Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

what do i need?truggy or monster truck?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

what do i need?truggy or monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 AM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need?truggy or monster truck?

i am looking to buy one soon.i was thinking either the aftershock or the mutilator.both arround 400 bucks.only thing is i cant decide what will run best at my bash spot?and what has a higher speed?im new and i dont want to make a mistake.most people say the onster is cool but at my bash spot it is just a field,no real jumps or annything.and i am thinking the mutilator is lighter so it might be faster but then he aftershock has 2 speed soi dont know.i just want to have fun.i narrowed my choice down to those 2 because the lhs allways has parts in stock.so i need your advice! help me out,what one do you think i will have more fun with?will the truggy jump and handle the rough stuff as well as the losi?will the losi handle as good as the truggy?if not how much difference is there.does annyone have a monster truck and a truggy?what is it like driving them?is one more enjoyable?also which one will use more gas?what i really need to know is what are the limitations of each and what are the streingths of each?like say my bash spot is just a field and a few grassy knowls so basicly i am just looking for the fastest and most durrable for running at high speed in the grass?how will the differ in driving feel?can you guys help me out.i would hate to make the wrong decision!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 AM
ttoks

Default RE: what do i need?truggy or monster truck?

i have quite a few monster trucks, and one truggy, i have an LST2 which is the same chassis as the aftershock, but different engine, a arms, wheels tires ect.

in my opinion for everything but rock crawling, a truggy is superior, the aftershock is a two speed, but is also 13 pounds to a truggy 8.5ish, a truggy's chassis is much more simple then a monster truck, is stronger, and is easier to work on, the center of gravity being so low makes then corner very well, and very easy to control in the air, and the flat chassis allows them to slide over rough terrain if the bottom out, so will handle rougher terain better then a monster truck as well.

i do suggest however to look into the thunder tiger ST-1, see if your LHS will stock parts for them, as they are the best value for money there is at the moment, a main hobbies has them for $289, if you wish you can also get a two speed for them for top speed which replaces the center differential.

heres a pic of all my land based RC's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38065.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	819575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28328.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	819576  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 AM
snoking16

hopefully i get the ST-1 for christmas...if not ill have to buy one later.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One advantage of an MT is the versatility it offers with respect to the varieties of terrain you can drive on.. Put simply, you can drive better in grass that's not golf-course short..

I think if most of you're running's gonna be on grass, get the Aftershock.. I have an LST2 and a Muggy, and like both VERY VERY much...

For pure bashing though, I can't imagine ANY 1/8 RC better than the LST2... It's just so smooth, it's huge so you can drive wherever you want(practically), and it's tough.. All it needs is a Dynamite engine-brace(though the New Era roll-bar and RPM arms are a nice eventual upgrade..) It's fast too.. Stock for stock, I think the Aftershock will be faster from a standstill to top end, and prob have more top-end anyway..

Truggies are cool, but I'm skeptical of all the talk going around that they're better at everything than MT's...

If you're never gonna run on a track, I say MT...
Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for grassy fields i say pick the MT. your going to want more ground clearencs and bigger tires to get thru the grass. truggies are race bred so if your not going to race it why get it. a truggy will never replace a MT for off road bashing thru rough terrain
Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM
[email protected]

I don't have a truggy but I have a few monster trucks and they are a lot of fun. I go to construction sites when I can and bash, I did at one time keep one mt in my truck at all times ready to go if something looked cool to bash. I think and this is just me if you'r just having fun go with an mt (not that a truggy is no fun) now if you'r racing a truggy is best. also when I was in soft sand the mt went ok cause of the big tires IDK if a truggy with the small tires would do to good.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
ttoks

not trying to cause an augment, but don't doubt a truggies abilities over rough terain unless you've driven one on rough terain, after getting my 8ight T i don't drive my LST2, revos or muggy anymore, the LST2 gets raced (got a few bits and pieces for that, tires and such) but thats about it, for 3 weekends of a month i bash my truggy instead of the MT's for one main reason, i've never broken ANYTHING on my truggy that wasn't from general ware and tear, and it handles the terrain much better then even the LST2 unless you start looking at rock crawling kinda terrain, anything you can carry 10 MP/h over a truggy is more stable for, for simple field bashing i suggest the ST-1 (keep in mind that the outside diameter of a set of truggy wheels are exactly the same as a set of standard size MT tires, just narrower)
Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM
HerrSavage

Don't you do most of your bashing on a track though? No way a truggy with a lower COG and smaller tires and flat chassis can get through taller grass as well as an LST2 with huge tires and more clearance..

And face it, when it comes to bashing, now and then taller grass is unavoidable.. In that sense an MT is simply more versatile...

Here's a pic comparing the size of some LST2-size tires(from a Lightning GT..) - the LST2 tires have the same height... - to some Dirt Bonz(smallish MT tires - basically truggy-size...) The difference is significant...

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
horeable

it really does depend on how smooth the field is. Truggies really can go over alot of terrain, just as much as a smaller mt like a revo. they also weight alot less than a mt so they usually accelerate better and jump better(jumping is most of the fun in bashing).
not to mention you can turn way better. besides if you really need more ground clearance you can add monster tires to it. Not only that but if you want to run on a track you would at least have something decent. So i guess i would vote for the truggy.

unless your terrain is pretty rough or rocky or the grass is really high, which in that case I might choose a monster truck.

