Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

NEW MONSTER MT (HELP PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
CUSTOM RC KID

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MONSTER MT (HELP PLEASE)

I JUST GOT THE NEW MONSTER MT, NOW I JUST FOLLWED THE BREAK IN PROCEDURE WHICH IS RUN FOR THREE MINUTES WITH QUICK SHORT BURST OF THROTTLE THEN LET SIT AND COOL FOR 10 MIN BEFORE RUNNING AGAIN, I DID THAT AND ITS RUNNING GREAT BUT I CAN HEAR THE GEAR CHANGE, THE TWO SPEED YA KNOW, ON MY OTHER CARS I COULD HEAR THE GEAR SHIFT, SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, OVER ALITTLE TIME CAN I HEAR THIS? ISNT EVN SHIFTING YET? THE GUY AT HOBBY PEOPLE SAID I SHOULD RUN 6 TANKS BEFORE I GET ON IT, BUT THOSE TANKS ARE HUGE AND THE BREAKIN PROCEDURE SAYS DIFFERNT? HELP ME PLEASE
Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
MGTmadman

Default RE: NEW MONSTER MT (HELP PLEASE)

Ok from what your saying you were doing the heat cycle method for break in and it is not shifting to second gear just winding out in first gear, were you leaning the HSN between runs? If not you needed to lean the HSN in 1 hour increments between runs, once the HSN gets lean enough you should definetly hear the truck shift into second gear, the sound is unmistakeable. I would suggest putting the LSN and HSN back to factory and start from there with your tuning, first start leaning the HSN in 1 hour increments, drive it out and bring it back, adjust the HSN and repeat. Once you hear the shift to second gear do a couple runs with it to see if its consistent, if so then you can start tweaking on the LSN.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM
X3n0

and WHATS WITH THE CAPS ??.. are you yelling at us ? please use lower case unless you are emphasising a few words....
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
CUSTOM RC KID

ha ha sorry about the caps, but i had leaned it out, plenty of power, and it not wineing out but could it be that i dont have along enough straight away, (about 20 yards) and also to you think its broken in good enough, or should i still be easy on it? ive had these before but its been like three years since i broke an engine in
Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u finish the heat cycle? your first post makes that unclear. i did the heat cycle on my truck as well. i dont remember perfectly but it was like 6 three minute cycles. but more important than the length of cycles is you MUST get your engine over 200 degrees F in that amount of time, other wise your not even heat cycling it. i wrapped my head in foil to get it hot fast. the first cycle start out with very little throttle and increase a Tiny bit of throttle with each cycle. also, with each cycle i leaned up my high speed needle an hour or 2. you seem to have a little knowledge of nitros....so if you feel you engine is screaming at a high rpm and still not shifting it may be something else that needs adjustment, like the 2 speed tranny adjuster. what kind of truck is it?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
CUSTOM RC KID

this is like my 5th nitro, but my first brand new one, i know how to tune, but ive never broken in a engine, it is the new xtm monster mt, i never knew there was such thing as i heat cycle, i follwed the instuctions exactly, but honestly the truck runs very well it doesnt seam like theres anything wrong i just cant hear the truck shift, the engine doesnt sound like its reving to high and it going about 40 no problem, i just cant hear it shift, unless this truck is alot faster than i expected and hasnt been able to shift
Old 07-20-2007, 04:29 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh. i got ya now. sweet choice. read about that truck not too long ago and it seems like a sweet platform. if it's going 40, it has to be shifting. try slowly accelerating to top speed. you should hear it shift then. post a video too. i wanna see it in action.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
ThermalRD

If its geared like the rest of the mammoth line, you SHOULDNT hear it shift during break-in. You really have to wind that thing out to get up there. Which you shouldnt be doing during break-in. Finish your break-in, and tune it for performance. Then worry about shifting.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

if that truck goes 40+, i could tell it shift, but tooooo early, try to turn the second gear screw clutch clockwise like tightening a screw, maybe 1/4 turn. me what I do, after adjusting the screw, i pick the truck and rev. it easily until i feel or hear it shift. if it won't shift on half throttle, then turn the screw again another 1/4, see to it if the truck goes 40mph est, if it does, it still shifting early, if not ,you need to loosen the screw 1/4 at a time
the truck only run in first speed.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
CUSTOM RC KID

thanks guys you have all been a big help i finally got it to shift i talked to some guy and they said they assemble them in china probably and there not always supposed to be perfect out of the box so i messed with the tranny gear timing and its shifting now, but, its bogging down when it hits second gear and the engine shuts off, so i gotta sit down and just tinker with the needles till i get it perfect. ill send a video soon
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

yeah damn made in china products.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 AM
6bloodychunks

i have the monster mt too, and i had to back off the grub screw quite a bit after i broke it in
to get it to shift ,i think they had it bottomed out at the factory , but it shifts fine now ,
i have it set to shift at a pretty high rpm because first gear is enough most of the time lol

did someone say video??

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/N6572T2NNR88Z2LT/received
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
6bloodychunks

if you listen closely when i run the truck out far the first time ,
on the way back you can hear it shift right before i put on the brakes.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM
spaceboy427

my xlb ...which uses the same 2 speed as all the large xtm's...mamoth ...mt.....used to shift perfect............
i have 2 gallons threw it.......all of a suddan without changing anything....it wont **** into 2nd...no matter how i adjust the tension screw.........
i think somehow the 2 speed is fooked................
im about to order anther one..........
very strange.........this is...hummm[]
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
jombo

there is a spring in the 2 speed, if you screw the grub screw too far in or after time the spring will loose tencion and not work . they sell a spring kit and thats all most need, save your money for other things like bigger tires and things like that.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
spaceboy427

i havent seen a spring....listed in the parts...of any of the xtm 2 speed units.......
i do know of springs in2 speeds.....just didnt see it in the diagrams.
i also dont see it offerd for sale at there site