Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Want to know more about running in the snow?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Want to know more about running in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
D4ng3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to know more about running in the snow?

Hello, I know very little about RC vehicles, but I do know that it isn't the safest practice to run your truck in the snow without protection.

Here is a comprehensive article that deals sealing servos that would be used underwater:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/actua...of_servo.shtml

Now, I have some comments and tips from people regarding running in the snow!

Cubmaster
writes:
"Depending on your vehicle you could use a shower cap. I do on my E-maxx and it protects eveything. It's all I use."

PedeBeater writes:
"I agree that ballons do a good job keeping water out. But I would never suggest covering your esc in a balloon. If you do, I guess you want it to overheat. "

IBrakeForNobody also agrees:
"I put the steering servo and the reciever in ballons, and I left the ESC unshielded (yeah, it's a risk, but nothing happened to mine)"

j.m. writes:
"An undertray is a great way to keep everything out of your chassis, including dirt. "

evaderstbasher writes on the topic of air filters:
"i took a like sprite can, and cut it in half, and screwed it into the plate on my aftermarket air filter, making a guard so the air filter doesnt get piled up with snow and suck water in. Im sure you can find some way of covering yours, use like a spray paint lid, be creative, just make it useful."

D4ng3r, thats me, writes:
"If anything, you must richen your fuel mixture in the cold. Don't lean it out to get hotter temps! Put tinfoil around the wings, and a sock with the top cut off over top if you need to get it hotter."

dustin7837 writes several tips:
"Depending on how cold it is, keep your body shell on, and if you have beenusing one with holes cut inthe windshield for cooling, pick one up that has no holes in it. SO, for the battery box just make a fine bead around the rim of the box and let it dry fully then you will have a nice gasket. I used silicone on the servos aswell but i used baloons overtop for double protection. I have never had a problem since. The only other thing i do in the snow is to cover the hole in the chassis that is below the spurs(i have a cen mt2) and the bottoms of the diffs (as they are not sealed on the mt2s) so as not to get ice lodged in there."

And a final tip from SpikeX:

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

The Savage in the snow is quite fun, although you really don't go fast (because there is little grip and a lot of drag from the snow). Seeing it kick up hige rooster tails on acceleration is really cool. What I found the most fun to do was to find a flat, paved area with only a very think sheet of snow (1-2cm) and drive your Savage on that. You can do some crazy donuts and tricks there!
I hope you enjoyed my compilation of tips, credit of the tips themselves goes to the original posters, I just take credit for rounding them up. Have any more tips? lets hear them, and I will try to add them to this list asap! Let me know what you think of the guide. (Mods, feel free to edit this post to add content!)

Good luck, have fun, stay safe, and enjoy the powder!

Dan
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Snaut Rocket

Default RE: Want to know more about running in the snow?

hey i got a question does the esc and motor have to be water proofed or just the servo.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
D4ng3r

The Esc can get hot- up to about 60 degrees C. That temp may be too hot to wrap it in something to keep it dry, so some people choose not to wrap it at all. I think its up to you, although someone with more experience should answer your question fully. I don't think that the motor needs to be made waterproof, but keep in mind, it does need to be rust proof. again, dont take my word for it, let someone who REALLY knows what they are talking about tell you.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM
[email protected]

DON'T. I did and the plastic gets a little brittle from the cold and I froze my fingers, also burned up a steering servo. Ice was a lot more fun then snow.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM
D4ng3r

its true, you dont want to run in lots of snow (at least I dont, I know a couple on here who do..)

I'm talking 1"-2", or on ice with the chance of crashing in snow.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 AM
D4ng3r

Does anyone have any snow tips? If they are good, I can add them to the main article. I think this is an important topic, to make sure we all protect that which drains our pockets anyways.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Ken448

I waterproof vehicles using Plasti-Dip (found in most hardware stores electrical section) For ESC's I coat them in dip, but I do not coat the heat sink. That allows the ESC to disipate the heat to let it live. Servo's can be dipped as well, but most are sealed pretty good already, and receivers I usually double balloon them. ALWAYS run with the body on in the snow. It provides a lot of protection, and keeps most of the snow out. Motors do not need to be sealed, I break in brushes in my cheap motors by running them under water.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
D4ng3r

wow, seriously? running them under water, eh.. thats awesome probably took some balls to attempt that the first time! lol!

thanks for the other tips. *adds them*

...Dang! :S Its not letting me edit the post... could it be because I have already had replies to it? this isnt cool >.>

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: D4ng3r

wow, seriously? running them under water, eh.. thats awesome probably took some balls to attempt that the first time! lol!
Nah, been doing that for about 20 years LOL. BUT this is for the cheap sealed can motors, not the open endbell with removable brushes. The brushes are hard on the sealed cans to make them last longer. When you run a good (replaceable brush) motor under water, the brushes wear really fast because they are typically much softer. So, getting them wet is OK, but submerging them on a regular basis would be a no-no unless you LIKE changing brushes hehe
http://e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11
^^^^^ Good reading, this guy knows his stuff about DC motors....

Old 01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Elite_Tux487

Brushless motors are another no-no in the snow..They are more sensitive to the water and when wet the motor will jerk around untill its completely dry.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i was driving my m2t 18ss in the snow today. to bad the motor blew
Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
dakota_davies

i run my gst in 6"+ with no problems
the one tip that i could add is to take some old tires (or new if you prefer) and drill screw into them for studs