Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

2.5 vs Hyper 8 port?Will their be a difference?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

2.5 vs Hyper 8 port?Will their be a difference?

Old 02-11-2003, 06:14 AM
SuperMaxxMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 vs Hyper 8 port?Will their be a difference?

iam thinking of getting a .21 conversoin when i get the money.Iam thinking of getting the Ofna hyper .21 8 port...and i have a 2.5 right now.Will there be a difference?becuz i dont want to but the .21 if it is the same speed as 2.5.Thanx
Old 02-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Brewyet

There should be a big differance, the 8 port puts out around 2.5 HP. I am trying to decide between the 8 port or the XTM .247 for my Savage.

Later....Brewyet
Old 02-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

i had the ofna 8-port in my truck and its no good. The pullstart rope always breaks, and it has no torque at all. It wouldnt even move in the grass unless you gave it a push. It would be awsome in a car because it revs really high and has lots of high end power, but its no good for a truck. I would buy the .247 or the ofna .25 becuase they fit in .21 powered trucks/conversions, and they would have more torque than most .21 engines and way more than the 8-port and other high rev engines.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:28 PM
LooneyTunes

I have the 8 port in my Savage. Coupled with a RB 086 pipe, it wheelies my 12 lb Savage all day.

Don't listen to Isphius. He must have some kind of tuning/gearing problems. My 8 port has enough bottom end torque to flip my Savage on it's back.

I assume you are looking at putting the 8 port in a T-Maxx. With stock gearing you probably won't see much difference in top speed. Both engines top out between 38K-40K RPM. But if you gear it up the 8 port will run all over the 2.5. The other thing to consider before dropping a .21 in a Maxx is that you will have to upgrade just about every driveline component on the truck. The T-Maxx is not made to handle the power of a .21.

LT
Old 02-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Brewyet

No, I have a Savage. How hard is the hyper21 8 port to install? Is there any mods that I will have to do to fit it in? what about the clutch and manifold? can I use stock?

thanks....
Old 02-11-2003, 04:28 PM
LooneyTunes

Brewyet,
The part about the T-Maxx was for SuperMaxxMan.

The Hyper 8 port is a direct drop in. The stock header fits. The stock flywheel/clutch assy works just fine. A word of caution. I am wheelstanding my Savage with a 16t clutchbell. With the stock 14t clutchbell the wheelies will probably be insane. I would replace the stock clutch shoes. They slip pretty easily. I use a MIP clutch for the MP 7.5. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The stock throttle return spring does not fit. It's too long. I just run without it. I suppose I should figure out a way to hook it up. But I just haven't got around to it. :stupid:

LT
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 AM
aip_tuner

Default LT

Hey lt what clutch bell (brand) are you using, buddy of mine has a savage and got a 15T mugen (i think) and it is geting superhot, like it is a little to big???
Old 03-11-2003, 05:53 AM
aip_tuner

Default oops forgot something.

Who makes the RB 08 pipe??

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Thats like saying what model is the Honda Accord and who makes it? LOL

RB makes it and its pipe EFRA 1351-086 (This is the FULL INLINE SET).
I think this is the way to go (no silicone) but this set is retailed at about $115. You can find it for about 90 if you look around.

OR.. you could get just the pipe for about 60 at Ace.

Remember the 086 is a HIGH SPEED pipe. IF you want low end, you wanna get the 063 pipe. I know its good but I dont know how good.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 PM
LooneyTunes

aip_tuner,
I am using the Ofna 16T vented clutchbell. The picture on Tower is not of the right clutchbell. It looks like this.

LT
Old 03-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Isphius

Originally posted by LooneyTunes
I have the 8 port in my Savage. Coupled with a RB 086 pipe, it wheelies my 12 lb Savage all day.

Don't listen to Isphius. He must have some kind of tuning/gearing problems. My 8 port has enough bottom end torque to flip my Savage on it's back.

LT
it may have been tuned wrong, but the gearing was stock monster pirate gears and stock pipe. It might be the pipe, but i didnt like that engine very much. It was an awesome engine for racing dirt bikes and stuff but its climbing power and 0~15mph werent good. Does the savage have a 2 speed? that could be why it works better too. It lets the engine rev up into its powerband sooner.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

A word on the 8 port. I just installed one, haven't tested it as far as torgue goes since I realized my trans is messed up (I'm awaiting parts). But I will tell you this, I broke the pull chord (rope) not the spring within a couple of pulls. This was with glow plug loose too. Note, the spring didn't break.

