Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT vs Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
ridethelightnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT vs Buggy

Again, I am new to this so please bare with me.

I have been doing a lot of research in regards to buying a MT. However, I haven't really looked at what the advantages of a MT are over a buggy.

I would love to race but there aren't any local tracks to race. So my reasoning for buying a MT was that it would "seem" to be more versatile.

Are MTs now becoming more popular than buggy's?
What are all the benefits of a MT over a buggy and vice versa?
My thought was the higher the ground clearance of the MT would enable it to go through much rougher terrain, unlike a buggy?

My friend just bought an Ofna 9.5 MBX. How bad would he beat a T-maxx, or Titan? Just wondering because the MTs seem to be really fast but I know they are a bit heavier.

I'll just take one of each and make life easier!! I wish!!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:10 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default MT vs Buggy

Well I was thinking about the same thing
Heres what I found

Buggies are in general, FASTER than MTs
Buggies are MORE EXPENSIVE. A savage would definitely cost you less than a typical good buggy. With a buggy you goyya buy the chassis, motor, and radio separately

MTs are more for bashing while Buggies are for racing/jumping

I dont know which one takes more punishment. I've seen both of em go through hell and come out ok.

All in all I think MTs are "for fun" and buggies are for racing.

I bought a buggy cuz I liked the fact that I can choose what I want. and I had a radio anyway so.

If I had nothing, I think I'd go for a MT. Prolly a Savage at that.

Hope it helps
-ram
Old 02-12-2003, 07:00 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default MT vs Buggy

I own an MT.....the 2.5 TMaxx and I really enjoy it!

I also own off-road stadium trucks and enjoy them as well.

I think it just depends on what you intend to do with your rig. If you are not interested in racing....then an MT would be all you would want or need to begin with. Let's face it...your going to get hooked anyway....so buy what you want now...and later get that "other rig" that you thought about but didn't get the first time around.

Remember...it's about having fun.....so buy what you want...and go have some fun!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:59 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default MT vs Buggy

i got a terra crusher and i am enjoying it ...you will enjoy either or but i went with the mt because i like the looks and capabilities of it.,,my friends who have cars want to switch to mts now..when they saw mine jump
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default MT vs Buggy

Yeah true, the high end onroad cars handle like theyre on rails.
Theyre quite amazing.

But I live in a neighborhood so I would like to run it on grass as well
Yeah its up to your condition, your likes and the fun factor
Every case is different
write down what you want.. sounds silly but it actually works! lol
-ram
Old 02-12-2003, 09:49 PM
rcidiot728

Default MT vs Buggy

well for me, since i dont have a job, an emaxx is only a dream, but i had to opt for the stampede, it isnt bad, but when i get more into the hobby and learn more, a savage or tmaxx will be parked next to my stampede

anyway with the mods i did to my stampede, it can keep up with a stock emaxx, the 2.5 tmaxx is my next target
Old 02-13-2003, 01:22 AM
Alteramod

Default MT vs Buggy

I got the Ofna Ultra Lx Pro w/.25...... came with everything I needed. Runs great, and seems like it will be faster than my friends savage. We where hitting this little 1 to 2 foot jump (snowbank) and both seemed to jump no better than the other.
But when ever the time comes for a 6-10 foot jump i think that i will hold back with my buggy just to be safe... unless i have like $100 bucks i dont need then i would take the chance to see if it would hold together

This year sometime (around x-mas) im hoping to get the new Team Associated Monster GT. It looks like its going to be great and maybe by the time I get it.... it will have all the bugs out of it (well i hope anyways)
Old 02-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Justin_Sane

Default MT vs Buggy

Hey guys!
I'm in the same boat as ridethelightnin...I have been searching around for my first RC, with hopes of one day racing. I don't really want to fork out $500.00 just to goof off in my back yard or local baseball diamond with a really cool truck. I would like to get into racing at a beginner level...and upgrade from there. I want my first purchase to be something that I can upgrade and tweak. Can I get a decent buggy that fits this profile for $500.00? Is anyone out there racing the HPI Savage or the T-Maxx. Any suggestions to help me put my money where the track is would be great! :-)
Old 02-13-2003, 01:40 AM
pirate man

Default MT vs Buggy

I have a pirate monster w/ the hyper 21. no mods on this baby "yet". I have gone up against a savage and t-max. out of the box . sav only mod was a hyper 8 port. t and sav are faster then mine. at 1 hundred feet drag a got beat buy one t-max length and knocking on sav's doors. now check this out. both trucks are" two speed " . mine is a "1" speed . they were running 20% nitro and I was 15% nitro with 20 % synth oil "heli fuel" $14.50 a gal. I was running a bit lean just to accomplish this but. I can due to high oil content (20%). I'm on my 3rd gallon and so far no harm on the engine. so whats next! well a 2 speed is on the way and t-max & sav are anxious to see how they will run against my PIRATE MONSTER.
P.S. do your research !
cowboysfan
Old 02-13-2003, 02:21 AM
Justin_Sane

Default MT vs Buggy

Don't get me wrong!!...I plan to have lots O fun with my purchase, I would just like to get competative with it too.