Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New Warhead, long time to start...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New Warhead, long time to start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 PM
JDV500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Warhead, long time to start...

my new evo truck here takes a real long time to ignite and catch on. long as in sometimes a full battery charge on the hand-held kwik-starter, lots of rpms, while giving it just a bit higher then idle throttle on the controller. NOW, the kwik-start gearing at the engine is skipping/ free-wheeling due to wear. i fell that i've worn the starter gearing out or nearing that point. i know i could resort to a starter box to eliminate the parts wearing, but what can i do to get it to catch on faster.??
it cranks and idles pefectly. the local dealer here say's to run an os#8 type glow plug in it as it is a general/all purpose plug for the warhead. can anyone shed some light on this for me.???

thanks in adv.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Snaut Rocket

Default RE: New Warhead, long time to start...

Do you prime it.
usually all you have to do is have some fuel in the carb and a hot glow plug and it should start right up.
Unless your not getting any compression. But sounds like its new.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM
davido666

Take the oneway bearing off on the back of the engine starter and check for a lot of oil. Clean the crank shaft end off and clean out the inside of the starter plate and try it again. Are you using the starting method of placing your finger over the exhaust pipe and turning the engine over a couple of times. You should see the fuel move thru the fuel line. If it isn't then check the fitting on the muffler for a blocked hole. Push a small allen key in if it is to clear the hole. Make sure you are not flooding the motor. This can damage the one way bearing for starting. Take out the glow plug and attach the ignitor and look at the coil. Is it deformed or really white replace it. Have you ever change the glow plug? I have used the #8 and it works. I found a guy on ebay selling the duratrax meduim plug and I used those and they work great in the super pooper motor. Mine will start on the third crank.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
JDV500

good stuff, will check it all out.
and yes, i do put my finger over the exhaust to move the fuel thru the lines. my #8 glow plug is new or rather the replacement one i installed after the break in procedure. i need to check the lilttle hole at the pressure fitting for blockage. i'll check and /or replace the glow plug as well.

** new question; is the geared -kwik starter assembly at the back of the engine repairable.? or once it's shot it needs to be replaced.? mine skips randomly now from all the start attempts, even though the truck is only 3 weeks old.

thanks again, for the help...
Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
davido666

Make sure the screws are tight that hold on the Kwik pit. I lost one screw and the quik pit wasn't always working right. There is a gear inside that you can be replace I have seen it at towerhobbies web site. I would just order a whole new kwik pit if the teeth are worn (DTXP6033). That way you get new screws and gears and case with it. Remember the one way bearing inside the kwik pit does not come with the new kwik pit starter (DTXG0637). It is a seperate part you would new to order if it is bad. Remember to look at the on way bearing before you take it off. It can go on 2 ways. The wrong way and the right way. There also is a pin inside the motor that turns the crank shaft but you would not be able to see that unless you take the back plate off the engine. I would not do this unless you are planning on sealing the engine with high temp sealant. When you are starting the motor do you feel the motor kick back on the starter or is there large compression at times. This would mean the motor is flooded. If the truck is new call duratrax and tell them the kwik pit is slipping and they will probably send you a new one in the mail if you bought the truck new. What I have heard is that they are great for warranty and helping over the phone. I bought my truck used but I already had rc background for years with these motors. Have you set the low speed idle stop screw. It may just need to be turn in a little to increase the idle. This is a different needle for the low speed idle. Here is a little tip if you find you have to give the truck some throttle to start it. Move the servo centering dial so the throttle opens a little and that will help you to start it. Save your old glow plug to check your glow starter. Make sure the battery is always fully charged before you try to use it. You can use the old plug to test your battery. I have the duratrax wrench and I keep an old plug in the handle for testing the battery.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 PM
JDV500

thanks a bunch for all the useful info david,
yes, the truck is new, bought new from the local shop here a couple weeks ago. and i too have found that the support guys at duratrax are very helpful and take the time to address my issues. back with my top shaft gear problem, they told me if i cared to take it apart myself and locate the broken parts, they would send me what all i needed to get it back together and running correctly.
i'll break the starter area down shortly and report what all i find...

thanks again,