Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Need Help Savage running alittle hot

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need Help Savage running alittle hot

Old 02-16-2003, 05:19 AM
mkinla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Savage running alittle hot

Broke my savage in over the week, ran about 6 -7 tanks of gas thru it.....

I start to run it 3/4 stop and go and my temperature reading swhere between 265 to 273. BTW I made sure my heat sensor was working correct by putting the wire in boiling water which is 212 and my sensor read 200 so I just need to add 12 to my reading, which means my temperature was actually 277 - 285.

I called HPI and they said to richen it up. Did that, the car cooled down alittle maybe back to 275 tops, but now my settings are like more than 1/2 a turn past the factory specs. Is that normal and should I consider spending 50 bucks for a better head, or just get a OFNA for $110? This sucks because I don't want to mess the motor up, but continuous 275 temparture is gonna kill my .21

I'd hate to replace the motor it's brand new and it does haul ass after it gets up to about 220 degrees.

Any suggesting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

While breaking it in....and even shortly afterward....you will experience higher temps as the piston/sleeve are still seating in.

Running it on the rich side will not hurt it.....as the lubrication is in the fuel....so running it rich just adds a little extra protection.

If your noticing the temps being higher with the body on....and you have not cut holes in the front windshield or side windows...you might want to consider doing that as the engine will run hotter due to the heat being trapped and not enough cool air getting to the cooling head.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:50 AM
LooneyTunes

I agree. Do what crash_me_over says.
If that does not help then it's time to start looking for air leaks. Replace the fuel tubing and check the tank for leaks. The primers on fuel tanks are notorious for leaks. Seal the carb body and the engine backplate. Check the needle O-rings. Etc....

LT
Old 02-16-2003, 06:45 AM
mkinla

You know what I noticed also that every time I stop the truck and I haven't added any fuel, so the cap is still on, that when I go to restart it there's air in the lines.

I guess I'll go get some hoses, and how do you check the primer pump for leaks?

Thanks by the way, everyone here has been great with there advice and suggestions.

Mark
Old 02-16-2003, 06:54 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

You can remove both fuel lines.....pinch the one that goes to the carb.....and try blowing into the one that goes to the exhaust. If you can hear / feel air escaping from the tank then you know you have an air leak. It could be the primer button...or the lid...but in any case...you know that you need to fix it.....which ever it may be.