Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Cooling Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 AM
chunkysause7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Head

Which cooling head is better the Duratrax Aluminum Cooling Head or the Raze Nova Race Pro Cooling Head

Duratrax cooling head:
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPLX6&P=7[/link]

Nova cooling head:
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/DuraTrax-Warhead-EVO-Raze-Nova-Race-Pro-Cooling-Head_W0QQitemZ330104881268QQcategoryZ19168QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
chunkysause7

Default RE: Cooling Head

oh and this is for a duratrax warhead
Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Alteramod

Actually Im not sure which one would be better. The both look alright to me. I was never a fan in the alu ones though IDK why just never was.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
RLMHPI

I am not sure about the Duratrax but I gaurantee you will not be dissapointed with the Nova. Your temps will go down for sure. 7075 aluminum !!! Nova all the way!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
DaveG55

Why are you looking at cooling heads? Are you having overheating issues?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
chunkysause7

i jsut got my warhead, it was used so the fins on the head were bent,and that's why i'm trying to look for a replacement.

k i want to know what is the temperature i should be keeping the engine running before it overheats and damages the internal parts?? is it like 250 degrees??
Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Alteramod

250 is a good safe number. I usually for any engine try to keep it under 270. I havent had a temp gun lately though so I just use the spit test. Spit just a little bit on the glow plug and if it aggressively sizzles under 3 second then I say it to hot. I also go by smell, feel the head for a second, blah blah blah.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:44 AM
DaveG55

My suggestion to you would be to just get a stock head then. Unless you are looking for a change in how the engine looks, the stock cooloing head will work fine. Lots of people think that the way to fix an overheating problem is to change heads but all that does is to mask an underlying problem. In other words ot treats a symptom, not a problem. You can probably find a stock head on e-bay for not a lot of money.
As for temps, I agree that taking the engines temp all the time is kind of pointless. Tuning for performance rather than trying to hit a certain temp is a far better way to tune.
If you're just courious then your engine needs to always be run above 200 degrees and never over 300 degrees with the best operating range between about 220 - 270 degrees. Keep in mind that every engine is different and operating temps will differ on the same engine depending on ambiant temps, tuning, humidity, how hard the engine is working, weather there are cooling holes in the body, etc, etc, etc.