Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Savage or Tmaxx the LHS told me the .21 motor was junk

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage or Tmaxx the LHS told me the .21 motor was junk

Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 PM
mkinla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage or Tmaxx the LHS told me the .21 motor was junk

From what I researched here and online, it seems the Savage is pretty awesome truck, except that the motor is lacking.

So am I suppost to get the Savage ~ $400 and then drop another $140 for and OFNA 21 8 Port motor?

At first glance the Tmaxx seems to be the better value, but I've Traxxas cars before and their motors aren't so hot either.

What makes the most sense.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-12-2003, 11:10 PM
LandShark

Savage's engine is not powerful but it is not a junk.

my savage engine runs great. it never gives me a real problem.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:33 PM
mkinla

Default Thanks

Yeah I also read on the page here that some guys had his 21 ported and polished and now it screams.

I think I'm going to get the Savage, but do I dare the weather here in L.A.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY LHS THAT HAVE THE SAVAGES INSTOCK, AND THEY AREN'T OPPINIONATED NAZIS LET ME KNOW.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 02-13-2003, 12:47 AM
bionictony-RCU

vip hobbies in walnut california.. grand ave and temple ave. $399 and in stock
Old 02-13-2003, 12:47 AM
Alteramod

Ok, I dont want to repeat what landshark said so..... ill just add one thing......

The guy at the LHS that told you the motor was junk must not ever used it. It might not have as much power as you think a .21 should have but it has more power than what the t-maxx .15 would put out. (correct me if im wrong please)
Old 02-13-2003, 01:06 AM
creeping death

you are correct...the tmaxx 2.5 is 1.3 hp...the savage.21 is 1.7 hp...the savage is 50% heavier.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:21 AM
pirate man

what are t-max and savage weight in pounds (each).

cowboysfan
Old 02-13-2003, 01:46 AM
Dlock

Here are some T-Maxx and Savage .21 stats, taken from the April 2003 issue of Radio Control Nitro Magazine. For anyone interested in comparing these two trucks I would highly recomend reading this issue. They break down each truck and compare them to each other. For example they do a drag race, hill climb, jumping, race track, tug of war, etc. with each truck. It's a great article and will give you some good info on each truck. Now to the stats:

S=Savage .21 T=T-Maxx 2.5

Top Speed:
S=32mph
T=40mph

Engine Size:
S=.21ci(3.5cc)
T=.15ci(2.5cc)

Width:
S=16.79in
T=16.25in

Wheelbase:
S=13.375in
T=12in

Weight:
S=15.5lb
T=9.06lb

Suspension Travel:
S=5in
T=5.1in

These are just a few of the stats they give. If you want to know anything else let me know and I will do the best I can with what I get from the article.

I have a T-Maxx and love it!!! I would just like to say that I do not know which one of these trucks is better. The T-Maxx just better wuited my situation. I really don't think you can go wrong with either truck, they are both great, and will give you your money's worth. Good luck deciding.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Epik

Mkinla:
In response as to where to go to get info on Mt's you can go to "Robin's Hobbies" over in Glendale. They offer the Titan, Savage, and Tmaxx there. The guys can tell you the pro's and con's about those MT's. One of my favorite LHS to go to. They'll even tune up your engine for you there. You can also try "Gizmo's" over in Burbank for a second opinion. ONce you decide on what MT to get I suggest you run it at KZ Speedway over in Sun Valley. They have a real nice track and lots of friendly staff that can help you out. As far as the engine goes I'm satisfied with the .21 and have not had any problems with it.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:09 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yeah the savage might be bigger but its also HELLA HEAVY!

They have a "demo" model just sitting there at my LHS. ITs missing some stuff and still that sucker is heavy!

I think the first thing I'd do is put heavier #wt fluid in those shocks. They seem really SOFT!

But heck I dont know how much power the .21 and the .15 put out so it wouldnt be fair to compare..
IF they put out the SAME power per Cubic inch..
Heres the power ratio:

S= 4.4 lb/CC
T= 3.6 lb/CC

The Tmaxx seems to have an advantage but again, THIS IS NOT A FAIR COMPARISON. It does indicate why the savage might have a lower top speed and possibly a weakER feeling motor.

-ram
Old 02-13-2003, 02:33 AM
LooneyTunes

I don't know what planet Radio Control Nitro Magazine lives on, but my Savage weighs in at just a hair over 12 pounds. Minus fuel. I think that is a missprint.

LT
Old 02-13-2003, 02:57 AM
mkinla

Default Well I caved I got the Savage

I just got home with the new Savage, damn it's still in the box.

The biggest reason I chose the Savage was I like the suspension set up more than the Tmaxx, also I love to modify stuff, I expect I'll see a OFNA 21 8 Port motor in it real soon.

I'll keep you guys posted now to get into the garage and run some gas thru it.

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR TIPS.

Mark
Old 02-13-2003, 05:27 AM
IDestroyYourMax

Default The 21BB isnt junk

what the 'junk feeling' is about that motor is not the motor...
It is the restrictive air filter that make's the mill feel like it's at a 'lack' for power.....If you do not upgrade any thing on a Savage at least change that air filter so the stock mill can breath and perform properly, you will also find that the 'stock' shift setting dosnt seem like it's in 1st gear for ever.......

