Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Dual Exhaust Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 04:57 PM
DURANODIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Pics

I finally got pics of my dual exhaust setup. I cut the whole works out last night as it was finally decided that dual exhaust is not necessarily all that great. I started the CVEC install. That should be more powerful, less headache, but dirtier. Oh well...part of the whole experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68111_31162.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	41378  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:59 PM
DURANODIC

Default and another view...

same thing, different angle

Name:	68113_31162.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	41379  
Old 04-04-2003, 05:02 PM
DURANODIC

Default and finally...

...with the body on. Excuse the body. It's in the middle of a paint job. It's a hard shell from a cheesey Radio Shack model on closeout. I'll get some pics when I'm done with the paint job.

Name:	68114_31162.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	41380  
Old 04-04-2003, 06:45 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Wow...
Just talked about this the other day and your already done?!

You sure do talk the talk AND walk the walk!!

Good work there buddy!!
-ram
Old 04-04-2003, 07:02 PM
DURANODIC

Thanks dude. Finally somebody appreciates all the time I spend in the basement on my workbench! My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. I'm always in the way - parts, boxes, etc. spread everywhere - makes doing laundry a pain! Oh well. It was kinda sad tearing all that out of there. I really liked the way it looked. I wish I had some action pics. It looked evil screaming across the yard with two blue/grey tails coming out of the tailpipes. I guess the CVEC will look pretty good too.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:45 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
You sure do talk the talk AND walk the walk!!
but can he Pee while standing up?

btw thats from the Movie Little Giants
Old 04-04-2003, 09:39 PM
DURANODIC

Last I checked I could. No guarantees for later on though! It is Friday afternoon.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:30 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Man.. I wish we all lived in the same neighborhood. Then I'll say.. screw women. I'll go to school, work and have fun with R/C and call it life lol
What I'd give to see that thing in action!!!
ram
Old 04-07-2003, 05:39 PM
JeDi_MaStEr

Duster71, 1st off nice job..2cnd, I noticed you extended the exhaust from the tip of the muffler using copper piping and some basic welding..I have thought about doing the same to get the exhaust out thr rear but I thought the 'homemade' tubing idea would hurt perfomrance..have you lost any at all? or gained any performance?

Also, did you just use standard copper tubing? anything special?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 PM
DURANODIC

JeDi_MaStEr

Thanks. The performance seemed to be better. I don't know if I just lucked out or what, but it did seem to make it a little quicker. I had a tough time tuning it though. Keep in mind, the weather was much different than the last time I ran the car, before installing the pipes. I don't know if the weather made that much difference, but it took some adjusting. Then the car became inconsistent, and I couldn't get a solid run out of it, regardless of weather or different fuel.

Make sure that the tubing you use is bigger than the outlet on the pipe, so you don't change the backpressure. That way, all you will be doing is diverting the exhaust. The stuff I used did affect backpressure, even though it was larger diameter, hence the tuning and performance changes. I used brass fittings, brass pipe, and made the corners with copper water pipe fittings, then "welded" them with a torch and solder.

After discussing it on the this site, I just decided to scrap the whole project. The backpressure changes, whatever they were, did affect the way the engine ran. Also, when I ran the tuned pipe's outlet upward, I noticed alot of unburned fuel and oil collecting in the tuned pipe. I thought about putting a "tap" in the bottom of the pipe that I could use to drain it, but finally just gave up the whole works. In the discussion I mentioned, Dlock used a CVEC pipe on his T-Maxx, but it mounted left to right with a kit that he bought. That way, the pipes pointed out the back. It looked pretty slick, but I couldn't mount mine that way, so I'm back to "old school".

Good luck with your project. If you have any more questions let me know. I'll help you out with what I can.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:23 PM
JeDi_MaStEr

Thanks for the reply, I'm giving it some thought..I'll let you know if I go 4 it and how it turns out..
Old 04-08-2003, 02:47 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

You know..
Hows this

IF the end of the pipe is wider than the rest of it.. it should help in sucking the gases out just like the pipe does.
so in the end, instead of just letting it out.. I think it'll help if you flare it out and then get slightly narrow again

Check out the BMP file Attached below:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
69103_22856.bmp (55.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-08-2003, 04:22 PM
LandShark

can the pipe still spit out the extra fuel?
Old 04-08-2003, 04:27 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

well as long as the pipe doesnt go twist up n down, I dont see a problem with oil clogging up the pipe.

No matter what, you gotta admit its the coolest thing to have smoke coming out the back out of 2 nice shiny tips just like a read car. Especially if the car is a 1/10 or 1/8 onroad! Those .21 engines put out a very attractive volume of smoke! lol

ram
Old 04-08-2003, 04:57 PM
DURANODIC

The problem is that the existing tuned pipe needs to point upward, unless you want to route the pipes underneath the frame. Maybe that design that BUGGIES had will create enough flow to carry that unburned fuel and oil out with the exhaust. If the flared ends work, in terms of alleviating backpressure, then the only conceivable problem I see would be buildup in the pipe. Maybe there would be enough flow to blow that out too. If it works, let me know. I really thought the whole concept was very, very cool, hence my "doomed" experiment. Of course, wouldn't a tap in the bottom, that could be opened and closed, work? Assuming you could seal it off airtight. Assuming that there would be buildup with BUGGIES design. Assuming I talk too much. Assuming I should leave this reply well enough alone.