Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tires MOAB or Big Joe??

Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
bayson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires MOAB or Big Joe??

I'm about to buy a new set of tires, i have a combo of (proline) 40 series with crime fighters tires, which are very racy, light etc. I do some racing, but also bashing/jumping at the skatepark, so the low profile crime fighters dont give me any balance on landings.. and dont absorb any impact.. and in tight turns, they stick to the ground or loose it, and makes your car flip over in a split second.. so there is no much in between..

I have experience with Big Joe's. They are much heavier and wider.. good for balance on and off ground, and a bit slower in acceleration.

Crime fighters weight 150 grams
Big Joe's 270 grams
MOAB's 375 grams

The moabs look pretty cool, and look like a well balancing tire, BUT they are very HEAVY.

SO.. WHO HAS SOME EXPERIENCE WITH MOABS...? Do they slow your truck down massively, or not? I felt some acceleration loss with going from HPI Dirrt Bonz to Big Joe's.. so will the mosb be worse? or equal?

Theoretilcally i would say heavier is worse.. but who knows? Any MOAB owners here?

HELP!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
duckedup

Default RE: Tires MOAB or Big Joe??

That's a huge weight difference, that'll effect performance regardless. It'll also be harder on the truck (drive train etc.) The Moabs look cool, but I'd go with the Big Joes for the weight reason.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM
NitroDemon18

A good bashing/all around tire are the proline badlands. Thats what I would get.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: NitroDemon18

A good bashing/all around tire are the proline badlands. Thats what I would get.
Those, or the Zombies are also another good one.

Here's my Zombies mounted on 40 series Velocities...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
ferrariowner123

BIG joes, hands down
Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
senator050

Go the Moabs for bashing & the Joes for stability off road & grip , road rages for the street[>:]
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
rapsucks_07

ive heard the moabs xl are lighter than the regular moabs. ive only read that in another forum. ive never tried them. ive tried the moabs 2.2's on my mt2ss and they are awesome last a long time even on street
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM
bayson

ORIGINAL: duckedup

YO. Could you tell me the weight of the Zombie tire? (with or without rim, just mention) And the zombie's are normal size tires right, but you put them on a 40 rim. So how do they perform on 40 rims? Do they stay in a balanced shape, or they start doing weird since they are not supposed to?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM
jombo

i have the moabs but only used them on the genesis and nemesis. these two trucks have all metal gears and drivetrain parts and both weigh in around i think the nemesis is 14 lbs and the genesis 16 or so and move those trucks really well. i just installed a set on the lst2 so we will see how well it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20741.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	748868  
Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 PM
scottywilkes

I love my big joes

They provide awesome grip, stability and last ages
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 PM
ferrariowner123

yeah, now i just baught a pair of Big joes for my truck, so im really excited for them to come and i got 2 day air so i wont have to wait, YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 02:43 AM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: bayson

YO. Could you tell me the weight of the Zombie tire? (with or without rim, just mention) And the zombie's are normal size tires right, but you put them on a 40 rim. So how do they perform on 40 rims? Do they stay in a balanced shape, or they start doing weird since they are not supposed to?
They're awesome!, Truck handles great, awesome traction, super soft rubber but wears great - and this setup is about 80g lighter per wheel than the Big Joes (and the stock MGT wheels also).. so, about 12oz lighter total. (both the Big Joes and MGT tires are about the same, within 2 grams of each other I think)

And yea, they are Maxx size, but the soft rubber stretches over the 40 series easily. There are a few other guys that have done this also... all with a similar reviews - excellent
Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 AM
scottywilkes

ferrari, what wheels did u get? And did u get 23mm hexes? Cause the extra weight and added traction with the big joes over the stockers will rip them 14mm hexes to pieces
Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
vass151

