Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

got my savage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 03:09 PM
RS4_3_ss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my savage

have any of you guys had a problem with the pullstart on your svage? I mean when i was starting mine so that i could run it through the first tank of gas it was so hard to pull it. is this because the pullstart isn't broken in? Like i had to pull as hard as i could to get it to come out!! Thanks, drew

p.s. I love my savage other than that!!!!
Old 03-22-2003, 03:39 PM
dfrazier
My Feedback: (9)

Default got my savage

Try loosening the glow plug. When you get too much fuel in the cylinder it will get real hard to pull. Loosening the glow plug will lower compression and also let it spit out extra fuel.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:42 PM
bigbadbowtie

Default got my savage

Its not recommended to do it but for the 1st few tanks you can back the glow plug out a few turns to release the compression. Once you get it started tight it back down. I had the same problem with my savage and it worked for me. You may want to replaced the glow plug after doing this because it will wear out the metal gasket that seals the plug to the head.

Good luck with your savage.

Here is a web page that has a TON of easy and quick things to check on... such as carb not opening all the way,cheap fixes for better breaks,ect ect

www.savage21.net
Old 03-22-2003, 03:50 PM
RS4_3_ss

Default got my savage

hey guys thanks alot for the info it worked great!!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:49 PM
creeping death

Default got my savage

pull start is hard to pull only because your motor is brand new, and every thing is very tight in the motor...once broken in and seated, it should be fairly easy to pullstart.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:26 PM
DFF

Default got my savage

No, when it is that hard to pull, that's because you hydro-locked your engine.

Hydro-lock: when the combustion chamber is full of fuel, it's impossible to turn the engine over. The reason is pretty simple, fuel+air can be squeezed in order to fit in a smaller volume, but that's a no-go for liquid like fuel only.

When you hydro-lock the engine, remove glow-plug, turn truck upside down to remove excess of fuel and then put your plug back-on.

Hope this help

DFF
Old 03-22-2003, 10:40 PM
scoXcel

Default got my savage

congratulations man!
Old 03-23-2003, 03:33 PM
bigbadbowtie

Default got my savage

DFF....... actually Creeping is right. That motor is VERY hard to start until it is broken in.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:47 PM
creeping death

Default got my savage

yea, mine was extremely hard to start, until I had a few tanks through it, then it became much easier...now, it pulls with no prob, and starts right up!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:56 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Default got my savage

Well, I can attest for this engine being one big pain to get started to break in. I have blisters on my left and right hand from trying to get that sucker going today. I just bought my Savage yesterday and trying to get it going so I can break it in has shown me that I am still prone to my childish temper tantrums (I'm 28). In fact, I have to buy a new glow starter from throwing it down so many times. I don't know why the mfg's can't break these engines in at least a little bit before they send them out. I think I'll really like this truck once I get it to the point of being able to start fairly easy, but man, it's definitely on my bad side right now.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:59 PM
LESLIEx317537
My Feedback: (1)

Default got my savage

I always scrape the side of my body when I pull the pull starter.

I allready cut 2 nics into the body. I think I'll need a new pull starter soon.

O, that give's me a idea..... I'll split fuel tubing and line the body where the pull start cord is. Nice!!!!!!!

BTW, I got blisters pulling my Savage starter when I first got it. I did loosen the glow pulg and all, and have a Nitro car allready. I think the engine is just bigger and harder to pull in general compared to my Nitro RS4.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59 AM
scoXcel

Default got my savage

Just make sure no dirt creeps in past the glow plug when you loosen it to start the engine. this can happen even if you are careful so i wouldnt reccommend getting into the habbit of doing it.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Wild Gopher

Default got my savage

i just bought a savage today as well. I will definately do what you guys said about loosening the glow plug. I look forward to bashing with my new toy. This will be my first monster truck and first off road vehicle since the original RC10.