Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

steel spur

Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
D-Fly
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steel spur

I have the savage x and i set the ger mesh pretty soild every time but after about five tanks of fuel my engine just strips the spur gear. I am thinking about putting in a steel one. does any one have any suggestion. Also can you please list some pulses and draw backs to having a steel spur gear. do i have to update anyhting else if i want to go with a steel one?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Muggy250r

Default RE: steel spur

with a steel one if u land with ur finger on the gas odds are ur diffs will strip and not the spur.........the plastic spur is like a failsafe in a way
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
derrick05

Muggy250 couldnt have said it better.Sure is a lot easier and cheaper to change a plastic gear when something has to give,and there will be a time when something has to give.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: derrick05

Muggy250 couldnt have said it better.Sure is a lot easier and cheaper to change a plastic gear when something has to give,and there will be a time when something has to give.
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM
ttoks

and on top of that a metal spur when the mesh is set incorrect will each your clutch bells like your eating spurs now.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
DaveG55

Yep, if you decide to go with a metal spur you'll have to get a hardened clutchbell too.

I thought that one versin or another of the Savage came with a steel spur...maybe the x SS, I don't remember

I would still suspect that either you're not getting the mesh quite right or you have some flex/movement somewhere. A spur should last more than 5 tanks of fuel unless you're driving like a wildman or picking up gravel or something.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM
ttoks

i drive my revo like a wildman and i'm still one the spur that came from the factory...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: ttoks

i drive my revo like a wildman and i'm still one the spur that came from the factory...
a revo isnt a bigblock and doesnt weigh as much either.........
Old 06-13-2007, 03:53 PM
p8ntball

i had a plastic spur gear and ate up several of them.. i just bought a robinson racing one and on the second tank i went off a jump and there went the clutch bell... maybe i didnt set the mesh right... i ll fix it though.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Yep, if you decide to go with a metal spur you'll have to get a hardened clutchbell too.

I thought that one versin or another of the Savage came with a steel spur...maybe the x SS, I don't remember

I would still suspect that either you're not getting the mesh quite right or you have some flex/movement somewhere. A spur should last more than 5 tanks of fuel unless you're driving like a wildman or picking up gravel or something.
u need a hardened CB
Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: D-Fly

I have the savage x and i set the ger mesh pretty soild every time but after about five tanks of fuel my engine just strips the spur gear. I am thinking about putting in a steel one. does any one have any suggestion. Also can you please list some pulses and draw backs to having a steel spur gear. do i have to update anyhting else if i want to go with a steel one?
If you are stripping plastic gears no matter how well your get your mesh right (paper trick, etc.), then it could be the little "x"s under the engine mount plate might have compressed and are no longer plaching your spur in proper orientation with your CB. Check your Savage and see if it is one of the older Savage X RTR. If it is, chances are that you have the older X-TVP on which the little "x"s under the engine buckle and compress too easily from jumps and other bashing activities. If your TVPs are the older X-TVPs, and the "x"s under them are buckled out of position, you will always strip plastic gears. Worse yet, a metal spur on a hardened CB will eat each other to nothing.

Try to call HPI and see if they can replace you older X-TVP with the newer revised X TVPs that now come on the X-SS kit. The X-SS TVPs hade these little "x"s redesigned and they no longer buckle too easily.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:12 PM
ttoks

Muggy250r Date 6/14/2007 6:49:48 AM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

a revo isnt a bigblock and doesnt weigh as much either.........
i'm running an RB TM523, that is a bigblock, and it has plenty enough power to strip gears if they're not meshed just right.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
D-Fly
My Feedback: (9)

ya thanks. My savage has so much power. i dont ussuly break them when i am on strait aways or anything. it is ussualy when i am poping wheelys or other things like that. i have done the paper trick and everytings my gear mesh is pretty good. i am a basher only i break everything. well thanks for all the answers and ill check our my tvps and see if thats the problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:05 AM
ttoks

i found the paper trick isn't the best way, i rather to it by feel, so theres a very tiny little bit of play (like .1 mm or less), and no binding in the gears.