Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Revo 3.3 vs others

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
zomg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 vs others

I've been into the nitro off-road cars for around 7 years now, but it's always been buggies (namely Kyosho Infernos). now, however, I've decided to get myself a truck. after a bit of research I was somewhat surprised to find that it's rather difficult to choose a right truck. where buggies have clear performance and quality leaders (XRAY XB8EC, Losi 8ight, and Mugen MBX5R), the truck scene seems a little more fuzzy to me.

the most obvious choice seems to be Traxxas Revo 3.3 because of it's features most importantly, the number of hop-ups available for it. I see my future truck with as many metal upgrades installed on it as possible, thefore Revo definitely has an advantage there. my only concern is the fact that Revo 3.3 is quite old now. I believe it was released over a year ago, which makes it possible that Traxxas will release an upgraded version of Revo or a new truck some time soon. that is the kind of situation that I really wouldn't like to face - having just bought a truck which has become obsolete.

I don't want to be biased though, so the main reason I'm posting this thread is to ask you guys this: what competition does Revo 3.3 have? what other trucks are a match to Revo in terms of the available hop-ups? are there any newer, more advanced and professional trucks out there? my total budget for a new truck is $1500 at most, so I'll have to choose something within that limit.

any advise and feedback is very appreciated.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Chronic

Default RE: Revo 3.3 vs others

The HPI Savage and the Traxxas Tmaxx both have a larger assortment of aftermarket parts available.

The Revo is a bad choice for you. If you add a bunch of weight to thing you are going to hinder the performance that drew you to it in the first place. All of those pretty aluminum and metal hopups that you want to install will weigh a ton once you put them all together, and the drivetrain of the Revo just isn't up to it... and it's not the best looking truck in the world either, at least not in my opinion.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
zomg

thanks for the advise, you're absolutely right about Revo's looks

anyway, a fwe questions about Savage. how old is HPI Savage X SS? is the engine on it any good? I've googled a bit and it seems that upgrades aren't a problem for it, so that's great, but assuming I don't have any metal hop-ups, how durable is it, can it take a beating? I see it has the same chassis design as Kyosho monster trucks, and those have proven to be quite vulnerable to rocks due to exposed diffs and crankshafts.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
[email protected]

With the kind of money you have I would take a look at the losi LST2.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Chronic

Yeah the LST2 would make a good choice too. The aftermarket is smaller, but it's still plenty big and there are tons of cosmetic hopups available. At least with the LST2 you won't have to upgrade the electronics for your intended usage.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 PM
zomg

in that case... Savage X SS or LST2? what are the pros/cons of each?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
[email protected]

I have the MGT cost a lot less then either of the two. I saw the LST2 in action and is one bad as@ truck stock. The savage is a little better then the MGT but not by much. I think but not 100% sure the savage and MGT are better for bashing and stuff, the LST2 is a stright out racing truck. I'm not hard core I just like to play so my next truck is going to be the savage or the losi aftershock. I was talking to a guy at the hobby shop and he races the MGT and does well so he tells me. I know stock that the LST2 will kick my MGT butt all over.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
zomg

then Savage seems like a better alternative. though it looks like I'd need to get a better engine for it (I somehow loathe pull-starting engines, I still remember the bloody blisters from stressing with my Kyosho Inferno mp 7.5) and a few metal upgrades, but otherwise it seems like a solid truck. any opinions on that?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 AM
mordraid

Yes, the savage X SS is defenetly a tough truck. With the kit, you can put the electronics you want and many hop-ups for the savage X are included in the X SS kit.

Aftermarket upgrades for the savages are abundant everywhere in almost all hobby shops and on ebay. It's a proven design with a kit that doesn't already have a year old, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Alteramod

I think that the stock engine on the savage would be enough to please you. Its not the best out there but its good for a stock engine IMO. My buddy had the first Savage .21 they came out with a while back and the truck held up well till we uped the motor to a ofna force .25 and then his dog bones started twisting and breaking. The heavy duty ones cured that though. Only suggestion if you up the motor is get the heavy duty ones... that is unless they come stock.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Chronic

The SS comes with a .28 engine, polished tuned pipe, lightweight pin tires, steel spur and vented clutch bell, HD cups, HD diff shafts, HD dogbones, aluminum diff cups, stronger shimmed spider and side gears, dual disc brakes, stiff black basher springs, 7075 chassis components, 17mm hexes... The drivetrain is very solid, easy to work on, and the X SS offers adjustability that even most "racings" MT's don't. It's the best Savage yet.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:33 PM
zomg

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The SS comes with a .28 engine, polished tuned pipe, lightweight pin tires, steel spur and vented clutch bell, HD cups, HD diff shafts, HD dogbones, aluminum diff cups, stronger shimmed spider and side gears, dual disc brakes, stiff black basher springs, 7075 chassis components, 17mm hexes... The drivetrain is very solid, easy to work on, and the X SS offers adjustability that even most "racings" MT's don't. It's the best Savage yet.
are you listing the things that were added to Savage X SS that Savage X doesn't have or what?
also, will hop-ups, namely Integy stuff that's made for Savage X, fit on Savage X SS?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Bria1

Please don't weaken a Savage XSS by putting Integy stuff on it.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
zomg

how come? what's wrong with Integy hop-ups?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: zomg

are you listing the things that were added to Savage X SS that Savage X doesn't have or what?
also, will hop-ups, namely Integy stuff that's made for Savage X, fit on Savage X SS?
The normal X has the 17mm hexes and they are now including the aluminum diff cups, but the cups first appeared in the X SS. All of the other stuff is exclusive to the SS kits.

edit: ...and the springs. The black springs come on the normal X and they came on the older Savage LE like I have. I only mentioned them because he said he was going to add a bunch of weight to the truck. The stiffer springs will help with his intentions, where the others mentioned come softly sprung from the factory.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Bria1

They're made for show, not durability.

ORIGINAL: zomg

how come? what's wrong with Integy hop-ups?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM
duckedup

Butter soft aluminum.....

This was done with the very tip of needle nose pliers and almost no effort.... (Integy MGT bumper skid)

waste of $$$ if you plan on running the truck..... IMO of course
Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
zomg

OK, scratch Integy then. I was only looking at them because they offer a good selection of hop-ups. what other options do I have then?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM
duckedup

There's an s-load of quality hop-ups out there for Savages, just Google Savage hop-ups..

You'll get better help and find tons of info up top in the HPI MT forum, there's the Savage Central site too..