Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Another.... What truck to buy Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Another.... What truck to buy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
warney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another.... What truck to buy Thread

Thanks in advance for any help!

I currently have an XTM X-cellerator that I thoroughly enjoy tho the time has come (after 3 weeks) to move onto something a little larger, and more durable.

I have my thoughts at the moment and due to budget constraints yadda yadda I am down to these 3

1. Savage (25 or X)
2. MTA4
3. Revo

Of course these are in no particular order, but I would just like everybody's feedback in relation to and this is in order of importance.

1. Bashing (Skateboard parks, BMX tracks, huge jumping etc)
2. Maintenance Time Required
3. Cost of parts/Ease of repairs
4. Ease of Setup

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Bria1

Default RE: Another.... What truck to buy Thread

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not another one. Is the search feature broke or something? LOL
Alright, for what you mentioned, go with a Savage XSS.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
warney

Search is working

I have been through alot of them

But for what I am looking at, I think my needs are a touch different
Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're on a budget, you can probably take the Revo off the list..

The MTA4 is the cheapest, the biggest, and probably(therefore..) the easiest to work on. Parts in Australia however are probably not so easy to find..(Scottywilkes here on RCU can tell you..)

The Savage is probably the best for big jumping, hard crashing, etc.. It's notoriously the toughest MT you can get for big air and surviving dumb crashes... In other words, nothing is more durable... It USED to have a rep as being hard to work on, but the new X generataion of Savages are not.

In short, I would recommend the Savage X 4.6RTR. If you can't afford it though, the MTA4 has a good rep and you don't need to have any doubts about buying one. EXCEPT if you can't get parts for it.. Chances are, Savage parts are most available where you are...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Alteramod

I agree with PatrickBW on this one. The savage has had and still has the crown for bashing. I personally dont think that the mta4/ monster gt is to far behind on this one though. Not sure what you have for parts availability for you area but hpi savages have a pretty darn good hop up list behind em and for the mta4 its not to bad but a few less choices for hop ups. For budget the mta4 is the cheapest leaving room to make it better than stock and still be under what you would pay for savage or revo. I would suggest the forward only conversion for the mta4 if you get it to save tranny problems and make the truck overall more durable and quicker (not faster). For all that you have listed I would say the mta4 or savage. I dont include revo just because I think they are a bit over priced. Savage and mta4 are cheap for this hobby and in there case you get more for the money.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GST 7.7 or LST2
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM
rob123

I vouch for that, Lst2 and gst7.7. Good bashers[>:] Or you can get the mgt or aftershock verey good bashers as well, for under $400!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
steven16

mgt cheap ,durible, fun, easy to drive and maintain what more could you want?? more speed ??then buy the lst2 motor and drop it in
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

LST2 is another good truck for moderate bashing and parts availability. It might not be as tough as Savage, but you can still have bashing fun with it. You can even take it to the race track, its handling is okay as well.

As for CEN GST and Nemesis, they might be tougher than Savage in some areas, (even surpass Savage in durability), but parts for it will be very hard to get at the local RC stores. You will have to buy all your parts on-line; and waiting for them plus the high shipping costs can be prohibitive.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
rob123

I would have to say: your wrong there buddy. If that was the case, then cen the company itself would have folded along time ago, It stands to be corrected that people are buying cen products because the hobby shops are carrying parts for cen models after all. Not to long ago, I was visiting some of the (LHS) in my area and I would ask the owners of the hobby shop, "I see you guys are starting to carry alot of cen parts, what's the change all of a sudden"?, His reply to me was simple and to the point (Cen models are selling like hotcakes and people are demanding them so we have to give the people what they want. I guess hobby shops are starting to carry parts for cen after all!!!!!!!!!!!! There are some hobby shops which carry parts for the nemesis and genesis, and if you look at the cen web site, click on link and you can see all the hobby shops cen is distributing to. Not just in the US but over seas as well so you don't have to worry about being skeptical about buying cen vehicles after all. PEACE OUT
Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: rob123

