Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage Hole Shot

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:11 PM
CHEVY 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Hole Shot

Can anyone clue me in on what I can do to give my savage to make it quicker launching out of the hole? My savage is bone stock and is running good....but...I would like it to be quicker
Old 03-14-2003, 12:20 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Default Savage Hole Shot

i read changing the plastic pipe to an aluminum one helps.

www.savage21.net
Old 03-14-2003, 12:30 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default Savage Hole Shot

thats a given isnt it hehe jk. You could regear it and buy a new pipe for it. also lighter tires, like the monstermaxx racing ones.. The tires took 2.5 lbs off a terra crusher's stock tires.. (not sure bout savage tire weight)
Old 03-14-2003, 12:43 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Default Savage Hole Shot

well its a given to you i dont own a savage and dont know what kinda pipe it comes with .....just relaying information :P
Old 03-14-2003, 12:52 AM
CHEVY 2

Default Savage Hole Shot

Thanks for the info.This truck really seems to be running very well
now,but like normal I cant leave well enough alone.I am just not happy with the take off...If I would drop down a few teeth on the spur gear,and put a nice pipe on it,would it make a noticable difference? As you can tell I am not all for top end speed.I like jumping and climbing over things.Like my buddies t/maxx... lol
Old 03-14-2003, 12:55 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default Savage Hole Shot

yes it would be a noticeable difference, same with tires you could buy bigger ones for what you want to do, there are other things you could do for better performance, but im mainly an electric car driver, there are lot of nitro guys here that could help you alot more than I ever could think of
Old 03-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Savage Hole Shot

Originally posted by CHEVY 2
Thanks for the info.This truck really seems to be running very well
now,but like normal I cant leave well enough alone.I am just not happy with the take off...If I would drop down a few teeth on the spur gear,and put a nice pipe on it,would it make a noticable difference? As you can tell I am not all for top end speed.I like jumping and climbing over things.Like my buddies t/maxx... lol
If you dropped a few teeth on your spur gear it would lessen your acceleration and increase your top speed. You would want to go with a bigger spur gear or smaller clutch bell gearing.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:10 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Savage Hole Shot

Actually why dont you try a low end pipe for the Savage then?
RBConcept makes a good low end pipe the RB 063 (thats the name)
Its not cheap but it may be worth it.
Enjoy!

I cant wait till the MonsterGT becomes popular and then I can soup mine up and beat every savage that is out there.. hehe (wishful thinking..may or may not be good who knows?!)
Old 03-14-2003, 01:16 PM
LooneyTunes

Default Savage Hole Shot

In adition to a pipe and airfilter change you could drop in a Ofna Hyper 8 port engine (~ $140). Compared to the stock engine the Hyper has explosive acceleration. I broke the pullstart on my Hyper, so I went back to the stock engine until I get a replacement. The difference is night and day. I run they Hyper with a RB 086 pipe and a MotorSaver airfilter. The Hyper is one sweet running engine. If only they could put better springs in the pullstart. I have broken three of them already.

LT
Old 03-14-2003, 04:47 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Default Savage Hole Shot

You could try upgrading your clutch to give it more grab. Something like the Mugen 3-shoe should do the trick.
An air filter and pipe will also help and so will fine tuning your carb adjustments.
In the manual it states what operating temperatures are optimum for low-end performance vs. high-end.
The gearing is already pretty low in fact most go up a few teeth on the clutch bell to give it more top end.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:55 PM
CHEVY 2

Default Savage Hole Shot

Thanks for the information....Sounds like I am going to make a trip to my l.h.s tonight...Also I am a life long auto tech so I have sense of how engines work.What is the optimum temp for a savage too run at ? I have a heat gauge I can use to tune it If I know what the specs are....And by the way,can I make my own fuel? I have built a few race cars in my days and I can get my hands
on the nitro and all the other goodies to make it. But it would be great to have a recipe.thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2003, 12:19 AM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Default Savage Hole Shot

Chevy 2,

Besides the aftermarket pipe, you could try putting in a 13 tooth clutch bell. I stole one off a GS Storm. Actually, I originally stole the whole flywheel, 3 shoe clutches and 13 t clutch bell.

It launched really hard

I now run a 16 t and a hyper 8 port. Felt the need for speed.

Also, I forget to mention, make sure your slipper clutch is tight enough. Tighten all the way, then back nut off ~1/2 turn.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:59 AM
CHEVY 2

Default Savage Hole Shot

Just orderd a rb-063 pipe. Cant wait to hear it!!!!!!! I hope it makes a difference...........Has anyone made there own fuel?
I can get my hands
on the nitro and all the other goodies to make it. But it would be great to have a recipe that really works.And besides It would be alot cheaper than $ 20.00 a gallon.thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2003, 05:10 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Savage Hole Shot

OMG.. If that thing doesnt do well My ass is gonna be on fire! lol

I just ordered an 86 (high end speed pipe).

Lets see how it goes!!

Btw.. How much did you pay? Did you get the inline kit or just the pipe/silicone/header setup?

-ram
Old 03-15-2003, 05:48 AM
CHEVY 2

Default Savage Hole Shot

I just bought the pipe no header.It shouldnt make a difference using factory header.
I payed $54.99 for it...Man I hope it makes a difference I will let ya know how it runs...
Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 AM
CHEVY 2

Default Savage Hole Shot

Oh buy the way, I got it at ace hobby...