Also dont take all that is writen in a shoot out to heart with any head to head match up.......You will get a biased openion

For instance the shoot out between the T-Maxx and the Savage top speed for the Maxx 40 mph stock? Top speed for the Savage 32? Sounds strange to me because out of the box after break in I have seen 3 races with 3 different pairs of Trucks and in every race at the start of 2nd gear the Savage pulled away from the Maxx.......Go figure

Also in a shoot out aginst an ek4 the ek was 37mph but the T-Maxx was 28mph?.......

Thats a 12mph difference between Maxx to Maxx shoot out to shoot out........
Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Unstable

if you look at that magazine article..

for the tug of war they had the trucks on loose dirt/sand and declared it a tie.... i wonder what it would be if you swapped out the tires from the t-maxx and savage... because if you look at the maxx tires they are closer to paddles, better for sand, then the savage. I wonder what it would do on pavment, hardpack dirt, and other surfaces.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:59 PM
DFF

Default WRONG WEIGHT FOR THE SAV

Jizz, I'll say it again:

savage is NOT 15.5 pounds

Where did you get this number ?

So, the weight to power ratio is:

Savage: 11.54 / 1.7 = 6.79 lb / hp
T-Maxx: 9.06 / 1.33 = 6.81 lb /hp

IT MEANS THAT SAVAGE AND NEW T-MAXX ARE OF VERY SIMILAR WEIGHT TO POWER RATIO BOX STOCK.

My (nearly) stock Savage: 5.240 kg is 11.54 lbs

And BTW, I could as well argue with the weight of the T-Maxx. It's 8.940 lb without batteries. Add .21 lb if you really want to have the right weight i.e. 9.15 lbs

Read this thread for the full story (might need to log to MaxxTraxx to see it)

http://pub121.ezboard.com/fmaxximumt...cID=6545.topic

And for the 1.7 hp for the Savage, well, since nobody did dynoed it, I could argue too. Let's only say that the .21BB is not only a rebadged P4, it's way better than that. It's a HIGHLY MODIFIED P4
Proof are here with a side / side pics comparison:

http://community.webshots.com/album/57332810yLbPqO

So, to me, since the P4 was dynoed and given by Ofna for 1.7, I would say the .21BB is closer to 1.8-2.0 hp than anything else (I'll just can't proove it, but nobody can show me either that the .21BB is 1.7 hp....

So, my guess is this:

Savage: 11.54 / 1.9 hp = 6.07 lb / hp
T-Maxx: 9.15 / 1.35 hp = 6.77 lb / hp

If you disagree with me, don't throw numbers without backing out them (I did show you proof...)

Not arguing, just etablishing numbers based on facts.

DFF
Old 02-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Dlock

I had originally posted that the Savage was 15.5lbs. I had gotten this out of a magazine where they did a head to head against T Maxx and the Savage. I am not arguing that the magazine is right, becasue from the pictures you posted it is obvious. I also did a little more research, and on various other sites it was said the Savage is about 12lbs. So I guess it was a misprint. Sorry was just trying to give out some information a person had requested. OH well. Mystery solved. I guess Professor Plum did kill the person in the library with the candlestick... hehe
Old 02-14-2003, 03:02 PM
DFF

Yes, you are right, it's a misprint in the RCCA mag...

But knowing that makes the Savage comes back in a Race with a T. It's not that heavy of a truck.

That's all I wanted to demonstrate.

BTW, I'll try to show you pics of my lightweight Savage with Bowties on it on my precision scale. You'll see that I can have it pretty close in weight to a Stock T-Maxx.

DFF
Old 02-15-2003, 06:48 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

That sure does change things!!
DAMN THESE TWO TRUCKS ARE CLOSE AS HELL!!!

I sure am happy I'm not making a decision!! I'll be so torn apart I wouldnt leave the LHS lol
-ram
Old 06-29-2003, 05:16 AM
Legendary

Default Great info!

Old 06-29-2003, 05:29 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Nice info, those weights were about what I expected. There's one thing about RTR's and that's they always come with such junky things such as weak motors, crappy radios, weak plastic parts- The T-Maxx is one of the few RTR's that is quite decent out of the box with a powerful motor and a neat ergonomic AM 3 channel radio.

I thought the Savage's 21BB motor was around 2.2hp, 1.7 is quite weak for a .21 (OFNA's Force .21 is about that), wonder how it'd run if I threw in one of my GS 21's if I got a roller Savage.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
neonspin

My savage weighed 12lbs when I weighed it. As for the stock motor I was a little disappointed with its performance. I own a couple of 1/8 buggies so I'm use to something that will move out fast. The savage was alot slower than what i'm use to. I put a XTM 247 engine in it,now that thing hauls ass. Boy what a differance it makes when you put a motor with a little power in it. I was wondering what this thing will do with one of those C-5 motors?
Old 06-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Fovezer

Suspension Travel:
S=5in
T=5.1in
The Savage's suspension is actually a little over 6 inches of travel.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:26 PM
remten2001

there 2 versions of the savage engine...The first batch of engine were the one wich were rated at 1.7 but the newest ones are the one that HIP claims are 2.3 HP.....

DFF knows about this also has he was a savage mod over at maxxtraxx...

The best mod one can make to the stock engine is cold air mod to the carb and new air filter...With this set up your savage will willy right off the bat...
Old 06-29-2003, 10:14 PM
BOWTIE1
My Feedback: (3)

yea from what i here the motor on the savage is junk u willl, need to get a picco .26 for it it rocks.....just my .02