Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How much power is safe for Savage

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How much power is safe for Savage

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Sad, little man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power is safe for Savage

I'm still thinking about a Savage since I've had such a bad expirience with my last Duratrax (Lately it's been run 5 mins, break part, spend wayyyy too much money getting a new one shipped, wait a week on shipping, run 5 mins, break part, rinse and repeat.) I'm thinking that if I shove that voice in my head that says "You're spending $600 on a toy" into the back of my head, I'd like to do a wild engine swap in the Savage. I'm wondering how big of an engine can be done that will still be completely safe for the mechanics of the truck. I've seen some .25s done, but being me I'd like a newer and better .26. So...

A) How big of an engine can I safely drop in? I really don't want a repeat of my last truck because breaking parts every 5 minutes is awful when you have no decent LHS.

B) What do I have to choose from in the .26 range? If I go .25, I think it'd be the Ofna Force 25. I see Team Orion has an upcoming .26 Wasp, is that all there is?

I'm open to doing some upgrades to the gears etc (if there are any, which I'm not sure there are) considering the upgrades wouldn't be too expensive and hard to put in. (I really think I'll be spending a good $700 on this once it's all said and done.) And BTW, anyone want to buy an unused Nirto Star .21 engine with pipe in about a month? Well, maybe you shouldn't respond to that in this forum.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Letsskydive

Every thing i have is good stuff .25s are fine unless you want spend more moeny for a .26 get everything i have
Old 04-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Sad, little man

Well it looks like you have nothing drivetrain wise. So that means all the stock stuff will hold up to a .25 or .26?
Old 04-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Letsskydive

well i do have universal dog bones and unverisal driveshafts but the stocks work fine for all about 3 weeeks a trocher
Old 04-07-2003, 05:40 AM
SixVi6-Camaro

get the heavy dust dog bones and a better clutch if you are putting in a new engine on the savage.

I've told both my friends to get HD bones before they droped in a 247 but nooooo.. they siad the stock ones would hold up because the guy at the LHS said so. first day out they both snaped the stock bones on the first tank leaving them to sit out during an entire day of bashing. since then both of them replaced them with the HD bones and has not had a problem since.

power wise I've seen vids of savages with RB C5's with no hop ups other than HD bones, Hot Bodies center drives, and a good clutch. the driveline should hold up fine with whatever engine you put in there.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Unstable

I agree, get the HD dog bones, replace the clutch, and get a video camera cause we all want to see it go after you are done
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

If you dont want it to break, dont put an overszed engine in. Keep the nitro star untill it gets boring or needs replacing.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Savage is built to handle big block motors. The only thing that gets busted is the dogbones. You would have to spend $1000 on any other truck to keep up with a Savage with a Force .25 or a Hyper 8 port motor for $125. Yes, it is that good.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by Avalanche
The Savage is built to handle big block motors. The only thing that gets busted is the dogbones. You would have to spend $1000 on any other truck to keep up with a Savage with a Force .25 or a Hyper 8 port motor for $125. Yes, it is that good.

why would you have to spend 1000 dollars on a mt to keep up with a 8 port savage?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nitroman88
why would you have to spend 1000 dollars on a mt to keep up with a 8 port savage?

"Keep Up?" what do you mean? Top Speed?......I sure hope not. If so you should get an on road or a buggy. I said "handle with" The Savage has the most race ready suspension of any truck out. Once you drop an aftermarket engine in it, its a perfect package and will smoke most anything (MT) on the track.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 AM
savageone

Long live the Savage King!!! lol
Old 04-08-2003, 12:07 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Originally posted by Avalanche
"Keep Up?" what do you mean? Top Speed?......I sure hope not. If so you should get an on road or a buggy. I said "handle with" The Savage has the most race ready suspension of any truck out. Once you drop an aftermarket engine in it, its a perfect package and will smoke most anything (MT) on the track.
uh hate to burst your bubbel but a high ground clearance prevents it from racing with the MP :O thats why they won the monster truck shoot out... :O
Old 04-08-2003, 05:46 PM
j.d.roxx

Casey, which monster truck shoot-out? And what trucks were in it?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:22 PM
hoodiegadoo

the MP is more of a ST with big tires, all wheel drive, and a bigger engine.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:06 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Originally posted by j.d.roxx
Casey, which monster truck shoot-out? And what trucks were in it?
my mistake it was the dominator, and the MP is a 1/8 scale buggy chassis with monster truck tires... how is that anything like a big ST? thats like claiming a 1/8 buggy is a ST jus bigger with a different body and engine.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 PM
DFF

Yes, after a few (not too expensive) upgrade, you can throw any engine in the Savage without breaking parts.

I got a C5 and here are my advices:

1- Get a clutch. Stock clutch will burn quick with a powerfull engine. Either MIP for MP7.5 with the stock flywheel or a 3 shoes setting like the serpent clutch. BTW, I am running the new Fiorini clutch...

2- Get a set of new rims. The stock rims are weak at the adapter area and I rounded both back rims within a few tanks. you shoud be good with any quality rims like the Proline for example.

3- Get the HPI Heavy Duty dogbones (all four corners, doesn't exist for the front / rear center) or the HB CVDs. I got the HB CVDs and they hold up well. Just secure the pins by making flat on them with a dremel in order to seat the set screw better. Using a second set screws is a good thing too. Heat-shrink tubing for extra safety.

4- Tighten your slipper, otherwise the spur will melt.

That's it !

Everything else will hold up fine but you should take apart your tranny part on a regular basis for maintenance and inspection.

Hope this help

DFF
Old 04-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Sad, little man

And let's say I wanted to lose all sanity and throw a Rody modified RB engine in it? Still possible?
Old 04-09-2003, 03:03 PM
DFF

Sure ! Why not ?

But be aware that a RB C5-B modified Rody and modified pull start is like twice the price of the Savage RTR

Only my 0.02 euro

DFF
Old 04-09-2003, 03:09 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

In this case.. a "crude" 454 V8 will do the job better than a highly tuned 4 banger..

I think the displacement will provide enough to outweigh any performance gains with the RC5. And I bet it costs like what half as much?!
ram
Old 04-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Sad, little man

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
In this case.. a "crude" 454 V8 will do the job better than a highly tuned 4 banger..
You really think? I heard someone else around here claiming an 80mph Ofna Pirate with one of those tuned .21s. But... meh. I think the real decision is do I save for a looooooong time and buy all the goodies at once, or do I buy a Savage and have a little fun until I can upgrade to a .26? If I use the stock motor at all, I'll lose a whole lot of resale value of the engine right off the bat.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:12 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well the tuned engines generally have MUCH better high end speed. dont get me wrong..some Formula 1 Engines have very LOW displacement.. like 2 liters but they spin at speeds up to 17,00 RPM!! So they more than make up with that.
Prolly pull around 600-1000 HP.

But.. think about the price!! I recently bought a Rossi Black Magic. That baby was 325 bucks.. and thats CHEAP for that engine (new). Agreed, that baby has the throttle response of a typical .12. But.. I bet you 5 bucks.. you can slap in a .26, and if your a better driver than me, you can easily beat me!
And guess what you paid about half as much as me for that engine!

See what I mean?

Engine manufacturors dont say ANYTHING about torque.

A Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorcycle claims 150 HP. My dad's Honda Accord puts out 150HP. One is 996CC..other is 2400. What gives?!! Torque... it makes a huge difference!
HP is Torque applied over time, and since the R1 revvs like a *@#$*, it can haul some serious butt!
(Now I just know some Gixxer is gonna come in and start dissin the R1 here..lol)

Again.. thats my take. I beg you to differ
-ram