Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Murphy's Law Day with the Savage...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Murphy's Law Day with the Savage...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Murphy's Law Day with the Savage...

I just had a Savage-h.ell day... Even after two gallons I still normally loosen the glow-plug before starting.. Today not of course.., aaaaaaaannnnddd.... broken pullstart..

So, engine out to repair that, and I see the engine mount is broken... Not to mentino the bushing in front of the CB was all egg-shaped out... Had the original engine mount from the kit, so no biggy... Then I stripped a screw trying to get it the mount off... Got some help, sorted that out.. In the meantime a guy had repaired the original pullstart for me.. Everything put back together - with the 17T CB BTW instead of the 18 I had on there, but no locktite on the mount-screws OR engine bolts cuz I ran out..., then 2nd pull pullstart breaks.. EVERYTHING back apart, spare pullstart on - stuff, tools, broken parts, spare parts, clips, etc.. laying EVERYWHERE... Anyway, everything back together, and I see the throttle linkage isn't working right.. Took me 20 minutes to get it to open all the way and function more or less correctly... Then FINALLY I get it running - was liking the peppy acceration with the new CB......

And then................ the pipe just flew off.... I was like, heh?? Yep, that was the pipe that flew off... The rubber thingy that holds it on just broke in half - I guess it got cracked from all the moving around......

So that was it for the day - didn't have a spare rubber thingy..... Four hours, and about a quarter tank... And a bit of backpain from doing all the wrenching crouched over laying on the pavement...

Not saying it was all the Sav's fault, just a Murphy's Law kind of day......

ps The wheelie-bar is a great Savy upgrade, but it makes working on anything an ABSOLUTE PIA!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

What a day......
Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 PM
cleek
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Murphy's Law Day with the Savage...

pullstart sux....why u have that?[&o]
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM
jatoracing33

i know how it feels
Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM
nothinbetr2do

we all have those days, it's the little things that kill ya. but it's awesome when every thing goes right
Old 09-15-2007, 01:32 PM
HerrSavage

Even with the rotostart you can still have a day ended with a bad one-way bearing...

I have some decisions to make.. Right now my LST2 is running great. So is my Muggy with the Axial 28RR - though not as fast as I would like.. The Axial 28 Spec 1S in the Sav actually runs great too...

I'm curious though to see the RR run in the Savage, and to put my brand new LRP Spec 3 in the Muggy...

Lot o' work though...

(also thinking I'm gonna get a Picco 28 and JP3 for the LST2 when I go back to the States in October....)
Old 09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
-SomeGuy-

I hate those kind of days. Thats why its good to have a few friends who bring spare parts and we give out what others need and they replace it asap. Plus they help out with fixing to get you back up and running more quickly. You almost need an entire truck in parts to be safe [&:].
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM
HerrSavage

The dumb thing is - of course - I practically had half a truck with me - just not the rubber thingy....

I think I need to do some thorough work on the steering and throttle/brake servo, check the diffs, and basically give the whole a truck a good once-over.. With my 25 I just let'er die all at once, and never even got around to fixing it. The diffs, tranny, engine, and a few other bits just all crapped out basically all at once, so now it's sitting in parts in a box.. I've never really done a complete teardown on any of my RC's... Guess it might be that time....
Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 PM
cleek
Banned

are muggies any good im thinking abt buying one to replace my lst2
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 PM
HerrSavage

I like mine...., but I really haven't run it all that much yet...

My LST2 is actually my favorite truck...., and smokes the others in pretty much every category(except wheelying - the Sav rules that dept...)

The Mug though requires a new clutch and lighter smaller tires, so I don't know if it's ideal to buy new and RTR.. I got mine as a used roller already with some basic tuning on it - mud guards, Lunsford turnbuckles, carbon single-servo tray, etc...., so it was a good deal for me. I also like that quite a few parts are interchangeable with the LST2...

