Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

cant choose

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
xtr beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant choose

i need a truck that is easy to work on strong and fairly fast cant choose between lightning gt or associated monster gt
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM
xtr beast

Default RE: cant choose

or maybe a hpi savage x ss
Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a GST 7.7 or LST2 (Top of the line MT's)
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: xtr beast

i need a truck that is easy to work on strong and fairly fast cant choose between lightning gt or associated monster gt
Can't go wrong with either(given the LGT's price at Stormer of $299..) Depends on what you want to do. The LGT is basically just a truggy with huge tires - so, unfortunately thew word "lightweight" comes to mind when comparing to the MGt.. The MGT is more of a true monster-truck. I personally would probably take the MGT cuz it's a 2-speed and more monsterish, and should out-accelerate the single-speed LGT.. With the MGT you can do wheelies, etc.., while the LGT is defo a better jumper... Both are easy to work on..

Tough call. Both good trucks. Maybe be (much) more specific about where you want to drive, what you want to do, what if anything you'll be running against, are hop-ups important, etc....

Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
ttoks

if your looking for speed, durability and the ability to handle just about any jump you can throw at it, the savage 4.6 rtr will proberly be one of the best choices with the 3 speed transmission installed (will easily get to 40 mph), but the savage is not an easy truck to work on.

for handling, speed (45 mph out of the box for the 3.3) jumping ability, but wont be jumping off of houses, the traxxas revo is defiantly the best choice, for handling the revo is simply the best truck you can buy, it isn't as durable as the savage due to the savage being a lot beefier, but it is a hell of a lot more durable then the savage guys will let you believe you, it is also fairly easy to work.

then theres the losi truck's, the LST2 is one of the best trucks out there at the moment, not as many hop ups as there is with the revo or savvy, but it's an excellent truck, lighter then the savvy (just) fast on the track, but for track ability it is still over shadowed by the revo, looks fairly easy to work on to (i'v never owed one myself).
Old 05-16-2007, 05:29 PM
HerrSavage

I didn't see your second post up there, so therefore tried to keep my response limited to what you said in the first, but having seen the second, get the X SS. There's nothing tougher out there.... And it's NOT that hard to work on. Everybody says the LST2 is so much easier to work on than a Sav. Not true... You get used to working on anything.... And on the flip side, working on anything is a PIA at the beginning...
Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
xtr beast

i will probs get the savage xss with an nosram rs 28 engine wot is the best budget radio gear for a savage
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Chronic

i will probs get the savage xss with an nosram rs 28 engine wot is the best budget radio gear for a savage
Now you're talking...

My suggestion for radio gear is to hit up some eBay chopshops and see if you can grab the stock radio setup off of something like a Mayhem, LST2, or Nemesis. These all use nice radio setups that would serve you just fine and they go for much less than retail. A big consideration with the Savage though is the steering servo. It's a single servo setup with a cam type servo saver. While that's the best setup to have, the truck is still over 10lbs and it needs a hefty servo to really let it do it's thing. While there are cheaper alternatives available and some people claim to be happy with them, I would suggest getting something with at least somewhere around 180oz of torque, and a transit speed of .15 seconds or less. As long as you get a radio with EPA, digital steering servos are one of the Savage owners best friends. You will appreciate the extra holding power that they provide over analog models.

Click [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/5733]HERE[/link] for the ACE DS1015. I consider that to be the minimum for a Savage if you really want good reliable performance. You can go cheaper though... many people like the mid-level Hitecs for just general bashing.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
xtr beast

is the engine any good
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Chronic

I'm not really familiar with the whole Nosram line, but they use SH engines as far as I know. One of the Nosram .28s is identical to the 6 port SH.28 Prospec, and that is a great engine for the Savage. Just get the one with 6 ports and you'll have a good one.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
xtr beast

cheerz chronic thankz 4 the advice
Old 05-19-2007, 08:06 AM
xtr beast

just found this

Savage X 4.6 RTR

Featuring a wide range of improvements, a huge jump in power and several option parts now as standard, the Savage X 4.6 is going to set the new standard for big block monster trucks. HPI designers and engineers have continued to improve the Savage X, making the best even better! The bar has been raised again, once again showing why its the most popular big block monster truck in the world!

