Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Kyosho GP Wild Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 04:33 PM
ExtremeRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho GP Wild Dodge Ram

I was wondering if anyone has added bigger shocks to the Wild Dodge ram and what i need to do it. Also is there any aluminum shock towers for that truck. I think the Shock towers are a bit weak for bashing around the track. Has anyone tried a bigger bumper on that truck something like an RPM that would work???

Thank you
Old 04-07-2003, 07:13 PM
DURANODIC

I have a Kyosho Wild Dodge Ram, and I couldn't agree with you more....the suspension needs upgrading. So far, I haven't seen anything specifically for this kit, but I haven't looked too hard. I'm thinking about just retrofitting an entire suspension package, from a different kit, onto the frame. I haven't looked into it yet (I have about three projects going), but it will be done eventually. Let me know if you come up with anything, or you wanna shoot the breeze about it.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:05 PM
ExtremeRC

right now i am gona go stiffer springs and diff oil.. I think i am gona ask my LHS if they have any ideas because i need better sus. I would like to also find aluminum shock stays for it.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:12 PM
ExtremeRC

Default yo duster

I got new springs and oil for the Ram. I got HPI Black medium springs they are really nice and make the suspension so much stiffer and not bottom to bad. I also got trinity 50 weight oil to help it out. Some other minor things were get thicker fuel like and a fuel filter!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:27 PM
DURANODIC

Thats cool, ExtremeRC. I'd like to actually put on new arms so I can get more travel. Then I'd need new dogbones, new shocks, new towers, etc., etc. You know the routine... Anyway, glad that your upgrades worked out for you. I want to make mine a mud bogger and/or a rock crawler. I want it to have very soft suspension with alot of "give", and obviously more travel. I'm also going to put a water cooling system on it. I have all the parts, just a matter of sitting down and doing it. Then I'm going to build a rollcage to protect the whole works. I'm way into customizing everything I own, there just aren't enough hours in the day. Currently, mine is just barely broken in, so I'll probably run it as is for a while. I'll get some pics on the progress of the whole project...if I ever start!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:26 AM
ExtremeRC

Default Duster

I am just gona custom aluminum arms for mine. i think i figured out a way yo get maxx arms on it. I also wana put the Mad Force or Maxx shocks on it it would look cool i think.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:55 PM
DURANODIC

Hey Extreme,

I started a rollcage for mine last night. I was out running it and it took a fartknocker, broke a rear body post, scratched the head, and loosened the plug wire. So, I made two aluminum rear body posts for it, then decided to fab a rollcage. I'll get some pics of it when I'm done. As far as suspension, I've done nothing....but it still needs it. That thing won't jump worth a damn. Actually it jumps fine, but landings are a different story (remember the aforementioned fartknocker?). How do the Maxx arms mount up? Shoot me some pics when you get done.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:39 PM
ExtremeRC

Yo i got OFNA Pirate 10 Shocks on mine now and i just plasma torched my aluminum shocks towers out. Next thing is the O.S. CV-R .15
Old 04-15-2003, 02:32 PM
DURANODIC

Sweet! You got any pics of that badboy? I'd like to see that.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 AM
ExtremeRC

not yet still in assembly procces not much time to work on it so i do what i can
Old 04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
ExtremeRC

yo duster i am getting this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVZ0
its an upgraded head and it suposed to boost hp and better cooling. Do u have any problems with ur one way bearing on ur car cause i don't know about your but mine slips like crazy
Old 04-23-2003, 04:48 PM
DURANODIC

No problems yet. I probably don't have as much run time on it as you though. Most of the time I have spent with it has been on the bench. Last weekend I put full Duratrax ST suspension under it, changed the tires, built shock stays, etc. It took some time, but it sits a little higher and wider now. I'll post some pics when I get them. As far as cooling, I'm going to liquid cool mine. I have a marine head that I'm going to install, then run Prestone through a homemade radiator, and cycle it through the head. It should work pretty slick. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for keeping in touch.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:59 PM
ExtremeRC

Duster can u get me a link to duratrax suspension you got and what tires did u get. I wana get new tires and rims. I was curious how did u get it wider. Well i went racing at a track with it yesterday and ni beat a few rustlers. I add hitec 645 mg steering servo and now i can actully steer. Either give me links to tires and suspension or get me some pics. Thx
Old 04-25-2003, 06:39 PM
DURANODIC

Default Kyosho QRC Suspension

Extreme,

No pics of the finished product yet, but I promise, I'll do it. I bought a used dirtbag Duratrax ST off ebay for $100 and stripped it. I would recommend buying a rolling chassis with intact suspension, so you can use what you need. I kinda got screwed on the one I bought, but I REALLY wanted it! It was cheaper than buying the pieces individually, plus you never know what you can use off the doner. All said, the pieces individually (brand new) would be $153.17.

