Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT 8.0 FOC notice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:49 PM
ThermalRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 8.0 FOC notice!

Just thought i'd let you guys know, that the current FOC conversion is not "entirely" compatible with the new 8.0. When you get to step #9 there is a pin pulled from the shaft that holds the 2 speed housing, it gets moved down to the NEW FOC shaft, and a spacer goes up to the shaft with the 2 speed housing. That pin does NOT fit the current FOC shaft. The new MGT 8.0 uses beefed up tranny pins. They will NOT fit in that FOC shaft. Just thought i'd share that with you guys. I'll drop AE an e-mail for now, to see if we will be getting an updated FOC shaft, that'll accept that larger pin. Figured i'd save some of you guys the trouble i just went thru, to find this out. LOL
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
binaryterror

Default RE: MGT 8.0 FOC notice!

Drill it out with a drill bit the right size, heck you can even use the Roto-Start gun as the drill.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Bria1

I wouldn't drill that FOC shaft, I'd just use a smaller pin like the Traxxas pin I told you about before. It's held up great in my MGT.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
ThermalRD

Ya, im not drilling that out. Brian, so i take it you've broken those pins before? Im hoping AE makes an updated FOC for this truck. But we'll see. Either way, i'll have it figured out.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Bria1

Ya, the pins AE uses for the FOC shaft and 2-speed shaft in the .21 and .28 versions are known for breaking. Everyone seems to have good luck with the Stampede wheel axle pins being used there.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
ThermalRD

Well, unfortunately theres more bad news about this FOC issue. So issue one was the transmission pin. Beefed up for the new tranny, not fitting the old school FOC shaft. So i acquired a tranny pin set, and went at it again today. Did every step, then got to thepart where i had to close the case. Ya know, the part where you're relieved its over with. lol. Well that wasnt the case. When you try to seal up everything, you'll notice it simply doesnt fit. Not having an MGT 4.6, or a .21 MGT here to compare, i hadnt realized just how much the tranny internals had changed. Heres what you'll run into, if you attempt this FOC on an 8.0 MGT.

First off, lets point out the issues at hand... Issue number one. See what im pointing to with this screwdriver? This whole area has generally been reinforced. That plate stands out from the main case. I did not find that plate removable.

Issue number two... This area here is reinforced for the main shaft. It holds a bearing, and its roughly a half inch thick... This one, IS removable.

Here she is, out of the case.

If you put that together the way the manual states, with that last brace out of the tranny, you'll still have roughly a 2mm, or more gap between the case halves. Aside from that, you'll lose nearly ALL of the extra strength tranny they built in to the 8.0... So im real glad i could guinea pig this for the rest of the world. lol. I cant wait to call AE about this.

Simply put, the old FOC was designed around the old case, with the old measurements. This case does not share those same measurements...