Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Associated Monster GT or HPI Savage 4.6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
HPI Savage
46.81%
Associated Monster GT
53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Associated Monster GT or HPI Savage 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
bossmanrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Associated Monster GT or HPI Savage 4.6

on a side note, get a cage for whatever truck you choose, i find it saves you tons of money and broken parts in the long run!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

whats the difference between the 4.60 and the 8.0 and is the 4.60 discontinued besides i ddont want the 8.0 its too expensive
nothings to expensive
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Im sure thats for you thats easy to say im only 13 i cant affored all this $500 crap
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
MGTmadman

The stock 4.60 is a very strong engine and will move the truck around without any problems, I have had mine for 2 years now and have never had any issues with it. The stock pipe is great for bottom end grunt and descent mid range, but it restricts the top end, if you want more top end drop a tuned pipe in it and regear it. As far as which truck you should get? That choice is yours to make, I cannot advise you on the Savage as I have never owned one. Good luck with whichever truck you choose and above all have fun.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Iv gotten the HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR already i hope that was a good choice because im new to Monster trucks
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
holinger91

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

I actully want the MGT but the savage weigs less and and and accels faster but the gt is stronger and bigger
i never seen anyone stutter when they type the savage is actually more durable out of the box. are you thinking the MGT 4.6 or 8.0? are you gonna race at all?
you have no idea of the people out there man.... we've got a foreigner at out school who types with a spain accent..... crazy stuff.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Iv did that purposly........
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
bossmanrage

grab a MGT 8.0.. i just got one today, and it ROCKS!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

iv already got the savage x 4.6 and that link doesent work
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
absoluttorque

Bossmanrage, thanks for the comparison. I am looking to get a MT to bash with outside of the track. At first I was looking at the LST2, but it is pricey and I've heard it is hard to work on. Now it's between the savage and mgt 8.0 and being that it's just a basher if it's easy to work on that's key since I'm spending enough time as it is working on my racing vehicles. Is there a roll cage available for the MGT 8.0? Also, is it true that the trans is all metal gears? I'm looking for something very durable. I had the original savage but it was a involved job to do a teardown and the design looks similar, plus I have all associated at this point (T4, 18T, B44) and the 16.8V E-maxx that I will be selling breaks a lot so the revo isn't really an option for me, I've heard it takes a lot of upgrades to make it a basher. Thanks everyone for your views on these trucks.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:43 PM
bossmanrage

The LST2 is an awesome truck, and it really isint as bad as some people say it is to work on, i find the steering on them far superior to many of the others out there, but yes, it is usually the more costly initial investment,

The savages have changed quite a bit since the old 25 days, the new 4.6X and SS have redesigned front trays for the electronics and whatnot, (desperatly needed and much easier to use than pervious models) the thing about the savage, and i think the reason it has such a "cult following" is its pure reliabilty and ability to bash and take such a huge punding without breaking, my revo can out speed and out manuver the savage, but it spends twice the down time with half the play...

its all a matter of balancing what is important to you, and your use of the truck

my personal opinion, the MGT 8.0 is an amazing truck, tons of power, its fairly comparable to the savage for durability, ( not quite there, but damed close) and its a really easy, user friendly truck to work on, and they have upgraded many of the usual weak points right from the factory.

it does have metal gears in the tranny, it needs it with all that power... i have been running mine for a few weeks now, and have yet to have a problem with it, its a blast to drive!

i got a cage for my 8.0, i think it was made by hot bodyz, but i will ahve to check and let you know for sure,

if you ahve any more questions about any of them, drop me a line, i would be more than willing to awnser any question i can.

