Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM
jrw874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT Problem

Ok, i just got my MGT and started the break in process, well i got to the fourth take and just as it ran out of fuel i heard a loud whine noise come from the truck. Well when i fueled it up again it wouldnt move. Well i was able to narrow it down to the pinion gear, it stripped about three or four teeth. My question is why would it do this during break in?? I was not running it hard, just like the instructions said too. Well i bought the new gear but im having hell getting the set screw out of the rear cup drive ( i think thats what its called) so i can break the transmission down to replace it. Any advice on how to prevent this in future when i can finally get fixed. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: MGT Problem

Ok wat gears did u strip? the one on the motor or the one coming form the tranny?

If its the tranny, u don't need to take it apart to take the gears off.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
jrw874

its a large gear inside the black plastic case, i was able to get it apart slightly to see inside the case and saw the teeth missing. I believe its the transmission.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Bria1

Does it look like the gear below? If it does, I'd contact Associated about it. If they tell you they've never heard of that happening, they're lying because I called them twice about it and I know others have also. I think mine was caused by the steel pinion gear that drives the 2-speed gears not having the teeth cut properly. I switched to the plastic gear that the original MGT (.21 version) used and haven't had one strip out since.
As for getting the set screw out of the drive cup, they use red loctite on them, so you'll probably have to heat the set screw to loosen the loctite. A soldering iron works good for that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20517.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	678425  
Old 05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
steven16

lol bria1 that 2 gear was bald what did you do?!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Bria1

It let go during a qualifier, had to finish the qualifier [8D]. I have another one just like it from before I switched to the plastic gear. No problem since. If the teeth aren't made right on the steel gear, the plastic gear doesn't stand a chance of surviving.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
jrw874

OK, i thinks its that one, its hard to tell. Im still trying to get the ball cup off. I dont have access to a sodering iron right now but ill give it a try. Im only able to see through the side of the case after i took the screws out. But once i get these replaced is there something i need to do to keep this from happening again? This is odd being brand new, i guess.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:44 PM
OneMoreSuicide

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

Ok wat gears did u strip? the one on the motor or the one coming form the tranny?

If its the tranny, u don't need to take it apart to take the gears off.
This is his brother and I was looking at it the day it happened... its the 2-speed pinion gear set... the larger of the 2 speed gears has 2 teeth in the tranny.. i will get a picture of the gears as soon as i can
Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the 2 speed pinion gear. I had the same thing happen to mine after about 1 gallon of fuel. It ripped all of the teeth off of mine though. Unfortunately, AE doesnt want to admit that something was wrong with some of the models, as I tried to tell them about it and get them to replace it, but they denied it. And unfortunately, as I said, AE probably wont replace it. It did this to me about 2 more time for a total of three. After the third time I decided to buy a new tranny. The one i recieved came with plastic gears, and I have never stripped anything but a spur gear on it since.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
jrw874

so how did u get one with all plastic gears? and how much was it?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Evader ---> MGT

It's about $15.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFTY5&P=Z
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Bria1

Yep, just use the gears that come in the link that Evader--->MGT posted instead of using the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDF2&P=PU]steel 2-speed pinion[/link].
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
jrw874

ok thanks, do u think i had my slipper clutch too tight, and this is what caused this? I never checked the slipper clutch before i ran it. silly me i guess thinking it would have been set already. If so what should i reset it too or how tight should i have it?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Bria1

If you have the stock slipper, tighten it all the way and then back it off 1/8th turn. Any looser and you'll melt your spur. AE states to not run any looser than 1/4 turn from tight, but from my experience that is too loose for this truck. It's possible if the slipper was tightened all the way it could have caused it, but more than likely it was that steel 2-speed pinion that took it out.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Alteramod

Yeah I have had that happen to me within my first gallon and come to think of it I did put in the plastic gears when I fixed it. I ordered a new tranny though cause of my last mishap which destroyed the rear half tranny case and a few steal gears in there lol. I have put the foc in the new one and it seems to be much more solid now.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
jrw874