If you want something new get a Hyper ST truggy... I hear they're really tough and fast....

Here's my Mug...

Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM
cleek
Banned

thx im gonna look into the hyper truggie[8D]
Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
IL2mSturmovik

PatrickBW, I feel your pain. Some days Murphy just takes over
Old 09-15-2007, 05:03 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik

really!?!?!?!? hmm, i thought your Beloved LST2 was perfect and nothing never ever ever ever goes wrong with it?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: cleek

if your engine floods and yo keep crankin with a tiger drive or roto start ur going to break somthin so if u wanna be lazy go ahead cuz while u fixing ur truck ill be driving mine. when i comes to rc dont take short cuts!!!!! CLEEK
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

really!?!?!?!? hmm, i thought your Beloved LST2 was perfect and nothing never ever ever ever goes wrong with it?

The only thing that has "gone wrong" was a loose wheel Fixed inna jiffy. Other than that and the wing mounts nothing else at all has gone wrong or broken.
However, could it be POSSIBLE that this is not my 1st rc vehicle in my life?
Or, perhaps that many other things that I do/have done in my life have had murphy like days?
LIke drag racing?
Dirt bikes?
Rc airplanes?
Watched buddies with their Revos?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

I feel you guys, i fix one thing, something else brakes, now its my engine. I take a step forward, and get knocked 3 steps back.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that happen and it sucks. I replaced the throttle servo in my tower terror, and sealed the whole motor before running the truck, I used its heavy duty steering in place of the throttle servo, and put a super torque hobbico servo in place of the steering servo. It ran perfect through break in, it temped good and everything. I went out for my second session put all new batteries in etc, started fine, and it had a mind of its own steering wise. Shut it down took it back to the house, (a short walk) stripped out servo horn. fixed that, this time i fired it up in the yard the steering worked when it wanted to. You know what they say "**** happens"!!! I used to say that all the time until i stepped into a fresh pile of doggy doo doo old rover left in a unsuspecting place on floor, and in bare feet to boot!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Drmeff

yeah I had a day like that a couple days ago...

Locktite on all the important stuff and my front CVA fell out of my MGT in 3 minutes, oh well just ran 2wd the rest of the night. Broke a front suspension arm on the first tank (dummy me!) and destroyed my xtm 24.7 engine in my xterminator all in 30 minutes! That MGT was a trooper though, even with the missing front CVA, and broken suspension arm I ran almost a quart through it that night and got some sick air and did enough burnouts to wear some serious tread down, even managed to get some sparks to fly off the chassis as I bottomed it on a hugh front flip jump!

All good fun, but I would enjoy not spending 30+ bucks on parts after a night of running (not including the trashed engine!)
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: cleek

Huh? Pullstarts are the way to go if you know how to use it.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
ttoks

the only thing that annoys me about pull starts is every time i've had a car with one, the cord always gets burned through on the exhaust, the spin start on the losi's works well.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
black mamba

Pat, that Muggy looks nice with those Zombies.[8D]
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
jatoracing33

well, just got my jato back together...got everything back to normal. then i started it and it ran kinda sluggish for 10 secs then it stalled. though it was just rich so i leaned it a hair and went to start it. no luck. turns out stripped the threads on the crankcase that the head bolts go into. just my luck
Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, only stripped one head bolt out in my life.

Id appreciate the lessons on using the pull starts paticulary with the big blocks. I try to do what they say, crack the glow plugs loose, short pulls but prahd, prahd, aw %$#@, *&^%$!!!!!!!!

Roto start time!!! all feedback will be appreciated
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
megamaxx

i myself have not had much luck with pull starts,but recently i bought a wasp .28 and left pull start on,a dozen tanks so far,usually they break after 3 or four pulls,not to kid myself though,i know its coming,the rotostarts sittin in my box waiting.but there is also a down side to the roto starts,if you end up flooding the engine or a needle bearing in the OWB fails you'll be buying a new start shaft