I'll do my best to explain what I did, but forgive me if it seems unclear. When I get some pics, I'll diagram it out and try to show what I did. It isn't alot wider, but I didn't want to go too large, as I want this to be a rock crawler. I gave up on the mud bogger for this project. I'll get you some specs on width, clearance, etc. from before and after the mod so you can decide if you want to do the same thing as me.

I had to cut the A arms where they mount a little bit, maybe 1/4 inch, to get them to fit on the Kyosho brackets. Then I cut up the Duratrax shock stays and retrofitted them to the mounts on the Kyosho. I ended up using two Duratrax front shock stays on the front (lucked out and had an extra), and I cut up the rear Duratrax shock stay and mounted it to the back of the Kyosho in two pieces. The shocks are pretty much verticle, and they are threaded so you have alot of adjustment.

I used the servo saver on the Kyosho, but had to make arms to attach the Duratrax front hub carriers to the Kyosho servo savor. Then I made new control arms for the front, used Duratrax control arms for the back, and mounted them to existing holes that were on the Kyosho. It's hard to explain how I did it, without pictures, but it all fell into place as I went. The dogbones are all Duratrax MT or ST - they are the same. I ordered Duratrax Maximum MT CVD's for the front, but I haven't had problems with the Dogbones coming out yet, so you may not need them.

I put some old MT tires and rims that I had laying around on it and that also helped with the width and clearance. It's pretty stable. You can crank the wheels at full speed and it won't roll, whereas before it looked like it wanted to.

I'll get some pictures this weekend for you. I'm working on a diagram that will hopefully show you how I did it. If you want the parts list, I have it written down. But, like I said it will cost about $153 from Tower Hobbies. Here is a picture of the new suspension from the ST, before I mounted it. If I were you, I would start looking for a used Duratrax Maximum ST . I'm sure other suspension from other rigs would work, but this is obviously the only one I'm familiar with. I'd be happy to help you out with the modification. Just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73653_31162.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	41775  
Old 04-25-2003, 09:37 PM
ExtremeRC

yea duster send me the parts list and that pic u showed me is that what u put onto the ram? If it is how did u get the diffs in it?? I like ur ideas though i need to get it wider. I go on track a lot and i don't wana get another car i just wana modify. went u get pics let me see how it all mounts up. Thx
Old 04-25-2003, 10:58 PM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

hey im wondering stock is this any good???? or not really?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:53 PM
DURANODIC

Extreme,

I'm compiling all my stuff for you. I'll get you some pics of the finished product tonight when I get home. I'm at my office right now, so I don't have anything. I got your parts list written up, I drew you a diagram, and I think with pictures of the finished product, you should be able to do the conversion fairly easily. I will also get you before and after specs (once I measure everything). I will try and get you this stuff as soon as I can. Just let me know where you want me to send it. I have it all on my computer. The parts list is in Microsoft Excel, the diagram is a JPEG and the pics of the completed truck will be JPEGS also. I can either send it via email or print it up and "snail mail" it to you. Just let me know.

In regard to fitting the diffs in, I just used the existing ones on the Kyosho. I modified the Duratrax ST suspension arms, just a little, and mounted them right to the chassis. It sounds worse than it really is. You will probably need a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Also, the only reason I suggested getting another car, is because it may be cheaper to buy a used car and take parts from it. Either way, I have the list done for you.

Just shoot me a message and let me know what you want me to do.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
DURANODIC

Originally posted by packerfan3001
hey im wondering stock is this any good???? or not really?
No, stock it isn't that bad. It needed new suspension though. For the price it's kind of a neat little truck. The QRC unit is really tough. You can jam it into reverse at a pretty good pace, and it just pops right in. It says on the box that it was made to do that, and I haven't damaged anything yet. If your going too fast it will pop right in and start doing cartwheels. The review says that it will go a solid 25 mph, and their is also a two speed available. Obiously it doesn't have anything on some of the big boys, (ie T-Maxx, Savage, etc.) but for the price it's pretty decent. The QRC unit is also modifiable. You can change the linkage, lock out reverse, and use the brakes that are already installed on the QRC transmission. It's different.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	74287_31162.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	41776  
Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 PM
ExtremeRC

duster send it to my email [email protected] and just make subject ram so i dont delete it by mistake