Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

SAVAGE X 4.6RTR OR MGT 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 PM
derrick05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVAGE X 4.6RTR OR MGT 4.6

Im trying to get some public input on these two trucks.I have an OLD MGT and had an old savage,and between the two older models the savage had less breakage,but cant go off of that because Im sure both models have been improved since I bought mine.Was going to buy a nemesis but it will be a while before that happens,but am going to buy one of these.I dont care about track performance.My main concerns are toughness and reliability.Could you guys give me some pros and cons of both trucks and why you would pick one over the other?Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: SAVAGE X 4.6RTR OR MGT 4.6

can't go wrong with either. I do think the MGT has a stronger frame also a lot cheaper but both are very good.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 AM
derrick05

Do you know wich of these trucks needs the most critical hop-ups?I know the MGT needs a forward only conversion kit(for me anyway)What critical upgrades do the savage need?Trying to see wich of these I can make a good truck out of for the least money.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO this is the first RTR Savage that truly doesn't need any.. Maybe a tuned pipe, but I'd just try the stock one first..

Tough call here though.

The Sav does probably have the edge in tuning alternatives for down the line... I would also expect it's faster out of the box.. MGT is bigger out of the box though - and a tad cheaper..
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 AM
duckedup

There are a couple weak links on the MGT stock, but it's pretty solid as is.. I'm not sure about the Savage X4.6 RTR, but HPI seems to have solved the issues the original 'X' had - from what I've read anyway..You can't really go wrong with either IMO... a little variety is always nice though...

btw.. there isn't much difference between the .21 MGT and the 4.6SE, they both have basically the same weak links - turnbuckles, lack of locktite from the factory, shock caps pop off on hard landings.. mostly cheap and easy fixes though.

The XSS is also one you might consider, it's a hopped up truck, stock.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The Savage has some weak spots; the spur gear (this can be replaced with a steel spur) and the diffs (alum cups will help alot). As for the rest, it is pretty much bullit proof. You really have to do something stupid to break it.

Parts that can be improved? Slop in the steering. RPM nylon suspension arms help a bit; theHPI upright alum upgrade fixes this for the most part. The stock radio is quite horrible; but a new radio set (JR, Futaba, Airtronics) of decent quality will easily fix this. The stock HPI servos also leave alot to be desired; but aftermarket servos too will fix this. The Savage brakes, even the dual disc brakes, suck horribly also. But fortunately CF upgrades also can be bought.

Both MGT and Savage are good choices; proven and very popular. Parts for both and aftermarket for both are available at the local store or on virtually any online store.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM
HerrSavage

Jim you're being a bit overly critical of Savages there, cuz most of what you said applies to all RTR's... ALL Savages now have the alu diff cups too, right?? And if there's any truck that doesn't need RPM's, it's a Savage..

Just wanted to set that straight...
Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, I am referring to the RTR, the older 25s and the earlier X rtr that didnt have the metal spurs and the alum diff cups. Fortunately, if you get an older X RTR with the plastic cups, HPI will actually send you the alum cups on request.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:17 AM
HerrSavage

OK but again just to be clear, EVERY truck you are referring to is discontinued.. The ONLY production RTR now is the 4.6X RTR wit alu cups, good brakes, etc...

I guess there are still a lot of 4.1X RTR's sitting around in hobby shops, so yeah somebody might buy one and then need the alu diff cups..., but with the X4.6 it's all included...
Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Alteramod

Well I have a MGT. So far all of my upgrades include:

Forward only kit
Factory team shock caps
Red and copper shock springs
RPM arms all the way around
Hpi tuned pipe
Hpi performance filter
Few sets of tires
New body
Diffs filled with diff lube instead of grease.
Couple smaller personal ugrades

Out of all of them I would say that only the shock springs and forward only would be a must have. The tranny just doesnt hold up long enough with the reverse in it. As for the shocks they are a must have in my book just because the blue stockers blow and the truck bottoms out way to easy. The rpm arms actually are not needed on this truck. I found that the stockers held up very well. I broke two lower ones in the first couple months I had it. Which the first one my batteries where dead in transmitter and I didnt really notice and it wouldnt turn so I hit the corner of the house with the front right at like half throttle. The second was from landing on a cement block from about 12 foot up or so, it cracked it where it hit the block.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 AM
derrick05

How much $ does the forward only kit cost for the MGT?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM
scottywilkes

about 15 US
Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

OK but again just to be clear, EVERY truck you are referring to is discontinued.. The ONLY production RTR now is the 4.6X RTR wit alu cups, good brakes, etc...