Best of luck.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
absoluttorque

I noticed the Losi does have the dual servos, on the MGT if I added a steering upgrade and an ACE 1015 steering servo (201oz of torque) would that make the MGT8 comparable to the Losi? I think the Savage seems to have one steering servo and it is still incredibly durable from what I've read. Also, is the MGT so easy to work on because everything is laid out so nice on the chassis?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

the reason i got the savage is because of parts avalibility and theres several up-grades for it also the durability was a factor. everyone i asked about durability between the two trucks they said savage so iv gotten the savage x 4.6 because im just going to bash with the MT and im not going to go easy on it so i hope it works well!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
bossmanrage

To be honest with you, i dont think your going to notice a steering problem with the MGT8 i have been runnign mine thru construction sites and feilds and whatnot, and it turns good, mind you its winter up here and we got tons of snow... so i dont expect the best turning results out of my trucks... but they do good when provided with some grip,

i put the tires off my GST 7.7 on the MGT8, and with the chevron tire tread, it does really well, i would invest in something other than the steering upgrade if your are looking to dump some money into the 8.... like i said, i know the cages can be expensive, but i try to run most my trucks with them, they save soo much agravation int he long run...

side not about cages, with a pretty simple mod, they can be made to come off on a quick connect style pins, you still get the strength of the cage, but sometimes it can get in the way for repairs, just makes like a little simpler!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
bossmanrage

yeah the MGT is easy cause of all the extra space, its all accessable. the savage X is suprisingly easy to work on too... it looks a little overwhelming at first, but once you get into it, its fairly simple.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

how do i get to the engine mounts on the savage there coverd with the frame and it looks like space is really small on the savage but i still like it its awesom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM
absoluttorque

Man, this is a tough choice, I started with wanting the LST2, but after looking into things, it is now between the MGT8 and Savage, hard choice, are they about the same as far as durability? As far as parts I get most of my stuff online since the closest hobby shops are a ways away. The track I race at stocks a lot of associated parts too, so I'm guessing they will stock a lot for the MGT, but I'm hoping I won't need parts very often, I plan on getting the RPM A-arms, and some heavy duty bumpers and shock towers once the stock ones break, and maybe some new axles if I need them, but those items I think are pretty typical weak spots on most models. The other hobby shop thats a little closer does mostly traxxas stuff, but after my E-maxx I'm not very impressed plus they don't know much about what they sell there.

Also, anyone consider fuel mileage? Does the MGT 8 get horrible fuel mileage or does a tank last about as long as the Savage X 4.6? I don't want to go through massive amounts of nitro fuel since this truck will be just for fun, I use Lipos on the models I race with since I drive them a for practice.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
bossmanrage

untill you mentioned it i hadent really considered my fuel consumption, i think when i bought the mgt8 i had it set in the back of my mind that it would be more of a pig on fuel, but now that i consider it, i dont think its bad at all, especially since im running the LST2 with it all the time, and it too has the 150cc tank, and they are getting close to the same mileage.... i havent stepped my MGT8 into the leaner side yet, as its still being broken in, so that almost lead me to believe the MGT8 is better on fuel?.... im going to look into this!

like i said i have been bashing my MGT8 fairly hard since i got it, and its has yet to break, its been running along side the wife's savage quite a bit, and neither have needed repairs, so i would think its safe to say they are equally durable and reliable....

my way of looking at it is: savage and mgt are both excellent trucks, you wont be dissapointed with either, but everybody and their dog seems to have the savage... i would go with the less seen one... especially if your buying parts online, cause then the downtime between crashes is relativly the same no matter what truck you pick... so why not go the road less traveled...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 AM
absoluttorque

True enough, plus I already have all associated vehicles and I'm more than happy with them. But the savage is tempting. I guess it's between the Savage and MGT 8.0, let me know how fuel mileage looks. I don't want to be going through a whole tank every 8 minutes. The Savage is more popular but you for sure have to get everything online where I am and it looks to be a little harder to work on. The MGT should be easy to get parts for and it looks pretty darn easy to work on. If it's as durable as the savage and doesn't consume much fuel I'll probably go that way. We'll see. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
jombo

ever since i got the lst2 the mgt 2 savages genesis nemesis and a few others sit on the shelf. absoluttorque dont buy anything yet meet me at the woolcot track and i will bring any of the trucks you want to test out before buying it, i can garantee that you will either pick the st1 or the lst2.