I was able to rebuild the pull starter using venetian blind string (I'm in trouble when the girlfriend finds out!). Haven't broken it again. During this rebuild, I made the extension part of the handle longer (part with clear tube around it), as the original was too short.

After 2 tanks and slightly leaned, the 8 port seems to scream to crazy rpms

I probably would have gotten the .25 Ofna, but didn't want to mess with drilling new engine mount holes. While changing motors, I changed from plastic 3 clutch shoes to aluminum clutch shoes for 7.5 Mip. Had previously changed to 3 shoe plastic. I'm glad I ordered from Tower Hobbies since the plastic ones were cracked around the stud holes. Haven't gotten a chance to run the new aluminum ones yet.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Brewyet

I have about 1 gallon of fuel through my 8-port. I had to replace the slipper clutch last night. It was fried beyond recognition. I ran a tank through with the new clutch. I cant pull wheelies (16t clutch bell) but that thing is FAST. It puts out plenty of smoke when I lean it out, but it gets too hot. I just run it ritch.

later.....brewyet
Old 03-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Isphius

i have a bump starter to start mine. Despite how everyone says there hard to hold and stuff, i hold a radio and the and start it by myself just fine. It will save you some time with breaking cords, i only used my cord when away from the non-rc truck. I dont know what make it is or where i got it, a friend gave it to me a few years ago to start a boat and never wanted it back.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:25 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I'm gonna throw in my question in here as well..

I'm trying to look for a 16T clutch bell ( even 15 or 17 is fine).

But.. When I bought a duratrax clutch bell , the dman things was too short!
The "skirt" isnt long enough and on top of that the gears dont have a "neck" before them so they are not long enough to reach the transmission!

I need something thats at least about 22mm in LENGTH.
Too bad tower doesnt say anything about the length of their clutch bells!!
And.. the duratrax I got at my LHS was only 10 bucks!!
Oh hey.. just remembered. I found out that there a hobby store for RC cars only about 3 miles from my place! It was closed yesterday so I'm gonna hit that up and go to school too

I'll see you guys later on this evening and you better have some answers for me! (lol j/k)
-ram
Old 03-12-2003, 04:06 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The duratrax bell you bought was for kyosho. They do not have the required spacing between the clutch bell and the pinion gear for most 1/8 scale buggies.

I have a few kyosho 1/8 scales. If you want I can swap a new hardened 18 tooth bell that will fit your mugen for it. Let me know and it'll be in the mail.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:50 PM
AdamB

Hey, finally fixed my trans, and I gotta say the 8 port is awesome. It has so much torque, it wheelied my Savage with a 16 T clutch bell (14T is stock)

I'm gonna go back to stock clutch bell since my HPI clutch bell with needle bearings sucks. Inside the bell housing there is like a washer with teeth to hold the gears to bell housing. It is chewing up the top of my aluminum clutch shoes That is with enough washers to make sure it clears.

Anyway, with 14T stock gearing, it should really launch hard.

PS, it wheelied so hard and so fast, it flipped all the way over, tearing the zip ties off the 8 -port head and scratched her already ?Without top and on blacktop. Was just trying to dial in high speed needle.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
NDeedOne

Brewyet has the same setup...I think, but his won't nearly wheely...how are your needles set???
Old 03-16-2003, 10:53 PM
AdamB

I'm still leaning mine out. But I definitely don't have the needles where Ofna suggested. In fact, when I put the needles where Ofna recommended, my 8 port literally spit nitro.

Without actually counting the turns, I can tell you I have my low needle at least couple turns lean of flush.

I only have 3 tanks through my 8 port, and like I said, it still runs rich at my settings. There is a visible trail of oil on the blacktop where it runs.

I'll let you know how it acts with 14T. I also run K&N filter with 25% nitro and a squirt of PB blaster in the tank. PB Blaster is sorta like WD-40 but has a low flash point. Helps with lube, and gives it some power too. At least I like to believe...

AdamB