Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Proposed engines for the Savage21

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Proposed engines for the Savage21

Old 02-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Mostage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed engines for the Savage21

Hey!

I was checking out some different engines and was wondering what everyone's take on using certain ones in the Savage21 would be. Let me know, too, if you know specs of a certain engine listed.

Trinity Sirio SP21BRPRO (2.8hp 42,000RPM) This one lookes to me like you'd have to install a pull start on.

Thunder Tiger Pro-70BX (specs unknown)

O.S. .21 RZ-V01B (2.3hp 40,000RPM Max) Needs pull start

Ofna Delta Force P8 (2.3hp 41,000 RPM Max) Looks to me like a pull start would mount to this engine.(please see attached pic)

Any other High RPM, High HP (2.3+) engines that anyone knows of else wise?

I noticed some high RPM engines that are listed for on-road. Why would it not be recommended for use off-road? I'm new in the sport and don't know much about the design of nitro engines.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56734_28080.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	35575  
Old 02-20-2003, 01:24 PM
LooneyTunes

I can add a some more to your list:
1. Ofna Hyper .21 8 port, 2.5HP, 38K RPM
2. Ofna Picco .26, 2.7HP, 37K RPM
3. RB Concepts S7/WS7
4. RB Concepts C5

All the engines you listed are bump start engines. And therefore are not suitable for the Savage. You cannot just strap on a pull start. It's not that easy.
The two Ofnas I listed come in a pull start version. The RBs have a pull start conversion available.
The reason why some engines are listed as on-road is because they are designed for high RPMs. While buggy engines have high torque on the bottom end. In offroad vehicles, like the Savage, you want a lot of bottom end torque. High revving on-road engines do not have that. They are designed for all out speed. Unfortunately high bottom end torque and high revving are qualities that are mutually exclusive. You cannot have both in one engine. Anyway. For the Savage you want a torquer not a revver.

LT
Old 02-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Mostage

Cool, man. I understand about the torque vs. RPM thing pretty much...it makes sense.

Now, what do you mean bump start? Is that where you have ring protruding through the bottom of the chassis and you use a stand/starter to start it? You know, with the 540 motors and using the 6-cell packs.

That Ofna Picco looks Bad Butt! I imagine it'll have buttloads of torque. Now, for speed issues, using stock gearing and going with one of the popular engines like Force .25 and Hyper .21 you'd pick up some anyhow because there's about 7k more RPM's than the stock 21BB. Then after installing say a 16T or 17T (heck if it can fit, an 18T!!!) there should be unreal top speed!!! The .26 should have enogh power to handle them.

I say someone post about a Wasp .26 by Team Orion. I really haven't seen anything on their site about it. Anyone else know more about it?
Old 02-20-2003, 06:27 PM
LooneyTunes

You are correct about the bump start. The flywheel hangs out the bottom thru a slot in the chassis. To start the motor you 'bump' it with the rubber wheel on the starter.

I think the Orion Wasp .26 is identical to the Ofna .26. They are both made by Picco. I just like the Ofna colors better.

LT
Old 02-20-2003, 10:11 PM
DFF

If you had a RB WS7, i think you would rephrase this:

"Unfortunately high bottom end torque and high revving are qualities that are mutually exclusive. You cannot have both in one engine"

BTW, proud owner of a Savage C5...

My 0.02 Euro.

DFF
Old 02-21-2003, 03:19 AM
Mostage

DFF.

OK. I checked out RB Concepts site to see the specs on their engines, and they have reasons not to publish the RPM's and HP. Really makes no sense to me, however I understand that certain conditions will affect those respective specs. i.e. altitude, mixture, fuel, etc.

Anyhow, how would you compare one of these engines...in your case the C5...with say the Force .25 or Hyper .21 in performance in a Savage? Have you competed against one with the other powerplants? What would you say your top speed is? Do you pull wheelies very often due to the torque?

Let me know. And if anyone's measured one or ANY of the engines listed above, what where the RPM findings or HP findings?

Thanks again. I'm in pursuit of the ultimate Savage21 power plant to create the ultimate MT! Not that I've got the cash to go all out like some, but it'll take time.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:54 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Wow this is quite interesting.

First off I would toss the idea of "installing" a pull start on one of these babies..
Its like trying to install a cheap $50 alarm system on a Rolls Royce.. hehe

If your gonna go this route.. I suggest you go ahead and get a starter box/bump start.

Also, you gotta realize your comparing engines from different price franges.. from ~180 all the way to ~325. And thats a conservative estimate.

This is how I buy stuff.. I list the goodies.. and put a price on it.. and come up with a list.

Then compare it side by side and make a selection.

I choose to buy a Rossi Black Magic for my buggy almost purely out of passion for an ass kicking italian motor! lol.
The name "Black Magic" said "Buy me!" lol

According to a magazine.. the Sirio motor your talking about was "The motor with the Highest HP of ANY motor we have every put on a dyno". I dont know which magazine but I will tell you that its one of the top ones.. credible source indeed

C5 on a Savage? DFF explain please!! I would love to see that in action ! So how do you like it? Does it drive like a Norwood Ferrari F-50 rigged with quad sequential turbos and a 100 shot NOS? lol

-ram
Old 02-21-2003, 01:23 PM
LooneyTunes

Unfortunately there is no way to bump start a motor on a Savage. We are talking about a Savage. Aren't we? At the moment the only starting option for a Savage is a pull start. I have seen a couple of contraptions that are supposed to work on regular engines. But for now I am skeptical.

DFF, I agree. The RB engines are a rare breed. The C5 is a monster. The engine that piqued my interest is that new .26 Picco. From the specs Ofna published, it should be another monster. I think I will give it a try.

LT