Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage Dino, weight???

Old 02-20-2003, 03:09 AM
aip_tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage Dino, weight???

Does anyone know what hp the savage 21 produces (AT WHAT RPM), and how heavy the savage is???
Old 02-20-2003, 05:31 AM
bueno_z

HPI claims that the motor puts out 2.5 Hp. However, Extreme racing claims that the real horse power is somewhere around 1.7 Hp.

As to the rpms' the horse power is produced at I am not to sure.

I would believe the 1.7 Hp. More than the claimed 2.5 Hp. This is because The OFNA FORCE .25 which is a bored out .21 claims 2.5Hp. at I think 28,000 rpm.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:38 AM
aip_tuner

yeah that is what i read and didnt think that it would be posible from that engine. but hey who am I
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 AM
bueno_z

Do you have a SAVAGE?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:45 AM
aip_tuner

no i dont but my budy just got one bout a month and 1/2 ago and was wondering on the hp and wheight of it, I have a new T-maxx that i just bought. but i will be getting a savage in a month or so!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 AM
bueno_z

Have you, and your friend raced each other on a track? How do you like the T-maxx's handling?

I have a SAVAGE.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:08 AM
aip_tuner

Default yeah!!

yeah we have raced Im rather new the the hobbie so, but handleing wise the savage is way better specially on jumps, we went out to the bmx track and the savage was killin me jumpin over 6 ft tall and bought 8 ft to 10 ft long table tops and landing it like it wasent there, but i would catch up in the straight aways hehe, but yeah over all the handeling of the savage is better i think, to get handelin like that on a T-maxx would (I think) requier some better suspension. we also took them to Rc raceway the new track in okc whick is the nations largest indoor track, and ofcourse i was gettin my but stomped there to !!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:15 AM
aip_tuner

Default oops!

oops didnt mean to hit that buttin! anyway I think if the savage had bit of a stronger engine in or a shorter stroke engine to get the rpm's up faster it would be a way better truck. I havent got my T-maxx tunned up right just yet and i would run away from the savage in a drag race, Dont get me wrong the BB .21 of the savage is a strong engine tourqey as heck, but think it needs a little faster stroke to it.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:48 PM
bueno_z

An indoor track that sounds awesome! All I have here is snow at the moment. I take the truck out a couple of times but The filter starts to get iced up after a while.

I am surprised as to how many people say that the T-MAXX is not that good of a jumper compared to the SAVAGE.

The SAVAGE does have a lower centre of gravity, this is probably the reason for its jumping capabilities.

I can not wait for spring to come, so I can race some guys in a near by town.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Bluehydro8

I wouldn't be so sure you guys; I have seen stock savages pop wheelies. I do believe the claim of the 2.5 horses. The only thing is that you have to tune the truck better and race in a high oxygen place. My engine was really powerful but I decided to go with even more power so I installed the XTM .24/7
Old 02-20-2003, 05:05 PM
yunt2chat

The only reason I see that people compare the savage to the TMAXX is that the TMAXX is its ony compitition. The 2 should not be compared as the savage is a 1/8 scale which is WIDER and LONGER so it should be more STABLE. But when you put durabilty in the picture, the TMAXX has already proven itself cause its been out several years now. Wait a few years and see if the savage will be as durable. Don't get me wrong, I like the savage alot but they can't be compared. Note ( I have a 2.5 TMAXX and just got a good deal on a used megaforce which I have only ran about 15 minutes so far. It faster than I predicted for a 15 engine to. and not very wide so I don't think it will be to stable either.) Just another opinion.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:27 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I agree.. they are not fair game to be compared..
Its like comparing a Mazda RX7 to a Chevy Impala SS if you will

I have heard that savage can pop wheelies as well. I believe its all in the tuning and other adjustments. The engine is actually pretty good, but if it were to die, I'd put in something more powerful. Maybe even a high RPM Buggy engine might work well! That way you can get some extra 5 MPH out of the top end!

-ram
Old 02-20-2003, 07:04 PM
aip_tuner

Default weight?

Well what does the chabage weigh? Sorry had to do that, thats how my 4 yr old son says it!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:21 PM
DFF

Jizz, I'll say it again:

My (nearly) stock Savage: 5.240 kg is 11.54 lbs

And for the 1.7 hp for the Savage, well, since nobody did dynoed it, let's only say that the .21BB is not only a rebadged P4, it's way better than that. It's a HIGHLY MODIFIED P4
Proof are here with a side / side pics comparison:

http://community.webshots.com/album/57332810yLbPqO

So, to me, since the P4 was dynoed and given by Ofna for 1.7, I would say the .21BB is closer to 1.8-2.0 hp than anything else (I'll just can't proove it, but nobody can show me either that the .21BB is 1.7 hp....

