Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Monster Truck ...wich one should i look for ??

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster Truck ...wich one should i look for ??

Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Jason B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Truck ...wich one should i look for ??

I want to buy a monster truck but i 'm a bit confuse. I am looking for the savage x ss kit , but I'm not 100% sure. there is many other trucks, ( team associated , team losi , traxxas....etc)

I won't use it for racing purpose, but i will play a bit hard with it [>:]

I am looking for a truck for bashing, but i i'm also looking for performance also ( acceleration, top speed, engine power, durability of course ..)

If any one can help me to make a good choice, i will apreciate a lot .. i

Thanks for your help

p.s.: Sorry for my poor english... hope you will understand
Old 02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
89ram

Default RE: Monster Truck ...wich one should i look for ??

i really like my revos. they are very durable, and pretty fast, although i have swapped big block motors into mine. i bash, and the revo takes it all very well. poor english? there are ALOT worse on here!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Jason B

Thanks 89ram I didn't look at the 3.3 revo, but i will it seem to be a good truck , ... Is the T-Maxx similar to the reve for the performance and durability ? Is th revo and t-maxx more powerful than the savage x ss
( all stock ) ?

If anybody want to share experience with their monster truck to help me in my choice it' will be great ...

Thanks guy
Old 02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

if you like building then the ss kit is for you but if its your first truck and doesnt have that much budget for a good servo and radio then u might wanna get the savage rtr..savage is the i think the most durable and will do better in bashing..
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
[email protected]

The MGT is a good truck and a bit cheaper then the savage. For just a basher both trucks are very good, what does your hobby shop suport.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Jason B

Thanks guy for your help

I have a team associated rc10 gt rtr but my engine is dead, I don't want to put money in it, Because i prefer to get a monster truck.

Team associated are simple , cheaper, and have a good durability . this is what i experiment with my rc10. But is the savage more powerful and more upgradable than the mgt 4.60? Because i want a truck that i can upgrade and customize.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
MrN8

I love my MGT for bashing. I've only had it a few weeks, but it was simple to tune and runs great. Even in the cold, I've yet to break anything.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Jason B

OK, Finaly after hours and hour of search on the net and in magazine, I finaly hesitate between 2 truck ... The Savage X and The monster gt 4.60

Can someone tell me wich one is the most powerful (stock) and if we can easily upgrade it ??
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
MrN8

Those two you mentioned are the easiest bashers to work on. The Monster GT is a bit more open, so it's easier to repair and clean up. The MGT also has a reputation for being more durable as a basher.

I'd say, pick the one you like and go with it. Either is a good choice. There is a larger after-market for the Savage, just because of the truck's huge popularity.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on your explanation of what you want, I would definitely recommend the Savage X SS. There is no tougher MT, frankly.. Plus you get to build it yourself while it's still winter - fun in itself, and you get to learn a bit about how it all goes together. Plus you get good radio gear(presumably..) from the get-go.

Most importantly, the X SS has done away with the perennial Savage diff problems..

All those other trucks are surely awesome too, but for toughness, Savage X SS all the way.. It'll cost more up front, but over the long run - which as a hobby is what you have to consider, it's actually probably cheaper than any of the other options - cuz you've got all the good stuff right from the beginning..
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
J_ME65

If this is your first truck, I'd say get the regular savage X. In my opinion it's easy to work on, it'll probly have all the power and speed you'd want, it'll take a beating more than any other truck I've had, and all the aftermarket parts you can get for it out does just about any other truck. I have had the warhead, do have the t-maxx 3.3, the savage X, the mammoth st, and a Losi Lst. Out of all of them, I think the savage is about the most all around user friendly, but each one does have it's own pros and cons.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Roscco

May i throw in a wild card and suggest a GST 7.7 ?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Jason B

Yes Roscco it can be interesting, but I don't really know those truck CEN , are they good trucks ( durability,power, parts not hard to find, etc.... ) ?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Ewanni

Wow, after reading this and speaking with a LHS worker who recomends the MGT, I think I'm going with the MGT. I just have a few questions about it.

I looked on the Associated website for it and it indicates some kind of "thumb steering" on their XP Radio system. Does that mean I have to control steering like on a video game controller? Or can I still grasp it like I do with my Traxxas stock radio controller?

How fast does the MGT go at top speed?

And does it come with pullstart? If so, is it easy and recomended to change to a nonpull start device?(I forgot what it's called, not the EZ Start by Traxxas).
Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 AM
MrN8

ORIGINAL: Ewanni

Wow, after reading this and speaking with a LHS worker who recomends the MGT, I think I'm going with the MGT. I just have a few questions about it.

I looked on the Associated website for it and it indicates some kind of "thumb steering" on their XP Radio system. Does that mean I have to control steering like on a video game controller? Or can I still grasp it like I do with my Traxxas stock radio controller?

How fast does the MGT go at top speed?

And does it come with pullstart? If so, is it easy and recomended to change to a nonpull start device?(I forgot what it's called, not the EZ Start by Traxxas).
The controller is the standard pistol grip type. I'm not sure what they mean by thumb steering.

Top speed out of the box is somewhere around 35mph. There are some easy (cheap / free) mods you can do to change that. Read here (http://www.monster****rum.com) for a ton of great info on the monster GT.

The MGT 4.6 is actually dual-start, so it has a pull start and a rotary start. They call it a drill start, but I just picked up a Team Losi spin starter off of eBay for starting mine.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Ewanni

Yeah the drill start, that's what I saw another LHS guy use to start his Savage. The MGT being a dual-start, does that mean I can start the engine either way I want?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ewanni

The MGT being a dual-start, does that mean I can start the engine either way I want?
Yep, that's exactly what it means. It's a pretty good feature in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Ewanni

Then I think I know which MT to get [8D]