Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Break in Procedure

Old 02-18-2003, 10:26 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in Procedure

A lot of people seem to have questions about the break in procedure..

Well heres my attempt to answer the most common questions:

Breaking the engine in is a procedure used to "smooth" out the engine. Any engine, no matter how perfectly machines has flaws.. of course these are very small flaws.. but they are sort of corrected the first few times you run your engine.. the piston head pretty much wears out the exposed parts of the sleeve and makes a "custom" fit. No 2 broken-in engines are the same.. the characteristic break in shape is unique to each engine.
This process is important because how you run your engine during this time decides how it wears! Dont get me wrong.. this doesnt mean you can revv the hell out of it and expect it last 5 years just because you did the "break-in" correctly.

WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY to break in an engine? I DONT KNOW! Someone please post about this. What I do is start the engine for the first time leaving the carb Rich/factory setting.
After first tank.. MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS AT THE BOTTOM DEAD CENTER. This is very important! IF you dont, as the sleeve cools, it may sieze up on the piston and deform it. (small but significant).
Depending on what kind of an engine it is, I would start running it around SLOWLY, leaning out by 1/8 turn each time and making sure temperature does not exceed 230.

Its hard to keep your thumb half way down isnt it? Tempted to goo all out? Well heres what I do. I set my MAX EPA setting on my remote to 45%. This way I cannot give it more throttle even if I try!

Changing fuel: You do NOT have to repeat this whole process if you change fuel. Just make sure 1) Your glow plug is the right kind. More nitro= cooler plug, Less nitro= hotter plug.
Make sure you check the temperature! You will NEED TO CHANGE SETTINGS if you change fuel.

Changin pipes: Pipes are an essential part of the engine's intake system. Yes intake.. They actually help "suck" in fuel. So a different pipe can change your engines fuel settings. Changing your pipe will also require a change to your LSN and HSN settings. Nothing drastic, but chances are you will be able to lean it some more

Thats it for now. I'll edit this again if I find more juicy info on this topic! I hope it helps

NOTE: I am by no means an RC know-it-all guru.. In fact I'm fairly new. If there are ANY MISTAKES in the text above, please make a post and let us know that its wrong!!

-ram
Old 02-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Alteramod

sheesh thats alot to type..... (i know my post is dumb but dont say anything )
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

being able to type close to 100 WPM helps

BTW.. quick question.. what kind of engine generally lasts the longes? ABC? or AAC?

IS there a particular way to build an engine so you get the "longest life" OR "best performance" ? Just wondering.
-ram
Old 02-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Alteramod

I dont know much about any of that but my guess would be ABC engines..... like i said i have no clue........