Savage: 11.54 / 1.9 hp = 6.07 lb / hp
T-Maxx: 9.15 / 1.35 hp = 6.77 lb / hp

DFF
Old 02-21-2003, 12:36 AM
gidzila

This is in reply to the durability issues between the Savage and the TMaxx. I actually own both (as well as an EK4 and the Titan), and i can say that out of the box, i reckon the Savage is a lot more durable than the Tmaxx. I broke my maxx within a week of getting it (snapped the front bulkhead and skidplate) landing wrong, but i've done quite a few bad landings on the Savage and so far i haven't had to replace a single thing on it. I love my savage 'cuz it jumps WAY better than the Maxx ever did out of the box (although now my Maxx jumps pretty well cuz i tricked it out with a lotta suspension mods).
Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 AM
yunt2chat

Gidzila, You don't understand, Now listen. I said the tmaxx is 1/10 scale and the savage is 1/8 scale so naturaly the savage is more stable cause its WIDER and LONGER so it won't flip like the savage. I bet if you rolled the savage as often as you did the tmaxx you would see durabilty. I have a maxx and run on pavement a lot. I have only broke the rear body post and I have rolled the thing probably 25 times on asphalt. and the I had the body of or that would have not broke so its not the tmaxx it was me.Thank You and the 2 trucks can't be compared
Old 02-21-2003, 01:40 AM
bueno_z

That is quite right the SAVAGE is a bigger, and more durable truck, because of its 1/8 size. If you want to see just how durable it is down load the SAVAGE video from fire fox. This will give you ann idea of what the SAVAGE can handle.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:33 AM
aip_tuner

Default and the point is???

well that is nice to know that they are 2 different scale trucks but they will be raced (allready are) in the same class and the savage is the only real compatition to the T-maxx.

So offcourse everyone is going to compare them.

Now ont he durability part i cant say much about that only that my buddy has had his savage for 3 weeks longer than me and only has broken a dogbone, he also hit a mailbox post and full speed and it only cracked his front bumper, I have only broke my rear skid plat but that was becouse i landed a jump wrong.

Oh and i take that back on the jumps it was landing 22 ft from a 6ft table top!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:03 PM
bueno_z

Impressive!
This hobby is crazy! I used to have an old school electric Ninja four wheel drive buggy from Tamiya. Tamiya calls it the, "Manta Ray" now. I had that in 1989, it was fun.
When I got in to Nitro, Man I can not explain the addiction!
My wife thinks that I am crazy!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Bluehydro8

yunt2chat,
I think you need to relax guy, lay off Gidzila. The truth is that they are about the same size. I have both of them. I have put my savage through a lot more than I have my t-maxx and the t-has broken 2 skid plates 3 bumpers and that little black thing on the engine heat sink. My savage is a trashed body and a lot of scrapes but only one stock upright has been broken. I haven’t even needed to tighten the tranny screw in mine. Just imagine this. If that .21BB is fast on the savage that weighs 12 lbs, imagine strapping that same .21BB in a .21 conversion t-maxx. The t-maxx would fly. One last thing. The suspension arms on the t-maxx can be bent with your fingers and the single on the savage can't. I also know what does not bend will break but believe me, I trashed my savage in bellow 0' temperatures and the parts have not broken. Cold makes things brittle but I think that the savage does not care. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:18 PM
aip_tuner

That is true the savage is a way stronger truck, the only way to get the t-maxx that strong is to upgrade the suspension and what not. I will have some video in a few days of my t-maxx and budys savage going at it at the bmx track again. Well see who comes out broke hehehe, prob me
Old 02-21-2003, 05:29 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

no the savage is not the only competition to the t-maxx. I think people need to remind themselves that the thier is more then just the savage and the t-maxx.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:32 PM
aip_tuner

well then what can compete with them out of the box?????
Old 02-21-2003, 10:08 PM
bueno_z

Keep checking that tranny screw once in a while man because it does have a tendency to back out. When you are wondering why the truck is not shifting into second gear, and it does not roll backwards then you know that the set screw has backed out.

I have driven my SAVAGE in negative 25 below celcius, and crashed it too. Parts are hard to break.

The only things I have broken on it is the driver side front shock, and a busted up gas tank in the same crash.

I ran the truck at full speed, and hit a pipe sticking straight out of a bunch of bleachers.

As for that .21 conversion in a T_MAXX I would like to know how much it would cost in total.

As for my SAVAGE I am going to put either the OFNA FORCE .25 in it, or the OFNA HYPER 8 port .21.

Imagine what that would do!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:11 PM
bueno_z

Oh, I did not realize that there are other trucks out there? Other than the SAVAGE, or T_MAXX.

Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.