Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

tmaxx starting problems - help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

tmaxx starting problems - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Doug Brindle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tmaxx starting problems - help!

Ok... here's my problem.

My tmaxx run's great, but getting it started is a pain.

I run an external ni-starter to put heat on the glow plug. I plug in the electric starter, and push the button, and the engine might turn over once before the gears in the starter motor assy just spin.

This started happening last year. I put a new one-way bearing in, and a new shaft-disk (the part the one-way bearing goes onto). That worked wonders for about a month...(maybe 12-15 tanks of fuel) then the same problem again.

I checked the gears in the starting assy, everything looks good. I take the whole back end of the engine apart, and clean everything with alcohol, and the thing starts like a champ. I run a tank of fuel thru it, no problems.... but the next time I try to start it ...same thing, it just spins the gears, like the one-way bearing is slipping.

I don't want to have to put one-way bearings in every month, and It's getting very old -taking the engine out of the truck, and taking the whole back end off just to clean it out (I'm just cleaning off fuel/oil residue...nothing excessive!)

Any ideas what's going on? and how to fix it once and for all?
-Doug Brindle
Old 04-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Jbbxxxnt

I have the same problem with my mach .15 on my xxx nt. Already replaced it and started acting up again quickly. I have even tried using a brillo pad on the shaft that goes through the bearing and to no avail. I would like to know the answer to this also.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

All you can do is keep cleaning the shaft the one way bearing goes on.

If it gets oily, which it does, the one way bearing slips. Those bearings are about 25.00 each and i cant see where a new one works any better than an old one.

I clean mine with alcohol. Its seems to grip better once the engine is warm.

Would be nice if there was an access hole so you could just squirt some alcohol in a hole instead of having to take evrything apart.

Joe
Old 04-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Jbbxxxnt

I have heard of some people drilling holes in the cover over the pull start or whatever but my engine the bearing is inside the backplate so it is a real pain in the ass to take the backplate off every time to clean it. I would lose compression if I drill holes in it. So I guess I am pretty much screwed.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Doug Brindle

There's one idea I had thought of, but haven't tried yet....

I thought about spray-welding the shaft that the one-way bearing slides onto, and then grinding it back to size -but slightly oversize. This would make the bearing fit really tight, and maybe it woudn't slip.

That may be a little hard to do...not much to hold onto to grind....

So I've also thought about using some silver solder, and putting a very light layer of silver solder on the shaft to do the same thing.... but I don't know how "hard" silver solder is... it may wear off very quickly.

Just a thought....