Ok, well i changed one of the pinion gears, it was the largest one on the shaft. In the pic above from bria1 its the middle one. Sorry im not sure what its called. Anyway i changed it and i tightened the slipper clutch then back it off about a 1/4. well it ran great for the first tank. and once it ran ot of fuel it did it again!!!!?????. As it ran out of fuel it made a loud whine (im guessing the gear being stripped.) It did this the first time also, when it ran out of fuel the gears stripped. Anyway when i chanded the gear out i was unable to change out the other smaller pinion gear so i had to use the metal one. The plastic gear that came with it would not fit properly and the tranny case would not go back together, so i decided to use the orginal metal (mistake). anyone have an idea what maybe causing this? do i need to get a new tranny? i guessing i just got a bad apple, everyone ive talked to hasnt had any probs with the tranny.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
MrN8

Definitely contact Associated about this problem. It's happened twice already, it will happen again.

Does your engine rev up really fast right before it's running out of fuel? Sounds to me like part of your problem is that your LSN is too rich. The factory settings on the LSN are very rich, and on both of my 4.6 engines, I've got then leaned out at least 1/2 turn.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Bria1

To use the plastic gear, you have to remove the spacer under the steel gear and then trim a small amount off the plastic gear. If I remember correctly it was the side opposite of the side where the pin goes. You can measure the steel gear and spacer together to see how thick the plastic gear needs to be. Another thought is maybe the case isn't molded properly and it doesn't have the correct gear mesh. Have you contacted Associated about it?

ORIGINAL: jrw874

Ok, well i changed one of the pinion gears, it was the largest one on the shaft. In the pic above from bria1 its the middle one. Sorry im not sure what its called. Anyway i changed it and i tightened the slipper clutch then back it off about a 1/4. well it ran great for the first tank. and once it ran ot of fuel it did it again!!!!?????. As it ran out of fuel it made a loud whine (im guessing the gear being stripped.) It did this the first time also, when it ran out of fuel the gears stripped. Anyway when i chanded the gear out i was unable to change out the other smaller pinion gear so i had to use the metal one. The plastic gear that came with it would not fit properly and the tranny case would not go back together, so i decided to use the orginal metal (mistake). anyone have an idea what maybe causing this? do i need to get a new tranny? i guessing i just got a bad apple, everyone ive talked to hasnt had any probs with the tranny.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 AM
OneMoreSuicide

i have become REAL familiar with the mgt tranny and I'm gonna be looking at it... I think its the poorly molded case but im gonna try the plastic gears on it and if we get stripped again im gonna suggest he get a new tranny case seeing as a new case is only 13 bucks... any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 AM
jrw874

yeah, i called AE the other day and spoke with a guy in the warranty dept, all he could tell me is to send it to them and they will take a look at it for me. He had no real answer and said that the tranny is usually pretty good. So the case could me molded wrong or something? It looked right i guess, maybe something small. Well thanks for the input, i should be getting the new gears installed once again in a few days, if that doesnt work i guess a new tranny will be in order.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
OneMoreSuicide

ORIGINAL: jrw874

...So the case could me molded wrong or something?...
quote bump
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
jrw874

thnx for all your help onemoresuicide and everyone else, i think my prob might be solved. New plastic gear has been installed, woo hoo!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
jrw874

NOPE!........its done it again for the third time!!! Stripped the 1st gear in the tranny. I just dont know about this thing? I guess its gonna take a new tranny. I replaced the 1st gear twice and the metal pinion gear to a plastic one. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Im just disgusted by this truck right now, i cant figure out what the deal is.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 PM
scottywilkes

maybe the case has warped somehow, im still runnin the metal pinion and only stripped 1 gear, but that was from landing WOT
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Bria1

Wow! That's terrible. I've never stripped 1st gear, only 2nd. And that didn't happen until I put the LRP .28 spec 3 in it. There must be something wrong with the trans case. You may need to get [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFUA8&P=Z]this[/link], or just send the darn thing to AE so they can see what is wrong with it and fix it for ya.