I would have to say: your wrong there buddy. If that was the case, then cen the company itself would have folded along time ago, It stands to be corrected that people are buying cen products because the hobby shops are carrying parts for cen models after all. Not to long ago, I was visiting some of the (LHS) in my area and I would ask the owners of the hobby shop, "I see you guys are starting to carry alot of cen parts, what's the change all of a sudden"?, His reply to me was simple and to the point (Cen models are selling like hotcakes and people are demanding them so we have to give the people what they want. I guess hobby shops are starting to carry parts for cen after all!!!!!!!!!!!! There are some hobby shops which carry parts for the nemesis and genesis, and if you look at the cen web site, click on link and you can see all the hobby shops cen is distributing to. Not just in the US but over seas as well so you don't have to worry about being skeptical about buying cen vehicles after all. PEACE OUT
Well...about 90 percent of the hobby shops in So Cal(RC MECCA) dont carry CEN, it tells ya something .
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
3spdsavage

agreed.....i stilll havent seen a hobby shop near us that carries cen. I would love to own a genesis but no one carries parts for it. I asked one of my hobby shop owners y they dont carry cen parts, but cary hpi, traxxas and losi parts. his response was "we only provide quality parts"....lol...not sure how true that statement is becuase i never owned one. but he said when cen released a couple of the MTs....he first carried them and had lots of customers coming back with issues. even through all that i would still like one but just dont wanna deal with the BS of trying to order parts online.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
SOILWORK

First of all, the lst2 and the gst might not be in his budget, however they are both great trucks. I would recommend the Mta4 or the Savage X. The mta4 will be a lot easier to work on than the Savage X. I own a MGT and all I can say is that it is worth every penny. The MGT is fast and durable. I beat the crap out of mine and after a year, the only parts I had to replace were a few spur gears, fuel tank and a front bumper. I dont own a Savage, so i dont have anything negative to say about. A coulple of my friends have the savage and it is one of the most durable trucks out on the market. You cant loose with either choice.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well you did indirectly say the Savage is hard to work on - which is not true...
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
SOILWORK

Just because I think it maybe a liitle harder to work on than the MGT, it doesn't mean I think its a bad truck. Like I said you cant loose with either truck. I plan on buying the Savagex kit somtime in the future.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
LSTVega28

Savage X is your best bet. This is coming from a Revo guy...
Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
rob123

May be not in your area or near you (yet), But in time they well, Because its already taking place now!!!!!! sure cen had there problem before, But that was then, This is now. Every company like hpi,losi, traxxas and associated started off with having issues just like cen, No company is perfect. Anything thats man made is going to break thats including cen product. "See Ya"[8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM
LSTVega28

May be not in your area or near you (yet), But in time they well, Because its already taking place now!!!!!! sure cen had there problem before, But that was then, This is now. Every company like hpi,losi, traxxas and associated started off with having issues just like cen, No company is perfect. Anything thats man made is going to break thats including cen product. "See Ya"[8D]
Well I know in Jersey there is only 1 shop that carries cen parts...and there is only one in so cal that carries cen parts..If it hasnt blew up in so cal or Jersey. Shops didnt carry their parts 7 years ago, and they still dont.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
rob123

[quote]ORIGINAL: RevoVega28

Well I know in Jersey there is only 1 shop that carries cen parts...and there is only one in so cal that carries cen parts..If it hasnt blew up in so cal or Jersey. Shops didnt carry their parts 7 years ago, and they still dont.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 AM
warney

Sorry for creating an uproar!

But yes as Soilwork said, the LST2 and Cen are out of my price bracket, and rcmart.com have a nice MTA4 for only $350 USD and my friend is gonna pick it up for me so for me I think that will be it. The savage is good but I don't have the money for a new one =/
Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 AM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: RevoVega28

My guess is that it's extremely hard to start up a company, and get a good rep when there are so many fanboys for the other 'popular' companies like Losi, AE, Traxxas, etc... It takes time to get it right, there are going to be bumps in the road while they grow.. CEN is a good company though (from personal experience) and they seem to be getting better and better with time, I think they'll be alright........
Old 06-08-2007, 04:07 AM
scottywilkes

hey mate, i also got my MTA4 from RCmart, its a great truck, at a great price, it cost me all up with EMS shipping (took 3 days to get to me) 710 australian dollars, and i live in tasmania, thats a AWESOME PRICE, the LHS wanted 1300 AUS LOL. Ive had great fun with my truck, and its treated me very well, i will say u would be greatly happy with it if u purchased it parts, not so easy in aus, but tower, or rcmart has that covered