Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

how do u do wheelies with a stock Revo?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

how do u do wheelies with a stock Revo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
chimpychimp14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u do wheelies with a stock Revo?

i just got my revo a few months ago and it doesnt seem to do weelies so if anyone has any advice please tell me
Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 PM
ssj2

Default RE: how do u do wheelies with a stock Revo?

I would tighten the slipper clutch a bit and that may make for a slight bit improvement.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 AM
c_hochhalter

i have the same problem ive got a revo 3.3 and the only way i can pop the front wheels up is if i lock the bracks turn sharply and jam the throttle so its at a dead stop but the rpms are still up high and its sweet when it does but its nothing like traxxas claims wheelies on demand
Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 AM
ttoks

tuned right, with the suspension on the highest setting, with the slipper set tight and you'll be able to putt wheelies no problem as long as your engine has been well maintained and was broken in properly.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Rice_slayer

When tightening the slipper though, its very hard on your drivetrain, as is doing wheelies. I honestly dont see the attraction of wheels, its cool to watch but isnt worth the tuning/harsh on drivetrain. I'd rather pop the truck 7 feet in the air from a ramp than wheelie...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 AM
JQuest64

I agree with Rice Slayer, wheelies are very over rated. I have a new Savage 4.6 RTR and the thing is a wheelie monster. What do I have to show for that? A destroyed body, a scratched cylinder head and numerous missed opportunites on ramps because
I cannot keep the front wheels down.

If your Revo is running fast and keeping the wheels on the ground and the lid skyward, be happy.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:14 AM
ttoks

it's called throttle control, the RB i run makes my revo flip happy as well, but you use said action noted before by instead of pulling the little plastic thing your left (if your left handed right) finger is on all the way in, only pull it a part of the way, not that hard is it, god why is it so many MT guys complain about there truck flipping when it is 100% driver error, it's up to the driver to know how the truck and engine is going to respond to a throttle input and adjust the input accordingly, you'll never see a motor cross rider saying his engine is to powerful because he/she flipped when he/she hit full throttle from a standstill and flipped, same go's for an RC.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: JQuest64

I agree with Rice Slayer, wheelies are very over rated. I have a new Savage 4.6 RTR and the thing is a wheelie monster. What do I have to show for that? A destroyed body, a scratched cylinder head and numerous missed opportunites on ramps because
I cannot keep the front wheels down.

If your Revo is running fast and keeping the wheels on the ground and the lid skyward, be happy.

I had the same problem with my savage 4.1 with the 3spd so I changed the gears and now has real good top end. It does not take off like before but at least I don't have to run to pick it up now from a dead start. I put tie raps around the head but the head is still all scratched up. also for racing wheelies are no good when the fronts up you have zero control and when you get the front down the other guy is gone.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: ttoks

it's called throttle control, the RB i run makes my revo flip happy as well, but you use said action noted before by instead of pulling the little plastic thing your left (if your left handed right) finger is on all the way in, only pull it a part of the way, not that hard is it, god why is it so many MT guys complain about there truck flipping when it is 100% driver error, it's up to the driver to know how the truck and engine is going to respond to a throttle input and adjust the input accordingly, you'll never see a motor cross rider saying his engine is to powerful because he/she flipped when he/she hit full throttle from a standstill and flipped, same go's for an RC.
Some of what you say is true, some of it is half true and some of it is flat out BS especially the comparison between MX and RC trucks.
If all you do is stay WOT and flip, absolutely driver error there. However we frequent many of the same bash spots and every time we are at them, field surface reacts differently.
Surface plays a big role in how to use your throttle. On a track I would agree that flipping is 100% user error unless you are new to the track or running a rig for the first time on said track. There is only one way to find out what is too much however, and that is by hitting that point. There is a difference between user error and learning curve.
Pushing the envelope while driving plays a role however. Trying to get your rig to do the most it can will lead to flipping. My Savage will at times hook up perfectly out of a corner and when it does it is a thing of beauty. There are times though when tires will grab something in the dirt and react very differently.

There are many occasions where response time dictates your throttle control, especially in bash sessions. Open fields vary greatly in surface and for the most part can be very difficult to learn given the fact that most of the time you are not on the same line. I do not know anyone who will not flip a rig on occasion while bashing, even the best of drivers. Unless they are more concerned with their lid then they are about having a good time.
Setup also comes into play also. The 4.6 RTR Savage out of the box is geared for the wheelie enthusiast. I can be at half throttle and hammer it and it will want to flip.

There is also a very fine line between taking the hole shot, and playing follow the leader. When gauging how much gas to give for a hole shot, having a 3/4" throttle spread does not always lend to perfection on the line. With my Savage there is a very small area between too much and just enough and no matter how well I know that, I will not find that spot 100% of the time.

As for the MX and RC comparison, it really is not all that valid. On a bike you can feel the tire hooking up and getting ready to throw you off. With and RC 50-100' away from you in a field, things are quite different and you can easily be on your lid before you can even react.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
ttoks

the MX and RC comparison is an example of throttle control so it stands for what i'm trying to get across here, you don't take off with full throttle, you roll on the throttle, same technique that "should" be used with an RC if it's prone to flipping, you make good points, but in the end it all comes down to throttle control, if you see the wheels coming off the ground learn to roll off the throttle slightly to keep the wheels down instead of letting it off completely, thats what looses time when you see the wheels coming off the ground and panic and let of of the throttle.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM
[email protected]

by the time I see the front pop up and was already WOT it's too late and over she goes.[]
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM
tommie!

I have the same problem. I broke in my savage 4.6 and revo 3.3 at the same time. The savage is fun to wheelie(with the wheelie bar) and the revo sometimes might wheelie exiting a turn. The revo is not really a wheelie machine. My TNX can wheelie and the Savage also but the Revo just does not want to...I wonder if my engine is soft on power...
Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 PM
chimpychimp14

ok thx