I guess there are still a lot of 4.1X RTR's sitting around in hobby shops, so yeah somebody might buy one and then need the alu diff cups..., but with the X4.6 it's all included...
Whoa! I didnt know the F4.1 X-RTR was being discontinued. Heck, my local RC store still sells non-X parts.

In any case, I still recommend the Savage especially since I know it thouroughly. I also feel the Savage has an advantage in durability. The MGT Im sure has its own set of weanesses, but I did not dare to say what they are since I do not know which parts on them fail frequently.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM
derrick05

Durability is probably what im looking for the most out of the two.Maybe a good question is wich one breaks the most in stock configuration?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
vass151

ORIGINAL: derrick05

Durability is probably what im looking for the most out of the two.Maybe a good question is wich one breaks the most in stock configuration?
depends on how you drive it.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:35 AM
HerrSavage

I'm biased because a Savage was my first RC, and its toughness is largely what made me such a hopeless RC addict...

That said, I do spend WAY too much time on these forums, so I think I CAN say somewhat objectively that of the two the Savage will break less. I base that largely on the fact that MGT guys have just told me that pretty often. But from what you hear the MGT has no major weak links, and is tough right out of the box. Later you can upgrade to RPM arms and bullet-proof it pretty easily and cheaply I think..

But still, if a good friend of mine came to me and asked what first truck to get, especially if he was on a budget, I would defo recommend the MGT(and of course a Savage..) - mostly cuz of the price.. I've never had one, but have heard enough positive to feel confident about them..

You're not a newb though, so that it makes it a bit harder.. They're pretty d.amn equal IMO.. Just a couple different pros in each column..

Savage: a tad tougher, TONS of tuning options, cooler name(jk..)
MGT: bigger, better price, handles better..

So basically I think it breaks down like this:

Both trucks are rock-solid. You can't go wrong with either one..

IF though you think you might want to get crazy and jump off hills and try double-back flips off huge quarter-pipes or whatever..., then in that case I would say Savage... I can't imagine any truck being more forgiving, whether of stupidity or mistakes, or of just trying crazy shxx...

The MGT on the other hand is cheaper - and bigger(which I like anyway..), and handles better.. The Savage has an absolute TON of tuning options too, which may be something to think about..

So my advice would be to go with your gut. Go to the LHS and look them over, and go with what feels better for you..
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
derrick05

Great input Patrick!I know what you mean about being partial to your first truck.My very first truck was an MGT.I tore that thing up in 3 days.All rookie mistakes.At the time I didnt have a clue what I was doing,but just that little experience was enough to hook me like a dope addict.Im leaning to the MGT right now,only because of having the option of a pullstart.Yea,Im one of those crazy people that perfer a pullstart over drill anyday.Also like the size and the fact that I can use a cen GST body on the MGT.I think the savage looks better and will bust the MGT off the line but I think thats due to weight difference.It will still be another month before I buy so I would still like to hear any input.Still may change my mind.I will let you guys know what I finally decide.Thanks Patrick.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
LSTVega28

The Savage is more forgiving IMO if your still new at this rc thing.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Art91

I received a SavageX 4.6RTR for my bday and I have nothing but positive things to say about it, it has the power to wheelie on demand and is very forgiving in the air. The savys engine holds a tune way better than my Revo too. On the other hand my friend bought an MGT about a month ago and its held up well also. It jumps very well handles good, and has good brakes. It definatly seems like a good truck to me. The Mgt,s engine is very easy to tune also. Personally I like both trucks very much.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Alteramod

Yeah man I would just go with what every truck looks better to ya. I dont mean just bodies either cause you can change them. The whole layout like the chassis, suspension, etc. I know my buddies savage .21 was pretty solid. It really only ever broke small things that were inexpensive and what not. I also left out the fact that I have had to replace my diff case on my MGT. That happened same time I landed on cement bloke though. It sheared the screw off that held the tie rod in place. When I tried to drill it out my cheap bit broke and I nailed that diff case and put a nice hole/crack in it.