ORIGINAL: scottywilkes

ferrari, what wheels did u get? And did u get 23mm hexes? Cause the extra weight and added traction with the big joes over the stockers will rip them 14mm hexes to pieces
Just glue the hexes into the wheel on 14mm. Thats what I do and have had zero problems with my big joes on my MGT. 23mm hexes are over rated in my opinion, the axle ios the same size anyway. They really need to beef those up a bit.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 AM
scottywilkes

i prefer 23mm hexes, there just easier, and gluing dosnt always work, mates collari 32 powered LST had 14s, ge glued them and after 3 tanks they had ripped the hexes to pieces LOL
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
bayson

[IMG][/IMG]
They're awesome!, Truck handles great, awesome traction, super soft rubber but wears great - and this setup is about 80g lighter per wheel than the Big Joes (and the stock MGT wheels also).. so, about 12oz lighter total. (both the Big Joes and MGT tires are about the same, within 2 grams of each other I think)

And yea, they are Maxx size, but the soft rubber stretches over the 40 series easily. There are a few other guys that have done this also... all with a similar reviews - excellent
Duckedup, did you use the standard foams while doing this mod? Or did you put in special foams..? Im searching the internet on trinity foams, but havent found anyone to tell me if they fit to 40 series wheels..?
Or the ofna foams 40 series?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 AM
duckedup

Duckedup, did you use the standard foams while doing this mod? Or did you put in special foams..? Im searching the internet on trinity foams, but havent found anyone to tell me if they fit to 40 series wheels..?
I used 40 series foams from a set of CrimeFighters I have. The foams that come with the Zombies are not only too big, they are hard as a rock and heavy (probably to make up for the soft rubber).. Depending on how picky you are, I would use different foams regardless, whether you're using maxx or 40 series rims. The Losi Claw foams are much better if you plan on using them with Maxx size rims.. other than that, 40 series foams shouldn't be too hard to find on the net..

So...It'll cost a little more, but they are awesome tires!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
bayson

I used 40 series foams from a set of CrimeFighters I have. The foams that come with the Zombies are not only too big, they are hard as a rock and heavy (probably to make up for the soft rubber).. Depending on how picky you are, I would use different foams regardless, whether you're using maxx or 40 series rims. The Losi Claw foams are much better if you plan on using them with Maxx size rims.. other than that, 40 series foams shouldn't be too hard to find on the net..

So...It'll cost a little more, but they are awesome tires!
Thnx for your answer!

I'm going to get those zombie-max and put them on my 40 rims. still not sure about the foams.. but ill see when i get the tires.. I have been looking for 40 serie foams, but they all look more like very thin, like for bowties and crimefighters like you have yourself.. (low profile). check them out , what do you think?
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/OFN81102-Ofna-81102-40-Series-Foam-Yellow-2_W0QQitemZ110118866837QQihZ001QQcategoryZ34063QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem[/link]

will they work with the Zombie combo? what you reckon?

thanks again@!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM
duckedup

I've never used those foams in particular, but that is the size you want.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
HPI_tek

well, after reading whats on this forum i am definetley going for big joes on my savage will 17 mm hexs work out alright?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: HPI_tek

well, after reading whats on this forum i am definetley going for big joes on my savage will 17 mm hexs work out alright?
Make sure you get 40 series rims.. like these - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPTH9&P=FR
Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
HPI_tek

I was gonna go with the axial bead locks, I am sick of glue
Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 AM
warney

I got the moabs simply cause they look thicker and will last longer.

i don't care much for weight as i am just bashing, and in addition i need a new steering servo (hopeing to break this one so i can justify a new one)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
HPI_tek

I got the moab s simply cause they look thicker and will last longer.

i don't care much for weight as i am just bashing, and in addition i need a new steering servo (hopeing to break this one so i can justify a new one)
Are you running the stock servo? My stock one was a piece, it would barley turn the stock tires
Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 AM
scottywilkes

its the stock MGT steering servo, its stock metal geared and over 100oz of torque, not bad for a stocker, compared to all these plastic servos alot of RTRs come with