I like the aftershock as a monster truck choice, but not sure if i would choose the mutilator for a truggy.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
bigairlife

I have a savage, and a Muggy (Truggy) and used to have a LST. I like my muggy WAY better because it is faster, drivetrain is more reliabe, can easily handle tall grass because the muggy is a cross betreen a MT and a buggy, not a truck and a buggy Also, the hanlding is WAY better than any other MT, and it is just as durable, if not more durable than any other MT. the only thing it needs out of the box, is a 12 tooth vented clutch bell. 12$ and u r good to go The ST-1 is also great, but for bashing, I think the Muggy is the ultimate Bashing truggy
Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 AM
HerrSavage

New Muggys come with a 12T CB BTW...
Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 AM
ttoks

yes it is a track, but no it isn't an RC track, it's a BMX track, plenty rough, plenty of grass, [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh9VH6S9Sk]heres[/link] a small video, i'm driving a muggy and 8ight T in the vid, the muggy is fun [8D]
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 AM
HerrSavage

Looks like you bash'em pretty good.. And the 8T stands up to all that??

I was THIS close to getting an 8T, but went Hyper ST Pro instead, mostly just cuz I wanted to build a kit over the winter.. But one of the things that I was hearing in 8T forums was that the parts wear out fast.. Is that your experience too? I still like them a lot..
Old 12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
ttoks

the bushes in the Ackerman wear fairly fast (just replaced mine at 5 gallons) and the front center dog bone wares quickly as well because of the angle it's (the center diff isn't in the middle of the chassis), about 5 gallons as well on that and it needs rebuilding, but other then that it's been pretty good, still on the original wheel bearings, the main clutch bell bearing, as soon as i got it i replaced both servos though coz i had two good one laying around, if you don't have the EPA right on the throttle and brake it will crew through them.

and i've been bashing harder then in that vid lately after getting some more confidence with it, i've broken one part in 5 gallons, a rear Axel carrier, and it landed sideways on the rear wheel to do that, so yeah it stands up to it all very well.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
bigairlife

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

New Muggys come with a 12T CB BTW...
I know but you will still need the vented one or you will melt ur shoes. I got the vented 12 tooth and the stock clutch shoes & springs have lasted me 1.5 gallons
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
jombo

i like monster trucks to bash with but i can race the lst2 also , but for all out racing the truggy would be best. but for all out brute force and huge tires nothing beats a monster truck
Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM
rhylsadar

hi

imo there dozens of criteria to consider (parts availabilty, cars of your rc friends, how you like the look of the car, place to drive, tuning parts, price, following costs etc etc). so there will never be a general "best" decision. there will only be a subjective 'best' decision for you personally. and thats good so. i can fully understand that one doesn't want to make a 'mistake'. but in the end you must decide on your own and live with your decision. only thing the forum is good for is to collect as much information you can.

concerning the 'boring' truggy vs monster discussion i can feel crawling up here once again. imo this argueing is mistaken. because it is mostly based on kind of 'performance' critera arguments like: this truck or truggy can do this or that better etc etc. the reason why imho this is misleading is that it misses the main and most important point: rc driving is for (i guess) 99.7% of all of us pure hobby and therefore only ONE criteria counts, namely FUN FUN AND FUN! thats all the whole thing is about. simple as that. if you have fun with a monster. fine. if you have fun with a losi micro t. fine......

just my 2 cents.
bye
rhylsadar

Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
bigairlife

Great post. /\ Very true
Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
snoking16

yeah....i have the micro t and micro DT and i have just as much fun with those inside my house as i do with my revo...and i hope i will be getting the 8ight T or the TT ST-1 soon....im sure ill have pleanty of fun with those too.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 PM
bigairlife

Muggy POWER!!! My Muggy is a BEAST!!! Lemme upload some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43044.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	820671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14650.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	820672  
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM
jonnymobil

yea i like the way the muggy looks but for only having one speed it is a bit heavy,it goes through clutches in about 3 tanks.ad i really like the st1 but i dont think i can get parts for it.i have learned my lesson for good about going with rare vehicles.i have a hot bodies lightning 10 that no one can get the parts for and it i a currently sold model.if someone can get me the front end part i need i will make i worth your while.and i was also thinking of the kyosho inferno st readyset.only 400 and the radio seems nice.but again can i get parts.does annyone have the st1?i mean for 289 its a steal.but where can i get parts for it?and also what about the monster mt?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
mtbkym01

I'm sure amain would have a decent parts supply for the ST-1
Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
bigairlife

ORIGINAL: jonnymobil

yea i like the way the muggy looks but for only having one speed it is a bit heavy,it goes through clutches in about 3 tanks.ad i really like the st1 but i dont think i can get parts for it.i have learned my lesson for good about going with rare vehicles.i have a hot bodies lightning 10 that no one can get the parts for and it i a currently sold model.if someone can get me the front end part i need i will make i worth your while.and i was also thinking of the kyosho inferno st readyset.only 400 and the radio seems nice.but again can i get parts.does annyone have the st1?i mean for 289 its a steal.but where can i get parts for it?and also what about the monster mt?
NOT TRUE!!! It comes with a 12 tooth CB and you only need a 12 tooth VENTED cb and the stock clutch will last about 2-3 gallons with stock clutch and tires and wheels
Old 12-08-2007, 12:59 AM
jonnymobil

yea?my buddy says he replaces em all the time.and they are a bit expensive,550 for a muggy and it only has an am radio?what do you guys think about the kyosho us sports?or the ofna mutilator?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 AM
HerrSavage

I must say, for somebody trying to decide between a truggy and MT, the Muggy is an awfully logical solution.. The Mug is a great truck - it's tough and looks fantastic.. Get some lighter tires and as mentioned a vented CB and you're good to go..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.