips are to fat for the glow wire on my Tmaxx.

At the LHS the car guys say to use the McCoy 59. Its the right length and the glow wire fits. Its a hot plug. I have used it and it works fine. I also have used the McCoy 8 which is a medium heat plug. I have a gallon and a 1/2 thru my tmaxx and have not fried a plug yet.

Also I use Morgan Fuels Sidewinder Backyard Basher 20% fuel. It has 16% oil, which should make the engine and plug run a little cooler.

You may be running too lean or too hot. Look at your glow plug when you take it out. If its got some whiteish coating on the coil its been run too lean. If its got brown goo on it its too rich.

If you have a 1.5 volt glow driver, test the glow plugs with that. they should glow bright orange.

Another thing that can cause glow plugs to go bad is rubber. If you using a syringe that has a rubber O ring or one of those rubber squeeze bulbs to fuel your truck that could kill your glow plug.

Joe
Old 02-09-2003, 05:54 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Joe....Thanks for the good advice on the McCoy 59 plug. I'll have to pick up a few of those on my next order.

As for the wire going to the glow plug.....I removed mine altogether as it was easily damaged and didn't last very long. Now I just use my glow igniter so it doesn't matter which plug I have in.