New 4.6 Big Block Engine:
In one word, this new power plant makes the Savage X 4.6 - FAST! The F4.6 engine is a new HPI high-power unit with the proven HPI Nitro Star reliability, featuring 2.9hp from its .28 cubic inch displacement! A great-looking anodized solid aluminium cooling head looks the business and does a great job of keep the engine cool! Rough off-road terrain and extreme stunts are not a problem when this engine is on the case! The Savage X 4.6 RTR includes a Roto Start 2 starting system to get you up and running with minimal effort!
New Alloy Diff cases:
The Alloy Diff Cases prevent damage to the internal diff gears front and rear, keeping the engines horsepower where you want it - at the tyres!
New Twin Fibre Brake Discs:
Helping all the extra speed slow down are new red fibre brake disks, which are more fade-resistant than ever before and withstand the brutal punishment of the new F4.6 engine!
Ready To Run:
HPI makes it as easy as possible for beginners to get into Nitro RC cars. The Savage X 4.6 RTR is supplied 98% factory assembled - they come Ready-To-Run and equipped with all the radio gear required. Just a few steps are needed to get your car up and running, such as adding the batteries to the transmitter and receiver and running in the engine.
Full Instruction Manual & DVD:
As with all HPI cars and trucks, you get a full, in depth instruction manual with step by step instructions that allow you to easily disassemble and reassemble your monster truck for maintenance and easy servicing.
The information on the HPI RC Cars DVD provides step by step instruction on how to start and run in your Nitro engine, and how to get the best performance from your HPI RC car.

is this good 4 a bigginer
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Chronic

The Savage X 4.6 is going to be a nice truck. The X now comes with the aluminum diff cups, so the main Savage weak point has been fixed. This new one also addresses two other common complaints... lack of power and crappy brakes. The .28 engine should be plenty exciting in a stock Savage and the new fiber dual disc brakes look really nice too. It will be a really nice RTR.

That being said, the X SS is still the better buy if you plan to build it up much past stock. The SS comes with a tuned pipe that works well enough with most aftermarket engines, you get all of the HD drivetrain components(joint cups, diff shafts, dogbones), better tires that actually work okay on a racetrack if you choose to go there, steel 47T spur and a 17T vented clutchbell which works really well with a .28 engine, it comes with a better .28 than the X 4.6 will use... it's just a nicer starting point. The X 4.6 is RTR though so it comes with the electronics and it's easier/cheaper... but HPI uses crap eletronics and you will probably want to upgrade them soon anyway, so why not just do it right away with the X SS if it's in your price range?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
xtr beast

yeah thanks ill have a think about them
Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
xtr beast

i have decided to get a hpi savage x ss with a nosram rs 28 engine a hitec agressor 2 transmitter and a hitec 625 mg bb steering servo and a hitec hs-311 throttle brake servo
what else would i require to build the kit[link]http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=Basket&Quantity=0&ItemID=25893[/link]
Old 05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Alteramod

not sure what all else you should get but it sounds like you ill have a pretty nice truck already.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
xtr beast

ok cheerz for the reply
Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 AM
HerrSavage

i have decided to get a hpi savage x ss with a nosram rs 28 engine a hitec agressor 2 transmitter and a hitec 625 mg bb steering servo and a hitec hs-311 throttle brake servo
what else would i require to build the kit[link]http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=Basket&Quantity=0&ItemID=25893[/link]

Jeeze man - you're not messing around. Good choice(um, GREAT choice..)

The only thing an X SS really needs is.... um, well, not much..

MAYBE some better quality shock oil - 30 if you like to jump, 25 if not so much.. I have 25 but wish I'd gone with 30..

You may want to get some Mugen or Nova aluminum clutch shoes too.. Besides those two things though, you've made a pretty rock-solid selection there so don't really need anything. Maybe - if you don't already have those things - get a better tube of lock-tite(you'll need it anyway) and some grease for the cups/bones.. Better tools are something because of cost reasons I really skimped on at the beginning - now they're a must. Some good hex drivers make life in RC SSOOO much easier and more pleasant...

And oh yeah - two long zip-ties for the bumper posts(they can bend and lead to lost pins.. This is a dead-easy - and cheap - fix...) If you don't know what I mean, you will after you get it all together...

Have fun and post some pics when you get it built...

..........oh yeah - and painted... So you need some paint too...
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
HerrSavage

As for highly recommendable tuning things - um, you're gonna need a wheelie-bar.. It's a great, solid, tough, and functional(if ugly-ish..) thing to have..
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Muggy250r

one word.......... MUGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
xtr beast

dont really want a muggy thats y i choose this
Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Muggy250r

lol well its up to u.......not me...so have fun with what u get.............
Old 05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
xtr beast

i will thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
webdr

If your still considering the Monster GT, I just posted a full review of it in the reviews section.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:48 AM
xtr beast

thanks the review was good but i like the idea of building it my self so i learn stuff about it as i build so for that reason bring on the savage