Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Recommended Nitro Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
aer-wubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Nitro Fuel

What do you guys (overall) think is the best fuel? My LHS stocks O Donnel, Trinity Monster Horsepower, and Wildcat (their 2 & 4 Cycle type) fuel. So basically, I have to choose between the 3. I'm looking for 20%, and this is going to be used in a Axial .28.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM
jonnymac

Default RE: Recommended Nitro Fuel

I would go with O'donnells. Just my opinion
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
aer-wubby

I was leaning towards the O' Donnel, too. What's a good oil content for just bashing at a BMX track?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8-12% is usually ideal
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 PM
aer-wubby

I've heard some bad things about O'Donnell R2R fuel, but do you think the Racing Fuel will do good? A lot of fuels have more than 12% of oil so I don't know which to go with.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

I use the O'Donnell 20% racing fuel..
Old 05-16-2007, 01:18 AM
ttoks

saying an engine needs a certain amount of oil in complete bs, it depends a lot on the quality of the oil, if you went to the doctor and said, 'i wanna live till i'm 90' and he told you "eat 2 pounds of food every day, doesn't matter weather thats salad or deep fried chicken as long as you eat 2 pounds a day" you'd be running out of there fast, if i remember correctly O'Donnell use 100% caster oil (please correct me if i'm wrong here), and they use good quality stuff, thats how they get so low oil content in there fuel, a lot of fuels use synthetic oil because it's cheaper but it's also not as good at high temperates as caster oil (caster oil doesn't actually burn until 800 degrees F) so they need to use more oil.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Sidewinder %25 with %14 oil content.. Some people say that's too high, but I think that's only theory. I've run Tornado, Jet, and now Sidewinder, which I've run in four trucks - and I've been very very happy with it. However, of the three trucks I'm currently running, none has two gallons through it yet(well, the Lightning GT had maybe a gallon of JET through first, and since then maybe 3/4 gallon of Sidewinder, and the improvement with the Sidewinder is noticeable....)

My trucks seem to start well, idle well, tune well, and have good consistent performance(I also run OS A5's in all of them..) The only factor I can't attest to yet is longevity...

So I don't know. I'm starting to think fuel choice and opinions on it are just all over the place, so all I can say is what works well for me - so far - and that's Sidewinder with %14 oil. Period.

You also absolutely cannot trust your LHS on this - moreso than with any other RC product I find.. One guy will say fuel X is the worst junk there is, the next guy that it's the best... All total BS...

I only bash, BTW.. I guess racers want something different....
Old 05-16-2007, 05:20 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ttoks

saying an engine needs a certain amount of oil in complete bs, it depends a lot on the quality of the oil, if you went to the doctor and said, 'i wanna live till i'm 90' and he told you "eat 2 pounds of food every day, doesn't matter weather thats salad or deep fried chicken as long as you eat 2 pounds a day" you'd be running out of there fast, if i remember correctly O'Donnell use 100% caster oil (please correct me if i'm wrong here), and they use good quality stuff, thats how they get so low oil content in there fuel, a lot of fuels use synthetic oil because it's cheaper but it's also not as good at high temperates as caster oil (caster oil doesn't actually burn until 800 degrees F) so they need to use more oil.
I doubt the quality of oil between different reputable brands differs that much. Of course the synthetic/castor ratio will play a part - but in general it has been discovered that oil content above 12% doesnt provide any benefit whatsoever. There are numerous threads on the subject - i'm just telling you what i've read as well as what i've experienced when running fuels with different oil contents.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 AM
ttoks

believe me, quality makes a difference, lower quality oil will break down at a lower temp or inconstantly when compared to high quality stuff (synthetic isn't the best with high temps no matter how good the quality is), i prefer to run fuel that has 100% high quality caster oil and no synthetic oil at all (this is what my hobby shop mixes, they use 14% with 20% nitro), i'v had a go at mixing my own fuel, but it's just easier to buy it from the hobby shop.

also the amount of oil in fuel depends on how much nitro (with more nitro you use more fuel through the engine, so you need less oil in the fuel) and the size of the engine, surface area in the engine only go's up by 51% to the displacement so you need less oil in the fuel there as well, while a smaller engines need more oil.

O'Donnell is high quality fuel, i'v never used it because it's just about impossible to get anything fuel shipped here from the U.S but you hardly ever hear complaints about it.

also just as a side note, the less oil there is in your fuel, there more methanol there is, so the more power you can get out of a given amount of nitro.